Carnival Liberty Review - Best trip ever

mommyto2kids

Here is my review of the Carnival Liberty - Eastern Caribbean

We sailed October 16-23, 2010.

I was originally planning to write my review the minute that I got home last week, however what I didn’t anticipate was the grieving process that naturally occurs after a wonderful vacation.

So now here we are 1 week later and I am at last ready to share with you my amazing vacation on the Carnival Liberty. I have adequately grieved the loss of my vacation . . . and convinced DH to do a 4 night cruise in January.

So first to introduce the group. Travelling on this cruise are my husband (34), me (30) our kids (5) and (3) and (14).

We flew into FLL on Thursday morning and used a private limo company to travel to Miami. We decided to go with a SUV rather than a shuttle because my kids still need booster seats/car seats and this company offered them at no additional charge.

We arrived at our Hotel in Miami. We chose the Holiday Inn Port of Miami because of its proximity to the port and Bayside Market Place. The price was also reasonable for downtown. We rented a suite with 2 queen size beds and a pull out bed. The hotel was nice clean and the location could not be beat. I had read that breakfast at the hotel was overpriced so we made use of the Starbucks and McDonalds which were both within a block from the hotel.

DSC_2364.jpg

Here is our view from out hotel room. The Destiny is getting ready to sail.

DSC_2326.jpg

We spent the next day exploring Miami, there is a great playground located at Bayfront Park which was great for the kids. We swam in the hotel pool and wandered the Bayside Market place.

We woke up extra early Saturday morning because we were determined to get on the ship asap in order to book a cabana at HMC. It is still dark outside and you can see the Liberty in the distance.

DSC_2481.jpg

We were a little surprised when we looked out the window an hour later.

DSC_2486.jpg

Apparently the route for the run for the cure went directly in front of the hotel. This meant, no traffic and therefore no cabs. Big problem, especially with 3 kids and 4 bags.

We waited for about 30 minutes and finally decided to try our luck down the street. Luckily we caught a taxi just half a block down the road.

The terminal was very quiet when we arrived. There were no lines for security or to get our Sign and Sail cards. We arrived at approximately 10:00am.

DSC_2512-1.jpg

My first Sign and Sail Card

DSC_2515.jpg

Now all of my wonderful Cruise Critic research has taught me that in order to get a Cabana you have to get in line right away at the Shore Excursions Desk on the ship. Well while we were waiting in the quiet terminal my husband noticed a desk called shore excursions. He went up to the desk and inquired about the hard to get cabanas. The man replied, sure what number would you like. So just like that we had cabana #5. We still had to go to the desk on the ship, but only to confirm the reservation as this cabana was now held for us.

We got Zone 3 and were on the ship by noon.

We went straight to the Lido deck for lunch and then checked out the open house for Camp Carnival. Please note that if you want to see camp carnival this is the only time that parents can go in and look around other than the free play on port days. During regular camp hours parents sign there kids in/out at the front door and can not go into the camp.

We went down to check out and see if our rooms were available early and lucked out.

We had 2 adjourned Family Ocean View Rooms on Deck 11. These rooms are OV, but with Floor to Ceiling Windows which is great for families with young children who don’t want a balcony.

DSC_2533.jpg

DSC_2532.jpg

DSC_2538.jpg

After the Muster Drill we headed up to the top of the water slide for our Roll Call meeting place for sail away.

A DOD was a must

DSCF0093.jpg

The Lido Deck Sail away party in full swing.

DSC_2615.jpg

We ate in the dining room and met our wait staff who were terrific all week.

We finished up the night with a late night swim and the kids made good use of the bathrobes.

CSC_3543.jpg

Next up - Half Moon Cay.

Half Moon Cay

I’m not actually sure that I can describe Half Moon Cay in any way that would do it justice. Luckily for me my dh took 1500 pictures of this vacation (not kidding).

As I said in my previous post, we were able to secure Cabana 5.

This cabana was a perfect location, close to washrooms and food, a bit down from the activity, but close enough that you can hear the music when you are in the water.

Now for anyone travelling to HMC in the next 4 months. They are building a new bar/play area on HMC. It is being built directly next to cabana 5 which means that there are workmen there all day building. You could hear the hammering, sawing etc, but there was nothing that was going to spoil my day so it quickly faded into the background.

