Way overpacked!

Harbie

We are leaving Sunday on the Splendor and I packed yeseterday and I know I have WAY overpacked. Trying to downsize is tough because I have never cruised before so I want to make sure I have the required clothing for formal nights and also nice shorts and polos' to eat all the rest of the time. I understand that no swimsuits, tank tops etc are allowed in the eating places on the ship. So looking forward to getting on board! If I could I would live in my swimsuit, shorts, tank tops, flip flop and sneakers..

You can wear shorts, tanks, swim attire in the Lido restaurants, just not the main dining room.

I believe all ships have laundry rooms. I reuse clothing, and have been know to wear the same formal attire on both elegant evenings.

Have a great cruise! :D

We are leaving Sunday on the Splendor and I packed yeseterday and I know I have WAY overpacked. Trying to downsize is tough because I have never cruised before so I want to make sure I have the required clothing for formal nights and also nice shorts and polos' to eat all the rest of the time. I understand that no swimsuits, tank tops etc are allowed in the eating places on the ship. So looking forward to getting on board! If I could I would live in my swimsuit, shorts, tank tops, flip flop and sneakers..

If you have a nice sun dress or coverup for your suit you can go into the Lido buffet - just make sure only your upper cheeks are showing (ha ha). Take a deep breath - go in and take half of what you packed out and you will still come home with stuff you haven't worn. There is also laundry avail on the ship if you need. Hint - put your suitcases under the bed with a dryer sheet and use one for dirty laundry - saves room and you can take entire suitcase to laundry room when you get home.

I make life easy. I take a dressy pair of black slacks with two pretty tops. One black top dressed with some jewelry and one with more color. One pair of black shoes and purse. That covers elegant night. Two pairs of shorts with a few tops; two bathing suits and coverups that can be used for sightseeing and tours. One cardigan sweater for cool nights or days. Lots of underwear, two nighties for a 7 night cruise. Crop pants and tops for the informal nights in the dining room. Whatever pants you traveled in, you can wear to travel home (clean underwear and shirt, of course) You don't need more because first and last nights are "anything goes". Hope this helps.

LoL I totally get where you are coming from because I did the same thing my first two crusises.

I honestly didn't wear HALF of the things that I brought. I realized that no one really cares what you are wearing anyway. You'll be having so much fun that you won't care either. Remember, you can recycle bottoms and bring varying tops. The formal wear is what it is.

Don't sweat it if you decide to bring everything. In the end, you may find that you wear all of the clothes. Just have a GREAT cruise!

You can also wear nice shorts/shirts into the MDA at breakfast and lunch, just not at dinner.

A pair of neutral slacks goes a long ways in the MDA at night, and can be worn a couple of times with just a change in tops. Same goes for a simple dress which can be changed up with a couple of light sweaters or shrugs. I am cold natured anyway, but the MDA is always cold to me, so I need a sweater or shawl anyway.

Laundry suggestion: Purex now makes laundry sheets and they even have one that is "free and clear" if you are sensitive to strong detergents. These have detergent and fabric softener built into one sheet and they take up almost no room in the suitcase.

OP, we've all been there and done that!!

I follow what I call the Rule Of Two: take two of everything outer and make sure it mixes and matches. It doesn't matter what you wear during the day, and you'll be covered at night. And the laundry rooms help, too - I cruised once with a friend who packed for a week in a small carry-on and a shoulder bag that was smaller than a decent sized purse, so it can be done.

My biggest tip: don't worry that people will see you wearing the same thing more than once; it's unlikely you'll ever see any of them again, and if you do make friends, they won't care what you were wearing when they met you.

Have a great time!

I take nice black slacks with 2 dressy tops for formal night. The rest of the time I have 5 pairs of capri's that mix and match with 5 casual tops. I wear a new outfit to dinner, then that same outfit during the day the next day. I'm not taking much more than that on my 16 day TA next year. Maybe 2 extra casual outfits.

If you have a nice sun dress or coverup for your suit you can go into the Lido buffet - just make sure only your upper cheeks are showing (ha ha). Take a deep breath - go in and take half of what you packed out and you will still come home with stuff you haven't worn. There is also laundry avail on the ship if you need. Hint - put your suitcases under the bed with a dryer sheet and use one for dirty laundry - saves room and you can take entire suitcase to laundry room when you get home.

I think it's a guy. I would skip the sun dress. Ha ha

On our first cruise last year I noticed MANY people wearing just their swimsuit to dine Lido. Drove me nuts..I would like to see more cover ups and shirts over trunks for men/boys.

Other then that you will live in your swimsuit in the day time. Like other posters I wore a sundress/cover up to our excursions. Dresses at night. Not fancy ones. Just comfy sundresses, except on elegant nights.

I think it's a guy. I would skip the sun dress. Ha ha

Oops - well you never know which way someone swings. Guys bathing suits look like shorts anyway - I do suggest a Tshirt though as I would hate hairy chests and arm pits hovering over the buffet - ya never know when one of the little suckers with let go.

For formal dining room wear, I usually bring a pair of dress slacks, a few nice tops to interchange with it, and one pair of dressy shoes to match everything.

I wear my sneakers onto the ship, and I throw in a pair of flip flops in my suitcase to wear everywhere else.

What about shoes??? This is where I have issues - need dress shoes, sandles, shoes for excursions (lots walking) tenny shoes so that is 4 pair right there.

Can't help you there. Lucky for me I have small feet! I brought a couple pairs of sandals, a couple of heels, flips flops and water shoes with soles for walking. Most of our excursions last cruise we in private boats so I did not need tennis shoes, I wore my flip flops.

Archived