An Exhaustive Review of Our Exhausting Hawaiian Adventure

kwbound

Loving this review, thank you for putting so much time and effort into your adventure report. I too am very detailed when planning a major trip, want to see and do as much as possible. My questions is; how close is this snorkel company? Can't wait to read the remainder of your trip.:o

Hi. If you maps.google.com "Maui, HI", you'll see that it looks like an "8" laying to the left. The ship docks at the northern side of the neck. If you go due south, you'll see Makena, and off to the left a small cresent in the ocean (Molokini). Makena looks to be 15 miles or so from the dock.

Earlier Donna said the food was better at the buffet than in the main dining room. I was on Pride of Hawaii, and it was the same for me. The food was the same food served in the main dining room, plus some.

Some of the "ports" are industrial, but close by will be shopping and water sports.

When you say close by.......can we walk or will we need to rent a car?

Aloha,

I've been a member of CC since 2003 and this is the best review I've ever read! I'm serious! You may not have told us everything that we WANTED to hear, but you've told it straight up! Pictures too! It's taken me a couple of nights to get through it, but it's been fun reading.

I need to print and get started with my highlighter! I hope you check back often so we can fire off some questions. Since we live on the island of Oahu, we will be using the POA as our floating hotel....and understand it won't be the same as our other cruises. It still comes out much cheaper to take the cruise instead of island hopping. If you include RT airfare for two, hotel and food to any island for a long weekend..you spend somewhere between 500-1,000. If I do that for three different islands plus separate boarding for the pups....I'm way over the cost of the cruise. Floating hotel here we come!

Mahalo!

I am really enjoying the review.....I have a few questions...we are going in June 2011...6 adults and 3 kids (ages 7,8,9). How was the buffet food....burgers, pizza, etc? Did any of the ports have water sports, shopping, etc.

When you say close by.......can we walk or will we need to rent a car?

I did not have any burgers or pizza, so I can't comment directly. But DH is a VERY plain jane diner and he had burgers several times in the buffet. Actually I think the guy cooking the burgers had learned how he liked it by the end of the cruise, so it must have been ok at least. The Cadillac Diner has burgers, hotdogs, fish n chips, etc. I had the fish n chips and it was good. Not the best I've ever had, but fine. Make sure you take the kids to the Cadillac Diner for lunch during the Kauai sail away so they can the the tug boat doing circles.

As are as water sports and activities being close enough to walk to, Kalapaki Beach in Kauai is the only place that I can think of this really within walking distance of the ship, especially with kids in tow. At the other ports you will either need to rent a car, hire a taxi or arrange for excursions that provide transportation. We rented cars in every port except Kona and there we took a taxi to our excursion.

What time did you head up to the Waikiki Bar? You said you had perfect timing... just wondering!

The Daily said that the Na Pali sail by would start at 5:45pm. The time stamp on the first photo we took of the sail by, which was on Hanalei Bay was at 5pm. So I would say go up about 45 minutes before the time sheduled on the Daily, and the same with the lava sail by.

Loving this review, thank you for putting so much time and effort into your adventure report. I too am very detailed when planning a major trip, want to see and do as much as possible. My questions is; how close is this snorkel company? Can't wait to read the remainder of your trip.:o

When I said I picked this catamaran because it was closest, I meant because it was closest to Molokini, not because it is closest to the ship. All of the excursions to Molokini will leave from the opposite side of the island from the ship. But this boat doesn't have to travel as far across the water to get to Molokini. As far as drive time, the snorkel company suggested we leave the ship an hour before check in time, which we did. It took us about 40 minutes to get there, but I ALWAYS would rather be early than late.

Aloha,

I've been a member of CC since 2003 and this is the best review I've ever read! I'm serious! You may not have told us everything that we WANTED to hear, but you've told it straight up! Pictures too! It's taken me a couple of nights to get through it, but it's been fun reading.

I need to print and get started with my highlighter! I hope you check back often so we can fire off some questions. Since we live on the island of Oahu, we will be using the POA as our floating hotel....and understand it won't be the same as our other cruises. It still comes out much cheaper to take the cruise instead of island hopping. If you include RT airfare for two, hotel and food to any island for a long weekend..you spend somewhere between 500-1,000. If I do that for three different islands plus separate boarding for the pups....I'm way over the cost of the cruise. Floating hotel here we come!

Mahalo!

Hey Debra - Thanks for the kind words. You are putting me in some pretty lofty company, because there have been some good reviews on the boards. I'm just trying to repay for all the helpful information I've gotten over the years.

I have two more installments to complete - our final day in Waikiki and then a wrap-up with my final thoughts, suggestions, things I forgot earlier, etc. I'm going to try and get Waikiki posted either Thur or Fri night, and my wrap on Sat afternoon. Then I'm going to condense everything and post the condensed version on the reviews board with a link back to this thread. I'm subscribed to the thread of course, so I will continue answering questions as best I can as long as people are asking them.

Aloha!

Donna

I am waiting with baited breath!! We leave on Thanksgiving, and are very greatful to have had your review to read... so informative.

Thank-you.