If this would bother you I would recommend avoiding Cabana’s 4-6.

The cabana was wonderful. The best part is that you get to be the first tender off the ship so there is no one there when you arrive.

The cabana price included snorkelling equipment, snacks, pop and water.

It was a day of paradise.

DSC_2724.jpg

DSC_2745.jpg

DSC_2750.jpg

Ok that is going to be it for tonight, mostly b/c Photo bucket is very slow. I will continue tomorrow and if anyone has any questions ask away.

HMC was great. Beautiful island.

We were there two weeks earlier on the Liberty and by lunchtime it was a rainy day so our day was cut very short.

Did you think the cabana was worth the money? We were happy with two chairs in the shade and close to the water.

HMC was great. Beautiful island.

We were there two weeks earlier on the Liberty and by lunchtime it was a rainy day so our day was cut very short.

Did you think the cabana was worth the money? We were happy with two chairs in the shade and close to the water.

The cabana was 225.

I definitely thought that it was worth the money. It was a very hot sunny day so it was nice to have the a/c and misting fan to cool off. The cold drinks were nice too as well as the snacks since we ate breakfast really early.

The cabana made everything convenient. Towels were provided, snorkeling gear provided, snacks and drinks. Plus it was heaven to sit in my comfy lounger and watch the kids play in the sand at the bottom of the stairs.

I forgot to mention this is my earlier post.

We really struggled with the decision whether or not to smuggle alcohol on board. We decided to order a bottle of rum from bon voyage and we smuggled a small amount on board.

I bought empty travel bottles from the dollar store. The type you use for shampoo and hair spray. The bottles come empty and I filled them with rum and vodka and put them in my bag with my real shampoo etc. No problems getting it on board and it was easy to throw a couple bottles in our beach bag for HMC.

Here are some more shots of HMC including the cabana snacks, the floating mat (included with the cabana) and the bbq.

DSCF0152.jpg

DSCF0128.jpg

DSCF0215.jpg

We returned to the ship around 3pm b/c we knew the later it got the bigger the line would be for the tender.

My DS (3) fell asleep on the tender back so I hung out in the room while he napped while DH and DD (5) checked out the water slide.

DSC_2573.jpg

DSC_2566.jpg

DH and I wandered the ship that evening. The kids went to Camp Carnival after dinner and we tried out the babysitting. Cost is $6 for the first kid and $4 for the second. We picked the kids up after an hour. This is what we found when we picked them up.

They had a blast.

DSC_2829.jpg

DSC_2830.jpg

The next day was our first day at sea and our first formal night.

Our original plan was to spend the day as a family, but the kids had so much fun at camp the night before they begged to go after breakfast.

Our teenager had also deserted our at this point. Please note, I'm not sure if this is for all cruises or just ours, but teens do not see Club O2 or Circle C as fun. Both were empty the entire cruise. My teen however had a great time hanging out with new friends, swimming and exploring the ship.

My kids returned from Camp and decided that room service would be the plan for lunch.

The morning camp activities

Face Painting

DSC_2831.jpg

T shirt decorating

DSC_2834.jpg

Room Service Lunch

DSC_2845.jpg

Later that night I did the Martini tasting. 4 Martinis for $15. They were quite good.

DSC_2860.jpg

It was also this night that I discovered the Piana bar. Brad the Piano man was absolutely wonderful. I also discovered on this night that if stay past midnight they close the doors and it becomes an x rated sing along. It was hilarious.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review!! In 71 days I am sailing on the same ship, same itinerary, in the same type of room (family OV), with 2 kids ages 6 and 3 so this review is great for me and I am really looking forward to the rest of it.

Great review! I love the pictures of the room. I've never seen that kind of cabin with floor to ceiling windows. Was the bbq at HMC included for all guests or did you have to pay extra for it? Cute kids by the way!

The BBQ is included for all guests.

we had adjoining cabins 1120 and 1122

Great review so far!!!! We are sailing on the Liberty May 14, and so looking forward to it, along with a cabana too. We will be staying at the Intercontinental for a couple of days, so we will be close to the port and also out first as VIP, but it looks like if you get there early enough the vip wont really matter other than getting on the ship a little faster. Looking forward to more of your review!

Archived