Snorkel in Roatan and Princess Cays without snorkel vest

ccheng64

How is the general current condition in these two places? Is it ok to snorkel without wearing a snorkel vest? Last time I snorkeled in Kona and Honolulu without wearing a vest and I did not have any problem. However, I didn’t know what a snorkel vest was at that time. Now I learned that a lot people wear snorkel vests so I am a little concern. Do I need to wear one in Roatan and Princess Cays? I don’t want to rent a public one so if I need one I will just buy.

I am trying to travel light so I am debating now. Please advise.

Thank you!

At Princess Cay there is an excellant hard bottom with lots to see in front of the bungalows at this stop. Tons of fish and plant life for snorklers no excursion is needed. Water in this area is 4-15' in the best viewing spots. As for a vest well I don`t know your comfort level or abilites. It is just a few feet from shore and the two times we have been there a life guard was on duty in front of the best spot. In the winter/spring the water will be very cool. Since I don`t know which beach you are looking at Roatan I would advise you err to the side of safety if in doubt.

How is the general current condition in these two places? Is it ok to snorkel without wearing a snorkel vest? Last time I snorkeled in Kona and Honolulu without wearing a vest and I did not have any problem. However, I didn’t know what a snorkel vest was at that time. Now I learned that a lot people wear snorkel vests so I am a little concern. Do I need to wear one in Roatan and Princess Cays? I don’t want to rent a public one so if I need one I will just buy.

I am trying to travel light so I am debating now. Please advise.

Thank you!

The more responsible snorkel tour operators require and supply a vest, but they're sometimes the annoying banana type. Wearing one is a good idea. There can be near shore rip tides almost anywhere. I got caught up in one snorkeling off Klein Island at Bonaire. At the least, the vest kept me from panicking.

Weight and luggage space isn't an issue with the inflatable vest. Mine barely moves the needle on my bathroom scale. And that's with the whistle attached!:p

http://www.isnorkel.com/category-exec/category_id/219/nm/Snorkeling-vests

The Aqualung is a good price. Or you could be pretty in pink. :D

I consider my swimming and water skills to be adequate.I am a Dive Master with over 500 logged dives and 380 hours underwater.I ALWAYS wear a snorkel vest when snorkeling ! You never know when you may get a severe cramp or some other nut in distress is going to try to use you as a float.The ocean is a beautiful but unforgiving place---please wear a vest and stay safe.

I appreciate your replies.

I just got another question. Do you keep your vest inflated all the time when you snorkel? Will that prevent you from diving down? Or do you wear deflated vest and only blow it up when you need it? Will it be to late if you are drowning?

I have no idea where to snorkel at Roatan yet. I am Just looking for a calm area to snorkel.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from western caribbean 2 weeks ago. i always wear a life jacket but the other 3 in our party did not. i am not a strong swimmer though and everybody agreed the current was pretty strong in belize and roatan. my husband likes to dive down and take pictures so he doesn't do the life jacket. we were there in between Paula & Richard and had beautiful weather and had really some awesome snorkeling at every port. can't wait to go again.

I appreciate your replies.

I just got another question. Do you keep your vest inflated all the time when you snorkel? Will that prevent you from diving down? Or do you wear deflated vest and only blow it up when you need it? Will it be to late if you are drowning?

I have no idea where to snorkel at Roatan yet. I am Just looking for a calm area to snorkel.

Thanks.

We were in Roatan on October 28th after Richard passed through. We snorkeled all day at West Bay Beach through Bananarama with arrangements through Island Marketing. It was specatacular snorkeling and we did not find the current to be strong in any way. There was even a brief rain shower that passed over while we were having lunch. No adverse water conditions from that at all. There were also guys in kayaks spread around in the water (to keep people off the shallow coral and in the deeper water). We did not wear snorkel vests here, but did in several other ports where mandated. We don't inflate ours, but I can't say that it is the 'safest' way to do it. My guess is that if trouble arises, most people would panic and forget to (or be unable to) inflate the vest at that time. Do what makes you feel comfortable and if in doubt, rent a vest and wear it.

You will love the snorkeling in Roatan. Better than many other places we have seen for abundant coral in many varieties, lots of various fish and clear water so that you can see it all!!

Enjoy!

You can buy a snorkel vest at any dive shop. They are not that expensive and well worth it. Plus if you own your own you know whose mouth has been blowing in the air tube.

I am not a great swimmer so always put a breath or two of air in the vest - and that's all it takes, seeing as salt water provides most of the bouyancy. My wife is a good swimmer so will typically leave her vest uninflated so she can dive down closer to the fish.

We went on the Cozumel speedboat snorkeling excursion and were recquired to wear the vest and also in Belize. I found that it was good to wear it because after awhile I did get crampy in my ankles from the flippers. Plus you do get tired and it's nice to safely float. I'm sorry I didn't snorkel in Roatan but was tired from going 2 days in a row so just laid on the beach.

By the way, a guy in our group in Belize swam back to the boat with a chunk of coral in his hand. I hope he was not allowed to keep it.

Please people, don't break it off for a souvenier. It's dying as it is.

Archived