Rough ferry to St. John's?

MizLizzie

We will be arriving in St. Thomas in late November on the Carnival Dream. I would like to take one of Carnival's excursions to St. John's, but someone told me the ferry ride was very rough and could make you seasick. Another family member said it depended on which ferry you took. Or which ferry port you went out of. Hmm . . .

I don't know how many ferries there are, or which one Carnival uses. But I do know that I get motion sick very easily, though I can usually manage it on a big ship. If anyone has taken the Carnival excursion, or can otherwise shed light on this subject, I would appreciate it. The date is drawing near, and I am afraid to book it.

Thanks!

Thanks. Red Hook is some distance from the cruise ship dock, isn't it? Does anyone know if Carnival transports people from the cruise dock to Red Hook? Or do they load up some sort of boat right there, and go to St. John's?

Thanks.

You will have to take a cab from the ship to Red Hook to catch the ferry. The ferry runs every hour back and forth between St Thomas and St John. When you arrive in St John, take a cab to one of the beaches. Your other option is taking a ship sponsored excursion if you don't want to do it on your own.

It is my understanding that Carnival does all this as a part of the excursion. Maybe they load everyone on a bus, and drive them to Red Hook? This particular excursion doesn't go to a beach, or at least doesn't linger. It is supposed to be a bus tour of the park. It sounded kind of good to me.

Thanks.

It is my understanding that Carnival does all this as a part of the excursion. Maybe they load everyone on a bus, and drive them to Red Hook? This particular excursion doesn't go to a beach, or at least doesn't linger. It is supposed to be a bus tour of the park. It sounded kind of good to me.

Thanks.

Yes, if it is a Carnival excursion they will take you where you need to go. My posts were meant if you were to do it on your own.

Thanks. Red Hook is some distance from the cruise ship dock, isn't it? Does anyone know if Carnival transports people from the cruise dock to Red Hook? Or do they load up some sort of boat right there, and go to St. John's?

Thanks.

We did the tour to St John when on the Glory on a December cruise. We booked thru the ship. The boat/ferry that took us over docked right behind the Glory. It was an afternoon tour so we went shopping in the am, returned to the ship and ate lunch. Then we walked off the ship and unto the boat/ferry. There was no bus ride. The boat/ferry was full of 2 tours, one going shopping/touring and one going to Trunk bay (us). The ride was choppy and I am very prone to motion, but I took 2 pills before I went. I did not see anyone sick. The reason I say boat/ferry is because it was not as large as I imagine a ferry boat. Had an upper and lower deck with all seats.

Archived