my day at Costa Maya/Majuhaul

serene56

Ihave been a member of cruise critic since 2000. I love researching my ports using this site. I know Costa Maya is a relatively new port BUT nothing i read on here or anywhere on the net prepared me for this day. Especailly in the begining.

We arrived in Costa Maya with 2 other ships- Royal's Explorer and Grandeur.

Both ships arrived an hour before we did.

I know I wanted to head to Majuhaul and had to take a taxi. What no one ever stated was the lines waiting to take a taxi. We headed to to the taxi stand to wait in the long line to buy tickets. $3.00 pp to get to Majuahaul. (yes, you need tickets to take a taxi) Yes it is per person. So we waited in the hot sun for little over half an hour to buy our tickets. There is no shade to buy tickets for the taxi- After getting our tickets we then had to wait in another line to board the buses. Again no shade and again a half hour wait.

I think that someone should be there to direct people (there is no signs that state you need to have a ticket and lots of people waited in the line for the bus without the tickets- so they had to go back -get the ticket and wait in the line for the bus again. Once on the bus it was smooth sailing. It is a 2 mile ride to the beaches. We saw lots of people walking. Nothing to see as you walk and I dont think I would have walked that. I can see where there is a lot of room for development and expect the next time we go back there will be tons of new stuff built.

The bus took us through the back way into Majuahal. All the poor people/ houses etc. To think on the other side of these houses was a beautiful beach/water country side. I can only imagine where the tourism board will build up this area then where will those people go.

The beach is one long strech of beach. there is a sandy road that gives access to the bars/food. Each bar has access to the beach in front of it.

From reading the boards we decided to try Tappa Bar. We got our table. Yes there are tables with umbrellas. We ate tacos/quissadillas/nachos and had a few sodas. Two people total bill was 15 bucks and that included a tip. Massages are 30 minutes for 20 bucks but if it is slow you can haggle 45 minutes for the same 20 bucks. Both Joe and I had a massage and the people giving the massage are good. BUT please be aware that the towels are never changed between customers. THey just take the towels, shake them out and refold them. I also never seen them leave and wash their hands between people either. Not saying they dont do it-- I just never seen them leave. Kinda gave me a yucky feeling most of the day but for $20 bucks compared to the ships $100 for the same thing it was well worth it.

After lunch and massages we ventured out to see what the different vendors had to offer. Lots of nice stuff and haggling was going on all around us. We then headed to the taxi stand to buy our return trip to the ships. THere was no line and we were in a cab with in a few minutes.

There is a posted guard at the front roads into Majuahaul. ANd we did see a few guy wearing black = carrying guns. It is intimadating to see this but they are there to protect everyone. I guess they like the tourism dollars that are being spent here and want to keep it that way. Unlike St Croix where crime was rampant with cruise passengers.

I did get the menu so I can post it...and have pictures. GIve me a few days and I will get them posted for you.

Hi serene56-

Thanks so much for the review. I'll be leaving this weekend on the Grandeur & we are stopping there. We also will go to the beach. Hopefully we get off early so we don't have to deal with the Taxi wait.......

How was the weather???

Sue

Sue: the weather was gloriously VERY HOT. Standing on my balcony I thought the port was gonna be cool and thought about putting on jeans- I am so glad I didnt. THis is the port that we got a burn. (forgot sunscreen) I also belive we got our burn waiting for the taxi tickets/bus. lol

We were on the Miracle. And theline was still ong when we came back so I dont know if it would have paid off to wait. We did get off the ship an hour after it docked- and the line was hourendous. Now remember that the Explorer and Granduer was already docked for two hours when we went to get taxis.

Serene - Welcome back. Do you feel getting off the ship was worth it? This is the only port we are undecided about. As of right now, we are the only ship in port that day, so that may make a difference.

Sounds like you had a great trip. Can't wait till we get to go!

We were there on Feb. 7 and we were the only ship that day. We only waited a few minutes for a taxi. We went into Majuhual where we had a trip to Chacchoben Ruins planned with Ivan Cohuo. We had David for a guide and he was wonderful. We got back in time to spend some time on the beach in Majuhual and have lunch at Tapas right on the beach. Super day!

We were on the Miracle too and had the mess of waiting in long lines to get a ticket and then a taxi BUT it was well worth it. I never would have experienced a village like that and I bet it won't be long before all that area is all built up-amazing to see such a little village so natural. I definitely will never regret spending the day there.

Serene,

Like you, I will be on the Miracle and be in port with two other ships. We are scheduled for 10 AM and they are scheduled for 7 AM. It appears we will encounter the same issues you did with the long lines. Is the pool and bar area just off the pier a "free" area? I have seen pictures but have not read much about it. Would you recommend taking a "beach break" tour as opposed to waiting for the taxi's to go to town? I am afraid of waiting and then getting into town and finding the beaches crowded. Like you I have read posts on this site trying to come up with the "perfect" day for the family! ANY advice or suggestions you have would be appreciated!!!! Thanks!

The beach break tours are YOU supply your own transportation so no matter what- you will have to wait out the taxi.

Even though its a wait-- it is well worth it and a lot cheaper to do it on your own. The beach is free. the water is free. the taxi will cost 5pp roundtrip. what is the cruise lines charging and what do you get.?

There is a pool at thepier. there is also shopping at the pier for those who dont want to venture to the fishing villiage. We did the Majuahaul then did the stores afterwards...

If you have kids--let them play at the pier while someone in your party scores taxi tickets.

I am waiting anxiously to see your pictures.... I am leaving this weekend!!!!! What menus do you have? I am traveling with a selective eating 6 year old.... good to know in advance what the offerings will be.

