Who does the upgrade fairy call?

larrymeador

It doesn't matter who you've booked through. What matters is how the cabins are selling on your particular cruise. If all the inside cabins are booked and more people are trying to get inside cabins, the up-sell fairy will call people to try to get them to buy higher, so they can sell your room.

If all the balconies are sold out, they'll try to up-sell you to an extended balcony or higher floor.

We had the coveted aft-wrap balcony on the Freedom and got the up-sell call to a suite......we stayed in the aft-wrap because the size of the balcony was more important to us than the size of the room.

Notice I say up-sell instead of upgrade. This way, they get more money from you, plus can sell to another person who might not buy because they can't get the category they can afford or want.

i only know what happened too me. in june there were 8 cabins booked seperately for our brother/sister alaska cruise. a couple early saver and one last minute reservations were made. 3 of them got the '' call '' and got great upgrades. i called carnival to ask if i could get any kind of upgrade or anything ( never has happened too me yet ) . the person i talked too asked what their last names started with. i said A and C. she said that is why, they were using the top part of the alphebet for the calls. :eek: you are kidding i jokingly said. her reply was " sorry too say that is why i never got the call ". once again i cursed the person i had married and kept his last name that started with an M. this is my experience with the up-grade fairy. i hope someday to get the call and jump on the offer. ;)

A while back I got a free upgrade to a suite, and today got the upsell Email. It was a good deal so I took it. 3 decks higher in almost the same position for $20 p/p. When I got the free upgrade I asked how they chose it and she said it was based on my cruise history and the luck of the draw.

just today before noon i got a call about the upgrade to a ocean suite. the cost was going to be $540 for the upgrade. we already have a balcony cabin and the cost for a larger room and a larger balcony is not worth $540 to me.larger bathroom also. i will keep what i have and spend the $540 on my vacation. also said i would have VIP check in.

Do you have to book your cruise directly through Carnival for the upgrade fairy to call or will they call if you book through the Carnival Vacation Club or some other cruise outlet?:confused:

I can't tell you who the upgrade fairy calls but, I "can" tell you who she doesn't call - me!

I have NEVER sailed before and our first cruise is in December and I got an upgrade e-mail this week! I was super excited and we took the upgrade of a balcony on upper deck to lido deck for $40!! I sure was excited :-)

the lady that I talked to said that it's a new promo that they are trying. You have a better chance to do it if you are on the boat for something special (we are for a birthday and our 10 year anniversary) and if you booked directly through carnival (which we did too).

I will probably NEVER get it again, but man it will be super nice for our first cruise!

Archived