GPS map for Antarctica

GVcruiser

I posted this on the Antarctica forum but didn't get any responses, so I thought I'd try here. I want to buy a handheld Garmen GPS unit to use on a Princess cruise in Jan. 2011 that goes around the horn and also scenic cruising in Antarctica. I can't find a map to load into the GPS unit. I contacted Garmen and they said they don't have a map for Antarctica. Does anyone have any advice about how to get a map for the Garmen 60csx unit. It accepts mini-SD cards. Also, any suggestions for Argentina and the Chilean fjords as well?

Thanks.

None of my Garmin maps shows Antarctica. My Garmin MapSource World Map v4 stops at latitude 60 degrees south, about midway between Cape Horn and the Antarctic Peninsula. The base map on my old Garmin Etrex Legend is similar. I know of no way to use non-Garmin maps in a Garmin GPS.

Garmin MapSource World Map v4 shows the fjords in some detail.

You may be able to connect your GPS to a laptop and have your GPS track show up on a non-Garmin map. I know that I can view track logs on Google Earth.

http://www.gpsinformation.net/ is a great resource for GPS with lots of information and a forum.

Archived