Pesos or Dollars

far2manyshoes

Does anybody know if the new law has affected many businesses in Cozumel? we have just been informed we cannot spend dollars there any more but looking at the internet it seems vague and more about large amounts. We dont usually get any pesos for our couple of stops in mexico but wondered if things have changed because of this law? we are only likely to be buying drinks etc nothing major - and if we did I would use debit card.

Many thanks

IMHO there will be no problem using dollars anywhere the cruise ship stops. The law has some limits on transactions.

I doubt that there is (nor will be) any agency formed to track this.

Can you imagine 4 or 5 ships docking at Cozumel and 10,000+ passengers trying to exchange money?:eek:

Charlie

Thanks everyone that is what i thought the case would be too ... would imagine most bars would go out of business if they didnt take $$ off cruise ships! :p

That is kind of sad because it means people won't spend money if they have to be inconvenienced by the local currency and they are trying to curtail the laundering and violence problem.

It will be interesting to see over the next couple of months how this exchange issue progresses. As others have said, I can't imagine shops to stop accepting US$$ because then they would have to post signs in US$ and Pesos.....

Archived