to Malcolm and his world cruise report

dancer11

Just finished reading your blog on the QE last world cruise. Thoroughly enjoyed it and appreciate the time it took. We go on QM2 world cruise in January for 94 days. I am particularly struck by the weight gain, I will definitely keep that in mind, especially since you exercised almost daily. The launderette stories were my favorites, why do so many passengers act so badly?

My panic at reading how long it took to disembark at Southampton is huge. I wonder how often that occurs. Did you not get special privileges by being Platinum? Officially, our world cruise ends after the TA crossing to NY, so I wonder if there will be many of us leaving the ship at Southampton? We have a flight to the U.S. the same day.

We have only been on Cunard once, we usually sail Crystal. But we liked the QM2 itinerary and price much better.

It seemed like you were checking email a lot. Just how many hours did you use of internet time?

Your description of the last TA part of your world cruise confirms that our decision to end before the TA is the right one.

Hard to believe all of you were upgraded to Br. Club! We are booked in Br. Club, but doubt we would be upgraded to the Grills. I spoke to someone at Cunard this week and they said the legs are almost sold out.

Did you not get special privileges by being Platinum?

Only the usual stuff - extra cocktail parties, wine tasting, etc.

Just how many hours did you use of internet time?

As a Platinum/Diamond member of the CWC we got 4/8 hours of time each per segment. Despite what Cunard said (and I would check for the QM2) this time was cumulative. We left the ship with over eight hours of unused time. My parents left not having taken half their allowance :(

Hard to believe all of you were upgraded to Br. Club!

Not Britannia Club but Britannia Grill! On the QE2 there were two restaurants at Princess Grill standard - the Princess Grill and the Britannia Grill. We did get an upgrade to grill level. What is now known as Britannia Club was Caronia on the QE2 and the equivalent of the Britannia Restaurant was the Mauretania. (Having eaten in all three grills on the QE2 we felt that the BG was the best, both from the service and the quality of the food :) ).

Thank you for your comments about the blog. I am pleased to see that people are still reading it. Once the cruise was over I found it very useful to have that diary - when it comes to sorting opt photographs it is almost impossible to remember what you did in each port!

Archived