Sarah

I have two more installments to complete - our final day in Waikiki and then a wrap-up with my final thoughts, suggestions, things I forgot earlier, etc. I'm going to try and get Waikiki posted either Thur or Fri night, and my wrap on Sat afternoon. Then I'm going to condense everything and post the condensed version on the reviews board with a link back to this thread. I'm subscribed to the thread of course, so I will continue answering questions as best I can as long as people are asking them.

Aloha!

Donna

I am waiting with baited breath!! We leave on Thanksgiving, and are very greatful to have had your review to read... so informative.

Thank-you.

Sarah

Aloha!

Donna

It shows that you are on POA on 11/27/10. Is that a mistake? Weren't you on it on 10/27/10? Isn't that the cruise that you are reviewing so beautifully?

Judy

It shows that you are on POA on 11/27/10. Is that a mistake? Weren't you on it on 10/27/10? Isn't that the cruise that you are reviewing so beautifully?

Judy

I am the one actually doing the review (and thank you for the compliment). Sarah was quoting me. I was on the Oct 9-16, 2010 sailing. I hope to post another installment (Waikiki Beach) this evening.

Donna

Edited by kwbound

Donna - We have a starboard balcony cabin on Deck 9 so I'm debating whether or not I should watch the lava sailby from Deck 14, as you did, or just from my own balcony. Do you think I'll be missing out on anything if we stick to our balcony?

Did you go to the same place for the Napali Sailby?

Edited by CruisingGoddess

We have a starboard balcony cabin on Deck 9 so I'm debating whether or not I should watch the lava sailby from Deck 14, as you did, or just from my own balcony. Do you think I'll be missing out on anything if we stick to our balcony?

I don't think you'll miss anything. We had a starboard balcony cabin on deck 8. I liked being able to watch the lava sailby in my bathrobe and go to bed right afterwards as I was exhausted!

For the Na Pali sailby, my dad and I went up to deck 12 for the first half, also hoping to hear the narration (why NCL doesn't broadcast it on the TV, I don't know), but we could not hear. Went back down to my cabin to watch after the ship turned around. It does go faster after turning around, but Na Pali sailby happens earlier so we did not mind going up to watch a while first.

Donna, excellent detailed and balanced review. It sounds like you had a fantastic trip with lots of great memories. Numeorus people will benefit from your review and the info you provided. And your pictures made it like we were all along for the trip with you (personally I appreciate the snorkelling ones!). Thanks for taking the time to post this and also thanks for letting us re-live our recent Hawaii adventure. Now I want to go back even more :D

I don't think you'll miss anything. We had a starboard balcony cabin on deck 8. I liked being able to watch the lava sailby in my bathrobe and go to bed right afterwards as I was exhausted!

For the Na Pali sailby, my dad and I went up to deck 12 for the first half, also hoping to hear the narration (why NCL doesn't broadcast it on the TV, I don't know), but we could not hear. Went back down to my cabin to watch after the ship turned around. It does go faster after turning around, but Na Pali sailby happens earlier so we did not mind going up to watch a while first.

Thanks!!! This helps a lot!

Rebecca - I agree with Rio. I don't think you'll miss anything of the lava sailby by watching it from your balcony. You probably won't be able to hear the narration, but I know you've done enough of your own research that the narration probably won't tell you anything new. As far as the Na Pali sailby, we really enjoyed watching it from the Waikiki Bar, but I wasn't that crazy about the narration. In my opinion they started it too early, so they were describing things that you weren't actually passing yet. For people who hadn't studied maps or taken a helicopter tour probably wouldn't have realized that. They talked about Kalalau Beach long before we actually got to it.

Donna

I was just going through your review again and wondering if you have a link for Day 8 pictures which included your helicopter tour and the Napali Coast as I didn't find one. Thanks!

Sue

You're right Sue, I neglected to include the link. I'm falling down on the job! You can see the day 8 pictures here.

I have added some of DFW's pictures to mine in the album, so if they seem out of order, that is why.

I will be adding the last day's review and the link to Day 9 photos in just a little bit.

Donna

Donna - We have a starboard balcony cabin on Deck 9 so I'm debating whether or not I should watch the lava sailby from Deck 14, as you did, or just from my own balcony. Do you think I'll be missing out on anything if we stick to our balcony?

When I was on the Pride of Hawaii, the NaPali sailby was going west to east, so it was the Port side that had the views. On the lava sail by, I think they did both sides, but it's the port side facing the lava that I remember.

Aloha Donna,

Thank you again for all the awsome information....it bet it blows my books away that I just ordered from Amazon.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could suggest something without being rude. I might be getting old and confused, :D but I'm having a hard time with information like Day 1 Day 2 Day 8....It looks like some of the time the islands are visited in a different direction...so I have to go back and see if I can figure out what Day 8 was.

Now, I'm thinking I really messed up because I booked starboard on the advise of an NCL rep and friend. Looks like everyone on this board is saying port side. :confused: Should I change cabins? Deck 8 mid ship starboard....

Looking forward to more of the review.

You're right Sue, I neglected to include the link. I'm falling down on the job! You can see the day 8 pictures here.

I have added some of DFW's pictures to mine in the album, so if they seem out of order, that is why.

I will be adding the last day's review and the link to Day 9 photos in just a little bit.

Donna

Thanks Donna, great pics!

If you don't mind I have another question. Which side of the airplane were you on to get the pictures of Waikiki?