Talk to me about cruising with a toddler

woodmill100

We've cruised a few times but not since our son was born almost 2 and a half years ago.

I've read about a couple of cruises that appeal from next March (ie before the boy is 3).

One is with P&O and heads up to St Petersburg and another (can't remember who with) leaves from Rome and does Monte Carlo, Barcelona and a few of our other favourite cities.

We're not keen on going back to the Carribean or flying longhaul (we're in the UK).

Is there anything I need to be aware of cruising with a toddler? I know I read a few years ago now that several carriers won't allow toddlers in the pool areas when they are still in swim nappies. is this still the case?

There seems to be plenty to do onboard with toddlers but can you leave them in kids clubs or do you have to stay before they are 3 - is my memory serving me right that things seem to change onbaord for youngsters age 3?

Also, on city tour days what did you do with your toddlers so they didn't get bored? I can't really see us in Rome with him in a stroller all day and not causing a scene as it is such a busy city.

Hi Neighbours! (we're near Stirling :) )

Some kids clubs, like Carnival's, accept kids from the age of 2. They have sailings from May 2011 that look quite good, and we are considering one for our family.

Yes, you are correct in thinking swim nappies are not allowed in the pools - I believe this is for all cruiselines. Still, there's a chance your wee one might be potty trained by then so it wouldn't be an issue.

For places like Rome, you might want to look into a back carrier rather than a pushchair or stroller - strollers don't like cobbles :) You could look into doing some fun things - going for gelato, walks in the city, check guidebooks or websites for each destination for some kid-friendly ideas.

At that age, as long as you are having fun, they'll have fun too. Too bad about the kids club (mine loved going).

Will he sleep in a stroller?

Hi!

We started cruising again last year when my daughter was 3 and have taken 2 more cruises since, with another booked for next year! :)

The cruiseline don't make the rules about potty-trained ONLY in the pools - CDC does. So no, a child cannot be in the pools in diapers/nappies (even in swim diapers). There may be an exception, based on the filtration system of certain cruise lines, but for all intents and purposes, assume that NO cruiseline will allow diapered children in the pool.

There are difference in kids clubs among the various cruiselines. Some, like Carnival, allow children 2 and up, and others allow age 3 and up. I'm sure CruisinMama, or another cruiser who has sailed different lines can fill you in on the specifics. Whether you use the service or not, and how much of the service you use depends on your and your child's personal preferences. (I have left my daughter in the kids club for a little while and gone ashore before.)

As far as city tours, your little one might surprise you! Still you are smart to be prepared. I take snacks with us (the prepackaged individual cereal boxes from the Lido and room service are perfect for this), and a few dollar store toys. My daughter also has her own kid-tough digital camera (VTech) that also takes videos and has a few video games on it. "Kid Cam" provides us with a LOT of interesting and funny perspectives on our trip. LOL!

Hope this helps!

Not sure if this would work for you or not, but I have read a couple of very positive comments on Cruise Critic regarding the Cunard line for young children. Reportedly they have excellent facilities for very young travelers, wonderful nannies, and so forth. If you can find an itinerary that appeals to you, I'd consider them. Best of luck in your cruise planning! It is definitely different sailing with little ones, but still a wonderful holiday.

Archived