Recipe for Painkillers?

jen&mike

On a past Caribbean cruise the captain of a CAT excursion made us a cocktail called Painkillers. It was a rum drink with nutmeg on top that was awesome. Relaxing in the sun, sipping a few of these while nearly everyone else was off the boat leaves a wonderful memory (or yet maybe no memory at all :eek::eek:)! Anyone know exactly how to make these delicious cocktails. Looking to do a little pre-gaming before our upcomming Caribbean cruise on Connie. Thanks in advance;).

Jennifer

2 oz. Pusser's Navy Rum

3 oz. Pineapple Juice

1 oz. Orange Juice

1 oz. Creme of Coconut

Shake with ice and drain into a glass filled with ice. Garnish with a pineapple wedge and a dash or two of nutmeg.

2 oz. Pusser's Navy Rum

3 oz. Pineapple Juice

1 oz. Orange Juice

1 oz. Creme of Coconut

Shake with ice and drain into a glass filled with ice. Garnish with a pineapple wedge and a dash or two of nutmeg.

Cheers to you! Many thanks for your quick reply. I may try one now :D! Jennifer

We tried this drink with this recipe several times and it was not very good, then tried one more time using Coco Lopez cream of coconut. It was great. So be aware that some of the other brands just do not provide the same taste. We'd picked another brand that came in a plastic bottle with a resealable cap v. Coco Lopez that only comes in cans because we never would use a whole can before it went bad - but now we use only Coco Lopez.

Painkillers are great!

We tried this drink with this recipe several times and it was not very good, then tried one more time using Coco Lopez cream of coconut. It was great. So be aware that some of the other brands just do not provide the same taste. We'd picked another brand that came in a plastic bottle with a resealable cap v. Coco Lopez that only comes in cans because we never would use a whole can before it went bad - but now we use only Coco Lopez.

Painkillers are great!

Thanks for the tip. I do have a can of Coco Lopez and I was thinking about the small amount necessary in the recipe. Guess I'll just have to invite some friends over to try them out with me :p. I definately won't substitute any other cream of coconut if it's not as yummy. Appreciate your imput as well :)!

Jennifer

Love painkillers. they are ok with this recipe.

the best I've ever had were at the Pusser's bar at Tortola. Their's were more of a frozen type drink and tasted almost like egg nog. I don't know how much Pusser's rum they were putting into these but after 2, I was staggering back to the ship!!

If anyone has a better recipe, I'd love to hear it.

The recipe from the Pusser's bottle is the same except it calls for 4 oz of pineapple juice instead of 3

Last year in St Martin my wife asked a beachside bartender for a painkiller. The bartender looked left then right and asked her what kind she wanted. After a good laugh she explained it was a drink. ;)

That's great :)! Makes me laugh......... On our excursion we asked if we could stay on the catamaran when everyone else got off to snorkel. Just me and DH sunning in the nets. A while later the captain came out and said "you guys want some painkillers" :eek: I think he saw my shocked eye contact with hubby and laughed and told us they were just cocktails. After a few of those there truely was no pain :o.

Jennifer

The painkillers are native to, and commonly served in, the Virgin Islands and not seem often elsewhere. If you google for the recipe you'll usually find the Pusser's recipe. Any nice strong tasting rum works well. I've made them with spiced rum and dark rum both of which turn out nice.

From what I've read these probably originated on Tortola, as Pusser's claims, or at the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke or some place like that. Not surprising that they haven't heard of them on St. Martin.

We also had some on a day sail out of St. Thomas, the Rumbaba, which were fantastic (all the food & drinks they serve are GREAT!). We has the recepie but I can't lay my hands on it right now. I do recall it had more Coco Lopez than the other recepies.

For those that haven't tried a Painkiller - I sometimes describe them as a "dry" Pina Colada. Sweet, but not nearly as sweet as a Pina Colada, and served on the rocks instead of blended with ice.

2 oz. Pusser's Navy Rum

3 oz. Pineapple Juice

1 oz. Orange Juice

1 oz. Creme of Coconut

The first time I had a painkiller was in St. Martin at a now defunct beach bar (on the Dutch side) called Everyt'ing Cool. The recipe included four different kinds of rum, colada mix, a splash of Orange Juice, and fresh ground nutmeg on top. The four rums they were using were all Bacardi (Light, Golden, Dark, and 151). I've made them at home without the elaborate rum mixture and it was almost as good. But the biggest problem I had at home was getting the fresh nutmeg, and the taste of it makes a difference.

The first time I had a painkiller was in St. Martin at a now defunct beach bar (on the Dutch side) called Everyt'ing Cool. The recipe included four different kinds of rum, colada mix, a splash of Orange Juice, and fresh ground nutmeg on top. The four rums they were using were all Bacardi (Light, Golden, Dark, and 151). I've made them at home without the elaborate rum mixture and it was almost as good. But the biggest problem I had at home was getting the fresh nutmeg, and the taste of it makes a difference.

Hopefully I can pick up some fresh nutmeg in Grenada for future painkillers.

Jennifer :p

You can order whole nutmeg from Penzeys.com. You just use a microplane grater to grate it.

in freeport bahamas years ago @ lucaya there was a bar that had them. you could also order a double. it was an outdoor fun bar & the bartender was gulliver. we had a lot of fun there before 9/11. only been back 2 times since them. it really went downhill. the way it was made was rum, juices & creme of coconut. it was good. ad

Archived