How to get to Champagne Reef from port?

kendon

We were just in Dominica mid Sept on a Princess cruise. We did an excurision through the ship to Champaigne Reef. The reef was really wonderful. That said, the entrance area to the reef from shore is basically rock. Not boulders but, large rocks, no beach area, no facilities. Getting there via the water on a private or ship excursion would be your best bet.

We were just in Dominica mid Sept on a Princess cruise. We did an excurision through the ship to Champaigne Reef. The reef was really wonderful. That said, the entrance area to the reef from shore is basically rock. Not boulders but, large rocks, no beach area, no facilities. Getting there via the water on a private or ship excursion would be your best bet.

cruz4two - can I ask you a question about the tour you did? Was the tour done on a catamaran and if so, how did you enter the water? Were there steps from the boat lowered into the water? Was it mandatory to wear the snorkel vest?

We have this excursion booked for our April visit. I'm looking forward to it.

The best way to get to Champagne Reef depends on what you want. We took a taxi last spring, were the first ones there (our taxi driver even picked up one of the employees along the way, who then took us down to the "beach" area, showed us where to go, etc.), and didn't leave until 4 hours later. The only reason we left then was because we had asked the driver to pick us up at that time, not realizing how much there was to see.

Our comment about the people on the catamaran? "Gee, they don't get to stay long...glad we're not on that." I hope someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure it was there less than an hour.

The water can be chilly, but I just returned to the "champagne" part, which was like bath water, until I warmed up, and then went back out.

Tweedy, no, unfortunately it was not a catamaran, more like a dive boat. It did have a ladder and back deck for entering and exiting the water, even a shower to rinse off in. I'm not physically strong but had no problem exiting the water using the ladder. Yes, we were required to wear life vests. My husband hates that but I have my own so obvisouly don't mind. I hope you enjoy your excursion as much as we did.

...Was it mandatory to wear the snorkel vest?...

I've noticed that every cruise sponsored, any many private, snorkeling excursions we've been on require you to wear a snorkel vest. But if you are comfortable without one, or want to dive down, they do not require it to be inflated - just worn in case you need it. So I normally just press all the air out and wear it deflated as I like to dive down to the coral. My wide likes wearing them inflated but after getting sick on a few cruises is very leery of putting her mouth on an inflation valve that other's have used - so she'll try to get one that is already inflated.

Thank you both, Lsimon and cruz4two. I found a picture last night of the type of boat used and it is definitely not a catamaran (which I would prefer). I'm going to think about this and whether this is something I really want to do.

Thanks for the feedback.

The best way to get to Champagne Reef depends on what you want. We took a taxi last spring, were the first ones there (our taxi driver even picked up one of the employees along the way, who then took us down to the "beach" area, showed us where to go, etc.), and didn't leave until 4 hours later. The only reason we left then was because we had asked the driver to pick us up at that time, not realizing how much there was to see.

Our comment about the people on the catamaran? "Gee, they don't get to stay long...glad we're not on that." I hope someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure it was there less than an hour.

The water can be chilly, but I just returned to the "champagne" part, which was like bath water, until I warmed up, and then went back out.

Just back from the cruise today. We took a taxi to Champagne and the taxi driver (Curtis) was wonderful. We went for a Dominica highlights tour prior to the reef. It is extremely rocky, no sand, and tricky to get in to the water from shore. Saw some nice fish, but the coral is in bad shape.

I agree with you about the catamaran tour. They didn't stay long at all.

I was there about 2 weeks ago. We rented a taxi for $15 each (Jerry, I think), and he drove us to Champagne Reef, giving us a wonderful, informed tour of the island on the way.

Upon arriving at the beach (???), he guided us down the long pier and long rocky area where we could keep our things, and then showed us where we could probably find the best snorkeling and bubbles. We were there for a couple of hours and it was probably enough for that day. Our group saw lots of fish, someone saw an octopus, someone saw a baraccuda, and many, many fish. And the bubbles, of course.

Not bad for 15 bucks each. With a nice little tour of the island. We certainly felt that we got our money's worth and did better than the folks on the ship's excursion who took the catamaran and paid much, much more.

Edited by g8rfan94

• 2 weeks later...
We are planning to take the public bus from the Old Market in Roseau, for EC$3.50. Snorkeling should be another US$2 per person Marine Reserve fee, collected by the staff at Irie Safari.

Hi. I'm very interested in more information about taking the public bus to Champagne. Did you do it? How was it?

Thank you

Hi. I'm very interested in more information about taking the public bus to Champagne. Did you do it? How was it?

Thank you

Will be doing it Jan. 11. I'd let you know how it goes, but it looks like you'll be there the day before us! My information is from the Bradt Travel Guide by Paul Crask, which is fairly recent and seems reliable. Taking public transportation in the Caribbean is always a fun and eye-opening experience.

• 1 month later...

I've just came back from my cruise. I was thinking about take a tour that will take us to champagne reef, titou gorge, and trafalgar falls. We were 5 people and when I asked reyno he said that he was going to do it for $48pp and 1 was free, then when I said yes, he said: "oh sorry, no free for you, that was for another group". So I decided to make my own tour:

We took a public bus that was just 1 block away from the ship (public bus, but there were only us) for $2pp or maybe a little less. He left us just infront of champagne. We were there for about 3 hours and then when we were going back, at 12pm, a taxi driver who was waiting for his clients offered us a ride to go to titou (where I really wanted to go)and trafalgar falls and then back to the ship. We negociated for $50 for all of us. He stopped in many places and showed us different things. I really loved it. But the best of all was that we saved lots of money (like 80%)

• 2 months later...

Thank you

Was in Dominica last week and took the bus to Champagne Reef. It was a very cool experience. The bus system in Dominica is not as well organized as Antigua. For example, there is no "bus station". We walked from the ship straight into town right past the market square. Be strong and politely turn down the numerous taxi offers you will be bombarded with. Instead, look for the minivans parked along the curb with only local islanders in them. These are the buses. Ask for the one headed to Scott's Head and tell the driver you want to get off at Champagne reef.We waited about 15-20 minutes for the van to fill up and then we were off. If you are in a hurry, this is not the way to go. We rode through the city and botanical garden. the driver stopped at a gas station to put some air in the back tire and some more gas in the van. We had to wait for about 20 minutes to catch a ride back and it was a bit difficult to tell whether a van is a taxi or a bus. Aside from saving some money($2/person each way), I enjoyed getting a brief peek into what life is like on the island plus it added a litle adventure to the day.

• 2 years later...