2 families of 5, which cruise is better???

rattlerwife93

We are debating between The Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas or Carnival Splendor. The Carnival cruise is actually more expensive. We are most concerned about a good kids program. We have two 9 year olds, 8 year old, 7 year old, and two 3 year olds. We also want good food. Help?!? We can't decide...... Would love your feedback, or experience with kids for either ship.

Thanks in advance!!!

We will be on the Mariner next month with our two boys (ages 7 and 9).

That being said, I don’t think I can give you a right answer on what your family would enjoy more or which is the best. Every family has their preferences. What works for one family may not work for another. Trying to pick the best between the two is like picking between car companies (Ford versus GM, Toyota versus Honda, BMW versus Mercedes and so on), everyone will have their preferences on what is best, but that may not be what is best for your family.

When it comes to kids programs, all the major cruise lines are very similar in their kids programs in what they offer. Since you don’t have any two years old, it’s not a major deal as only Carnival will accept 2 year olds in their camp (RCI makes you stay with kids under 3). Not sure you can really base your cruise selection on the small differences between the 2 kids programs.

You can do some research here on the boards to find sample kids programs for both ships to see if you think one is superior than the other.

You do realize that Mariner of eth Seas/RCI is leaving CA after January, so if want to sail on her, your window of opportunity is shrinking.

We are debating between The Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas or Carnival Splendor. The Carnival cruise is actually more expensive. We are most concerned about a good kids program. We have two 9 year olds, 8 year old, 7 year old, and two 3 year olds. We also want good food. Help?!? We can't decide...... Would love your feedback, or experience with kids for either ship.

Thanks in advance!!!

If there is any chance that the 3 year olds won't be 100% self sufficient in the potty, then I'd go with Carnival for sure. They change diapers and will assist the little ones in the potty. On RCCL the kids must be able to go to the potty, wipe, wash and dress themselves, snaps, buttons and all. The staff will not help. I think that having the one child that couldn't go to the program while the others could would be an issue for both families.

If both 3 year olds are 100% self sufficient in the potty, then it's really a toss up to personal preference. The Splendor is way newer, but the Mariner is a nice ship and IMHO, may have a slightly bigger wow factor for the older kids. It also depends on if they've been cruising before and what their expectations are.

I think either one will have a good kids program. I believe Carnival to be a bit more flexible, but that is a very subjective thought. Either program may be better or worse depending on the particular counselors you end up with that week.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived