QM2 Ladies Formal dress ???

Lumberton-Lady

I am wondering if I am going to have to buy a full length "ball gown" for the formal nights....I have numerous lovely tea length dreassy dresses that I think will be fine, but don't want to look rediculous when everyone else is wearing full length. Any info on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Hi, I would say probably 70% or so of ladies wear a "long" dress on formal nights-note...not necessarily a "ball" dress,just long. The remainder wear a mix of smart trousers and cocktail type dresses. I don't think you would look out of place, and it is important to feel at home.....personally, I love dressing up !!!

You can certainly wear a cocktail type dress and not feel out of place - or a dressy top and trousers, even a plain dark dress with nice jewelry and accessories. That's all I had first time. But it is fun to dress up in a long dress and this is one of the few places where you can go totally over the top and get away with it. I now have a whole wardrobe of long ball gowns - be warned!

Don't go to extra expense. Just bring what you think would be appropriate and leave it at that, no one is really going to call you on the carpet for wearing what you want, so long as its not dungarees and a tshirt at dinner!

Make it easy on yourself and on your suitcase, wear more than once and you'll be fine. :)

Don't stress the dress code, its not like going to visit the Queen at Windsor. :D

I am wondering if I am going to have to buy a full length "ball gown" for the formal nights....I have numerous lovely tea length dreassy dresses that I think will be fine, but don't want to look rediculous when everyone else is wearing full length. Any info on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Hi Luberton-Lady. No, you don't need to buy a ball gown. Your lovely tea length dresses with fit right in on semi-formal nights. But truth be told, most women wear full length evening gowns on formal nights, as others have mentioned. No one will point and stare if you choose not to wear an evening dress, but if you find one that fits your stlye, budget and fits in your suitcase, you might want to consider packing it. Again, it is not mandatory, but since you asked, the majority of women do wear an evening dress on formal nights on QM2 cruises to the Caribbean.

However, just as some men prefer to wear a suit rather than a tuxedo on formal nights, some women wear a tea length dress or a pant ensamble rather than an evening gown. Happily, there are options.:)

December is a wonderful time to visit the Caribbean on a QM2 voyage as the islands breathe a sigh of relief at the end of the hurricane season and the ship is decorated for the Holiday season. Celebrate & Enjoy!

Regards,

Salacia

OMG what is a tea length dress?

The closest thing I have to a dress is my dressing gown!

Maybe I could tart that up.

I've got black slacks, smart tops. shopping trip cancelled due to shoulder operation and in a sling until the day before we leave, I guess I'll give you all something to complain about, but I'll have a damned good time anyway, are you brave enough to join me?????

OMG what is a tea length dress?

The closest thing I have to a dress is my dressing gown!

Maybe I could tart that up.

I've got black slacks, smart tops. shopping trip cancelled due to shoulder operation and in a sling until the day before we leave, I guess I'll give you all something to complain about, but I'll have a damned good time anyway, are you brave enough to join me?????

Queenlover. Sorry about your shoulder operation; wish you a speedy recovery.

About your wardrobe: no worries, you won't be giving me something to complain about if you wear black slacks and smart tops. If you wore stupid tops, that would be something to complain about :D:D:D

Cheers,

Salacia

Hi Lumberton Lady, I did my first trip on Cunard QM2 last September on a TA from Southampton. I went and bought some long gowns just because I knew I would get the chance to wear them. I'm glad I did as I enjoyed the chance to dress for the formal nights.

I have since caught the Cunard bug and sailed on QM2 twice more, so the expence of buying the gowns has been worth it. You never know you might find you can't wait to book some thing else.

Catherine

I think "black slacks" and a sparkly top is a no-no for formal nights. Did see a few dressed so, some of the tops looked as if they had come from Primark:rolleyes:

I think you would have to be very thick skinned to feel comfortable amongst all the elegant evening dresses. If you are sailing Cunard do it properly!

This last time aboard the QM2, there were fewer full length gowns than before, although long gowns were certainly still in the majority. I believe if you find it to be a chore and by saying "I am wondering if I am going to have to buy a full length 'ball gown' " it sounds as if you aren't too thrilled about the prospect, then the lovely tea length dressy dresses will be fine. I saw a number of tea length gowns on formal nights, as well. So you will certainly look appropriate. But it is definitely a dressy occasion so keep that in mind. I personally enjoy buying and wearing long gowns for formal nights. There is no need for a ball gown, however, an evening gown will do, if you do happen to buy one. Try it, you may find you will enjoy it more than you think you will.:)

You people are hysterical!

Sparkly top a no-no p l e a s e! I hope that includes sparkly topped ball gowns etc.

NomDePlume, the gownless strap is still a goer, but the thong is perhaps a little too formal?

Salacia, thanks, the op totally unexpected & has put a big spanner in the works, not being able use one's right hand is certainly entertaining.

The "dress code" is certainly interesting, and perhaps if I realized it was such a issue I wouldnt have booked, but what the heck.

Some of the people on this forum are delightful, with a sense of humour and others .............

I expect wearing a hat and gloves to board will be appropriate.

Sparkly top a no-no p l e a s e! I hope that includes sparkly topped ball gowns etc.

NomDePlume, the gownless strap is still a goer, but the thong is perhaps a little too formal?

Salacia, thanks, the op totally unexpected & has put a big spanner in the works, not being able use one's right hand is certainly entertaining.

The "dress code" is certainly interesting, and perhaps if I realized it was such a issue I wouldnt have booked, but what the heck.

Some of the people on this forum are delightful, with a sense of humour and others .............

With a sling, Cool!

At least wear the thong too or you will be positively indecent!

MrandMrsBeee, haha, more like positively indecent with it on, the mind absolutely boggles!

I notice you're still out there, can you tell please, isit possible to find out what activities, lectures etc are available before boarding?

I think "black slacks" and a sparkly top is a no-no for formal nights. Did see a few dressed so, some of the tops looked as if they had come from Primark:rolleyes:

I think you would have to be very thick skinned to feel comfortable amongst all the elegant evening dresses. If you are sailing Cunard do it properly!

Oh nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

My mother fitted in well without a ball gown. She wore a tailored jacket on a lot of formal nights which added that certain something.

Mrs. Dean does dress up a little more with full length dresses.

This is not the set of an Edwardian drama. I quite agree that a lot of women do wear full length dresses, but almost all the real fashion disasters I have seen on women have been full length.

Black is a much easier colour than most to add the right accessories to make it look really smart without being necessarily a ball gown.

Are you trying to scare people off?

People try to give the impression that everyone dresses as if he were at a teenage prom. And - quite frankly - those at teenage proms cannot really be taken that seriously. Most look ridiculous.

WD

MrandMrsBeee, haha, more like positively indecent with it on, the mind absolutely boggles!

I notice you're still out there, can you tell please, isit possible to find out what activities, lectures etc are available before boarding?

Well I have not boarded yet, and I have to say that it is quite difficult to find out what lectures there are. There is a page on the Cunard website but it mostly says that we will find out onboard.

There is poster on this site, whose name escapes me at the moment, who has a wonderful home page with the ships daily programs scanned in. i am sure someone will know who it is and let you know.

Thanks,

I wrote to Cunard about 6 weeks ago but haven't had a response.

I'm sure they wouldn't be rude and ignore me.

106 days to go, happy sailing to you all!

I'd not rely on Cunard too much. Save the published guides. Ignore the advertising gloss.

Formality does not mean dressing as a peacock.

Archived