Hi Shrimp0-

I am also leaving this weekend & will be in Costa Maya next Wed....sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas...YOU?

Sue

Seeing the City? what city?? LOL no seriously- You can get those golf carts which they rent per hour. ANd drive the 2 miles into the fishing villiage. There are men dressed in balck carrying machine guns- who stand at certain points..(guard stands) and some who walk that strip of road.

There is nothing at all on that road heading to the highway to take you to Majuahaul.

Kim - I did wait an hour before getting off the ship. And the other ships were already there two hours when I got off. I dont know if crowds thin out for the taxi. I do know the line was still there when we came back.

But like I said in the first post-- I dont know if this is normal becuase Nothing I ever read here on this board or any other board prepared me for those lines.

Hi Lois2,

We must have seen you at Tapas, since the beach was not crowded that day. I was the nut with the dog biscuits. My DH is still teasing me about that! We shopped for a little while at the port, then spent the rest of the day at Tapas. What a beautiful day! Sure wish I was there now.

Joni

We were at the beach that day with Cheryl and Joe only we got there about an hour earlier. We had no lines waiting to buy tickets for the bus or to get on the bus, but we got off the ship earlier. When we arrived at Tapas there was maybe 10-20 people on the beach.

We got a table, ordered a couple of bottles of water, and sat in the shade. We were approached by several people selling home-made goods and food. We didn't partake. We did order lunch, and would just be aware that they don't add very well when it comes time to pay the bill. They had added $4-$5 to ours, but I had already had it calculated.

Cheryl and Joe did get massages. I was a little more leary as I watched them not changing the towels or washing their hands. Not for nothing, but I really didn't want to lay on a table that someone else's sweaty body had just been on.

The did offer deck massages on the Miracle for $1 per minute. I thought about getting one the day we were in Belize because I didn't get off the ship that day. But, here again, and I was surprised, the did not change the towels on the table (the one you lay on or the one you put your face on). I'm not sure about the hand washing.

The area around the pier with the shops and restaurant and swimming pool was very crowded when we returned. Many people seemed to be enjoying themselves there.

We had no problem getting a cab back to the pier though they did want to put 4 of us in the cab (3 in the back and 1 in front with the driver). The cars they use are small, compact cars. There is definitely not enough room unless you are 3 small, skinny people. We 2, are definitely not that. Even the cab driver called us fat (gordita) in spanish. I told him he was right, and there was no way we were sharing especially without any air conditioning.

All and all, it was a fairly enjoyable day.

Melissa:)

Serene, I have a question. You mention getting in line for tickets for a ""taxi"" and then you say you got the tickets and got on a "bus." Is it a taxi that takes you to the pier or is it a bus? And for your return trip you said you headed for the "taxi" stand to get your tickets for the return trip and that there was no line and you were in a cab in minutes, was that a bus too? If it is a bus, how many does it hold. If it is a bus, can one take a private taxi to the beach? Thanks for taking the time to post your review, much appreciated. Is Mahuajal it or are there other little villages and shopping areas? Thanks for taking the time to post your review, much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed it, am looking forward to it in April.

Annieeee

They call it a taxi stand, but there are so many people going to Mahahual that they use buses, like a charter bus. When you want to return you buy another ticket, but this time they have taxi's (small, compact cars). I didn't see taxi's taking people to the beach. They may after the crowd dies down, but I don't know that for sure.

I also don't believe there are other little villages. There is a shopping area at the pier that was quite busy, but those were more regular stores than just the street vendors selling their wares which is what you find in Mahahual.

Hope you enjoy your day there.

Melissa:)

We were on the Miracle too and had the mess of waiting in long lines to get a ticket and then a taxi BUT it was well worth it. I never would have experienced a village like that and I bet it won't be long before all that area is all built up-amazing to see such a little village so natural. I definitely will never regret spending the day there.

Hey Lacey Jane,

I e-mailed you at the address you gave me, but haven't heard from you! If you haven't checked your e-mail lately, drop me a line when you get my message. Hope all is well with you guys. We're getting the itch to go again - did you see Serene's post about a group cruise on 2/12/06 on the new Liberty? We were all for it, but my 15-year old son wants to come this time, so we're thinking of the Miracle again on 2/19/06 (when he's off from school) - how about it?

Sue :)

Costa Maya is broke down to two parts--either you stay where the ship drops you at the pier....or head to the fishing villiage of Majuahaul. Thats all there is== for now.

like melissa said....so many people are heading to Majuahaul that they use buses. Even when the taxi are dropping people back off at Costa maya they do not pick up any people- they jsut drive back empty.

We just got back from our cruise, with a stop in Costa Maya, and thought this port was great. We had originally planned to rent a golf cart to ride around in, but this fender wasn't open when we got there so we bought a ticket for the shuttle to Mahahual ($3 each). No line, but we were the first ship in this day. What a nice old fishing village, we hiked out of town, down the sand road, that uses old ship ropes as speed bumps, just to see the sites. Our daughters got to see the local elementary school, what a difference from what they have here at home. When we got back into town we spent the rest of the day on the beach. We skipped lunch, just had drinks, but there are plenty of places to have lunch. When we had enough of swim and sun we took a taxi back to the dock.(2$ each) We didn't have to wait here either. Costa Maya should be enjoyed now, because in a few years it will probably look more like Cozumel. It was probably a good thing we didn't rent a cart, because the charge is $15 an hour, no day rate, and if one is going to spend alot of time on the beach. it could get expensive.

Archived