First Time Cruise - Need Help!

Lessum

Hi All,

I have read about 20 pages of old thread regarding cruising with small children...but I do still have some questions and concerns....

I would appreciate any help! We have a 4.5 yr old and a 15mo old (at time of sailing)

We really wanted to book on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas so as to take advantage of the in room babysitting for the kids in the evening as well as the Baby Splash Zone for the 15mo - however I am afraid we won't be able to afford it - even in the cheapest interior cabin. In addition, initially I thought - but RCCL staff say they are unsure of this now that even the interior staterooms had a privacy curtain between the bed and sofa so that when the kids are trying to go to sleep...they aren't staring at us. The privacy curtain was something I was interested in.

As we noticed we may not be able to get that ship in our budget I started looking into Carnival more since the prices were lower. We know there is no in room babysitting but they now do offer some (very limited) hours for the 15mo old for group sitting. In addition, we can get a larger - possibly even a balcony cabin for less than the interior on RCCL. Unfortunately though we know they do not have privacy curtains - at least that's what we have been told (however I have found a lot of info from all cruise lines depends on who you talk to - even an agent found that when trying to confirm something for me). So if you kno differently - please tell me.

As for Carnival, we know babies in swim diapers are not allowed in the pools (although I have read that some people don't follow that rule). I have read a lot about bringing a blow up baby pool for the deck and putting it up near a drain - however I still have a question - HOW DO YOU GET WATER IN IT? Do you take it from the ship's pool? If so, with what?

Also, as for strollers - any recommendations - I would like to bring a double if it is feasible as my 4.5 yo still will sit in one - especially if we are in port shopping. Suggestions - front/back, side by side? My front/back stands up when folded but is big...a side by side is hard to get through doors. We will probably also bring a back pack carrier for the little one for if we go to the beach.

So - not sure what to do...pay the higher price and have the in room sitting (although I have read stories where it's not available anyway), the privacy curtain and the baby splash zone....

OR ...go on the lower price Carnival and use group sitting as available for the little one, have a balcony (possibly) but no privacy curtain, and bring a blow up pool...

Please keep in mind that we have NEVER cruised before so don't know many of the logistics.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!!!

Where are you thinking of going? For how many nights?

If you are taking a 3/4 night cruise on Carnival, the fact that babies aren't allowed in pools might not matter to you since you might be off the ship a good deal while in port. If you are thinking of a 7 nighter with a few sea days, for instance, then this would matter more. If you do bring a blow up pool then you can get some water from the showers on the pool deck. You could use a little beach bucket to fill it up, and then empty it there when you're done. It really won't be much water at all.

I think in your circumstance, I would choose Carnival. If it's cheaper to have a balcony room, then do that. You won't need a curtain if you and your hubby can hang out on the balcony while the little ones sleep. Also, if you're concerned about in-room sitting, then again, go Carnival. There have been some stories lately about it not being available on RCI, and if that was the case, you'd have no options for your 15 month old. But again, what itenary interests you more?

Just some thoughts and I'm sure you'll have a GREAT time no matter which line you choose!

Thanks for your reply! We are thinking a 7 night cruise since we have to drive 9-11 hours to get to the port - depending on which one we choose. So, to go that far for a 4-5 night cruise seems pointless to me - especially with two small children in the car! As far as itinerary, we don't really care to be honest. We are just trying to get away - see something new and relax. My husband is due home in just under 7 weeks after a year in Afghanistan - so the where is less important than some of the other things. The important thing is for us to just vacation together.

I read a lot of stories about the in-room sitting not being available on the RCL ships after people boarded. I would be pretty annoyed if we went with that line for that reason and then got on the ship and found out it was available.

Thanks again for your suggestions....

If anyone else has any ideas or thoughts on anything I would greatly appreciate it!

Some of the Carnival ships have a small baby pool at Camp Carnival...we are going on Freedom and from the pics I've seen, this ship has one...so you wouldn't have to carry your own baby pool. I don't know the ages of Camp Carnival...don't know how young kids can be to participate or get the babysitting after hours for a fee.

I don't see too many strollers in ports, but if you don't get the answers here you are looking for, try the Disney board...even though you are not going on a Disney cruise, someone may already have answered a stroller question...or you can ask it there anyway.

I think you will have fun on either line, but it usually comes down to price for us too, and I personally don't think the RCI quality is any better than Carnival...I know people disagree on this, but I've always had a great time on Carnival for less money. Our kids are going on their first cruise in December, and we were able to get a balcony on Carnival for a lot less than what we'd pay on RCI...I like both lines though...really comes down to what your preferences are. I agree about the curtain, but if you keep your curtains closed (if you have a window or balcony), I think it's pretty dark in the room. If you have an interior, it will really be dark, and the kids won't know it's even morning!

