Tahiti during wet season/Dec.-Jan.

J&DfromTheVillages

Hi there Judy and Dan. The weather in Tahiti doesn't change very much during the year. There is usually a bit of rain, and perhaps more in that Dec/Jan time period. It doesn't last long. A little more humidity during that period as well. We took a 10 day cruise on the Paul Gauguin just before Christmas a couple of years ago, and it only rained once or twice. Not enough to spoil anything. I really did not notice much difference - the trade winds still blow. I have been there in June, May, and in the summer, as well as in Dec. I don't think it matters a lot which month you choose. You could have rain every day, or not at all - which was our good fortune.

One thing about Tahiti, you just never know what type of weather you will find except it is never cold. We have cruised Tahiti 7 times over the years, usually during the months of October or February. Normally we have had beautiful weather, but in 2004 we cruise mid October and had horrible rains almost every day except for two out of the 10 days, that lasted most of the day. And that isn't far into the rainy season yet. I have known others that cruised in December and January to have perfect weather.

The one good thing is that even with the rain, is normally doesn't last long, and then the sun comes out (except for that one cruise where we got very unlucky). Kind of like the Caribbean, it rains often, but usually doesn't last long and then turns beautiful again.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to book in either December or January........:)

• 1 month later...
Hi there Judy and Dan. The weather in Tahiti doesn't change very much during the year. There is usually a bit of rain, and perhaps more in that Dec/Jan time period. It doesn't last long. A little more humidity during that period as well. We took a 10 day cruise on the Paul Gauguin just before Christmas a couple of years ago, and it only rained once or twice. Not enough to spoil anything. I really did not notice much difference - the trade winds still blow. I have been there in June, May, and in the summer, as well as in Dec. I don't think it matters a lot which month you choose. You could have rain every day, or not at all - which was our good fortune.

Thanks to you and the following poster. I like your forecasts so I will be going by them. Kind of like listening to 4-5 different forecasts and picking the ones you like the best. That's what I do ! :D

Archived