Muumuu questions!

grenouille123

So we will be on the POA in December and I'm thinking about buying a muumuu as a souvenir. I don't know much about muumuus apart from a certain Simpsons episode :D so I have a few questions:

1) What is a muumuu? How do they differ from other dresses?

2) How common are they? Will everyone be selling them or will I need to look around for them? Do people actually wear them or is it a tourist thing?

3) Are they all very bright? I'm hoping for something that won't make me look crazy when the holiday's over. :p

4) Any recommendations on where to buy them?

Thanks for your input!

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can tell you that you will see muumuus being worn all over the islands at all kinds of places and events. They are a popular form of dress as they are comfortable and allow for air flow!

Hilo Hattie's is a good place to start. You will also find them at Macy's, Sears, Ross, and just about any other store that carries women's apparel. Have fun shopping!

Thank you both for your replies!

I will definitely check out Hilo Hattie. I was mainly asking because I actually don't like shopping :eek: and want to minimize my time looking for a muumuu and maximize my time exploring the islands! HH looks like a one stop shop so it fits our bill :)

I also noticed that their muumuus are made in Hawaii and their dresses are imported so I'll make sure to buy an actual muumuu!

I like the fact that they carry plus sizes. I would like to find something to order for our luau before we leave, though. I don't particularly like clothes shopping and don't want to spend a lot of Hawaii time shopping for something to wear to the luau. Thanks for the link!

Archived