Have fun whatever you decide!

Thanks for your thoughts! It's always helpful to hear from others. Especially since we are clueless when it comes to cruising!

The curtain would be nice when trying to get the kids to go to sleep...but I guess if we have the balcony that is where we will be until they are asleep. I understand things are going to be different with routines and all...but am nervous about the logistics.

I know what you mean about getting a balcony on Carnival for less than RCI. I see you have cruised on several Carnival cruises....any thoughts for picking a ship?

Also, should we have any thoughts/concerns regarding ports that tender rather than dock? We are travelling in January. Wasn't sure how this would work with a stroller - don't really know what the boats are like.

Thanks again!!!!

Make sure you look for those military discounts! In fact, I know that Disney is running military discounts. It might not be quite enough off because they are so high to begin with, but worth checking out - they have the privacy curtain, a nursery to care for little ones, AND a pool for the non potty trained!

I would HIGHLY recommend that you not base your choice on the in-room sitting. It is really, really dicey - maybe it's available and maybe it isn't. We sailed on Celebrity and booked that cruise because of the in-room sitting and they decided to temporarily discontinue it on that ship - we found out upon boarding. This feature seems to come and go on ships, and even when it is theoretically available, they might not have enough personnel to accommodate you. This being the case, I wouldn't use in-room sitting as a big criteria in making my decision.

Best of luck in your cruise planning!

PS - I just saw your post regarding tendering vs docking. Definitely preferable to be in ports where you do not have to tender. It's not a deal-breaker, but given that you will have two little ones with you it is just more of an ordeal. If your ship is docked, you just walk on and off the ship as you wish. When tendering is required, you might need to wait on line for long periods to get on or off the ship, or wait for tender tickets or both. And getting on and off the tender with little ones and all of your equipment, while doable, is not enjoyable.

A side by side stroller would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to navigate around many areas of the ship. Tandem is much better and is definitely more considerate of other passengers who are also negotiating things like narrow passageways and elevators.

beachchick

Thanks everyone! Yes I am definitely thinking I can't rely on the in-room sitting at this point. In that case I would probably just go with Carnival since I know they at least have SOMETHING for the youngest at certain times. In addition we can get a better cabin. As for military discounts - we are checking - many do not have them for January at this point - Disney especially - their's expire in December and they have not announced what/if they will have in January.

Thanks for the info about tendering - guess I will have to look more closely at the ports when choosing now as I think one of the itineraries I looked at 3 of the 4 were tendered, not docked. My husband have been to Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen (which I am guessing is close to /similar to Costa Maya) so we were trying to avoid going back to BOTH of these. One would be ok...but were hoping not to do two. Any suggestions for us on places to go????

Beachchick - yes that's what I was thinking about the side by side - we borrow a friends at times and her's is the Jeep kinds which is nice because it folds up small....but it's wide when open. Our double is a tandem which as I said when it folds up it does stand on it's own but it's large and weighs about 30lbs. The other option would be to bring two small/umbrella strollers I guess. I just know if I don't have somewhere for the 4yo to sit - she will inevitably want to sit - and she also still will nap in a stroller if she's tired enough.... So I am better off having something than not....

Thanks again...and keep the suggestions coming!

As I looked at itineraries again...I see we are going to either probably have to deal with tendering or go all the way to Miami to get the cruise. It seems a lot of the itineraries out of Tampa and Port Canaveral on Carnival go to ports that are tendered. HHHMMM....not sure we wanted to drive all the way to Miami - that's another 3-4 hours probably.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Now I am concerned....

I don't know where you live - but since you must drive so long for Florida, have you thought about sailing out of Baltimore instead? Both the Carnival Pride and RCL Enchantment of the Seas sail out of there and have great prices in January.

I don't know where you live - but since you must drive so long for Florida, have you thought about sailing out of Baltimore instead? Both the Carnival Pride and RCL Enchantment of the Seas sail out of there and have great prices in January.

I would rather drive to Florida, even with small kids. Cruising out of Baltimore or NYC in the winter would not be fun to me, but that's just me.:)

OP, soooooo happy for you and your family that you will all be back together again!!

Sounds like Carnival is the way to go. Make sure you write back when you get home and tell us how it all worked out. :)

We were already planning to go to Florida anyway to see family in Orlando so we want to go out of a port in Florida.

I am also finding at this late date that the Carnival ships out of Port Canaveral have their early and My Time Dining already filled up...so that may not leave us much choice except to go out of Tampa and tender or head further south... We can't do late dining with the two little ones...

Sandytoes - THANKS! We are so excited...can't wait - just under 7 wks now til he gets home!!!

Archived