Have I just been lucky?

hlb76

Last night me and the DH watched the Oasis show everyone has been talking about. I was trying to get him more in the mood to get booking :cool:

As we where watching we where like everyone else in AWE of what goes into the "turn around". What really got us the most was the ppl traveling w/ kids and all the issues. We have 2 kids together and both kids have my madien last name. All 4 of us have passports and have never had any issues getting the kids on board w/ us. Have I just been lucky we have not been questioned or do you think they filled there papers out differently. Now I am super paranoid about next time we cruise. 4 cruises and one trip to Cancun and we traveled fine. I don't think I can handle the stress of being "that" family that might not board.

If the kids have your maiden name - do they have the fathers name listed on the birth certificates? If there isnt one then just bring those as well when you travel. If there is - you need that notorized permission from the legal father for taking them out of the country. - Passports should be the ideal way to travel with children - but you have to make sure they are not expired or dont expire while you are on vacation.

We had one person forget his passport and didnt have his birth certificate with him - since he filled out the fun pass ahead of time with the passport number (guess they run them through some database ahead of time) all he needed to board was a photo ID and to get his son in AZ to fax the ship a copy of his birth certificate. It wasnt getting on the ship that was the problem it was getting back off and back into the USA. (He also had his police ID and badge with him if that helped any?) He didnt seem to have a problem but it could vary from ship to ship and we were only going to the Bahamas. Im sure each senerio is different.

We have never taken the kids BC with us. It was the whole reason we got the passports for them and us. Less hassle in my opinion.

I guess I have never been questioned w/ any issues about last names. I do think it's getting more and more common. If they wanted a note from there father my hubby could write one then and there lol but I know it's not an offical paper trail.

Maybe from now on I will leave a copy of the BC w/ family back home to fax in just in case. I really don't care to take them w/ us since we have the passports.

It "may" seem like a waste of time, but what you could do is have him write a letter beforehand, and have it notarized, as the father of the children, that he is allowing them to go on the cruise.

If you get questioned, explain that he is their father, and show the letter.

Safer than carrying their birth certificates. Might seem stupid, but you just never know...

I have been cruising with my grandson since he was a little munchkin and even tho he has had a Passport since our first cruise, our last names do not match and he was underage. I always bring a notarized letter from my daughter granting permission to take my grandson on the cruise and also granting me permission to approve any medical attention that he may need while on the cruise (will save valuable time if there is an emergency and authorities will not have to contact his parents). This came in handy on a cruise that stopped in Belize and my grandson developed a severe rash on his face and neck and I had to take him to the infirmary onboard for medical attention (the doctor suggested that there were insects in the hand made necklace he had purchased on an island where we snorkeled that bit him).

We will be sailing again next year together and my grandson is now 20 years old, however, I will still bring a notarized letter of approval from my daughter with me, better safe than sorry.

Rose

Last night me and the DH watched the Oasis show everyone has been talking about. I was trying to get him more in the mood to get booking :cool:

As we where watching we where like everyone else in AWE of what goes into the "turn around". What really got us the most was the ppl traveling w/ kids and all the issues. We have 2 kids together and both kids have my madien last name. All 4 of us have passports and have never had any issues getting the kids on board w/ us. Have I just been lucky we have not been questioned or do you think they filled there papers out differently. Now I am super paranoid about next time we cruise. 4 cruises and one trip to Cancun and we traveled fine. I don't think I can handle the stress of being "that" family that might not board.

If the kids have your maiden name - do they have the fathers name listed on the birth certificates? If there isnt one then just bring those as well when you travel. If there is - you need that notorized permission from the legal father for taking them out of the country. - Passports should be the ideal way to travel with children - but you have to make sure they are not expired or dont expire while you are on vacation.

We had one person forget his passport and didnt have his birth certificate with him - since he filled out the fun pass ahead of time with the passport number (guess they run them through some database ahead of time) all he needed to board was a photo ID and to get his son in AZ to fax the ship a copy of his birth certificate. It wasnt getting on the ship that was the problem it was getting back off and back into the USA. (He also had his police ID and badge with him if that helped any?) He didnt seem to have a problem but it could vary from ship to ship and we were only going to the Bahamas. Im sure each senerio is different.

It "may" seem like a waste of time, but what you could do is have him write a letter beforehand, and have it notarized, as the father of the children, that he is allowing them to go on the cruise.

If you get questioned, explain that he is their father, and show the letter.

Safer than carrying their birth certificates. Might seem stupid, but you just never know...

her DH is the father; the kids use her maiden name. i don't think you have anything to worry about, however, if you do have a notarized copy of BC with his name, bring it with you as a back-up (and to calm your fears). it hasn't been an issue before, so why should it now? :)

Passports are "king". If you all have passports, their paternity/maternity rights have been "proved" to the folks who issue the passports..so nothing else is needed. The folks who get all kinds of questions don't usually have passports, just birth certificates.

Yes sorry if I was not clear enough. I am now married to the boys father. We did not want to jump into anything you know had two kids, mortage, dog then decided to take the plunge. I know we are a little uncoventional getting married after the kids came along and them having my name not his. But I am happy o say it has all worked out fine we just celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary together yesterday!! I know sorry TMI

Passports are "king". If you all have passports, their paternity/maternity rights have been "proved" to the folks who issue the passports..so nothing else is needed. The folks who get all kinds of questions don't usually have passports, just birth certificates.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I know we had some questions at the passport office years ago. But I figured we where doing something right having the passports!

Totally OT but this sounds like something I would love to TiVo and this is the first mention of it I've seen - what's the name of it? :D

It was on TLC and called "Extreme cruise ship".

Very entertaining on how a ship is turned around in port - the disembarking and embarking of the next group of cruisers - the amount of food and such used on a voyage and life in general on a cruise ship.

Will show again tonight at 2AM but not sure when again after that - no listing..........

Oct 27, 2:00 am

(60 minutes) Extreme Cruise Ship

TV-PG

Over a thousand feet long, 208 feet wide, and 5 times bigger than the Titanic...She's Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas - the largest passenger ship in the world! Now you have a front row seat for this behemoth's busiest day: the 12 hour Turnaround Day.

I did find the show useful. Considering I just booked a cruise today myself and my kids, I'll definitely get a letter from my ex-wife. Even though we will all have passports, I'd rather not take the risk. The ex is all for the trip anyway.

This is just wrong. Passports have nothing to do with the authority to take a minor out of the country. In the OPs case she could be ask to show that the father is OK with the trip. Since DH is father the issue would be proving that DH is the father. Easier to just take a photo copy of the BC for this purpose. Probably no need for a certified copy.

Archived