Seattle Day Trips

stevenikkij

My family is doing an Alaskan cruise next year in July- we are leaving from Seattle. We want to stay a few days in Seattle before the cruise leaves. We definitely want to see the Space Needle, Pikes Market, etc. Also want to see orcas(probably a day trip), and were thinking of a Mt Ranier day trips. Does anyone know any good and reputable tour companies that we can use? Any help would be appreciated. :)

We rented a car three times after our AK cruises - once made a day of it driving up to Ranier and surrounding area. Beautiful with stunning scenery and great hiking - but a long, long day!

Next time we drove up to the top of Whidbey Island, then spend the entire day meandering our way down, stopping at gorgeous rocky beaches, farm markets for wonderful loganberry pie and local wines, small pubs right on the water for the best fish and chips ever, and flea markets and scenic pull-outs. Then we took the ferry back to Seattle. Wonderful!

This year, we drove up to Snoqualmie Falls for some hiking and taking in the spectacular view, then took our time driving back to Seattle, stopped for a nice dinner and crashed for the evening for our early morning flight the next day.

Consider renting a car and doing it on your own rather than a tour company. So much to see and do in Seattle and the surrounding areas. Next time - its either Mt. St. Helens or the Olympic Peninsula for our post Alaska vacation!:D

Orcas would be a hard 'day trip'. You can use

victoriaclipper.com

and do a day trip to Victoria or to San Juan Island right from downtown and its a beautiful day trip

seattletours.com

does a good winery and Snoqualmie Falls Tour

Toursnorthwest.com

does city tours and can also do a tour a drop you at your ship

You might toss "Anacortes" and "Orca" into Google and see what you get. I believe there are some whale watching tours that originate in the US that might not be such a long day as crossing the border to Victoria. I've never taken any of them, so no recommendations are possible. Those of us locals who are crazy enough to live on one side of Puget Sound and work on the other usually get an Orca sighting or two each year from the ferries.

In Alaska we have seen Orcas from the ship near an island group called

The Brothers where Frederick Sound and Stephens Passage meet - just south of Juneau. If you traverse this area you might be on the lookout (often during breakfast on an approach to Juneau from the south).

You could probably see the resident orca pods in a day trip. We have driven north to Anacortes and taken the ferry to the San Juan Islands to go on a whale watching trip. This is a long day trip as there is lots of time waiting for the ferry, etc...it takes good planning and looking up the ferry schedules ahead of time (they post them online). I have also heard of a company out of Anacortes that does whale watching where you wouldn't have to take the ferry. If you have time the San Juan islands are beautiful and you could also plan a night or 2 on the islands...there is lots to do there and it is SO relaxing. We stayed at a great bed and breakfast (Wildwood Manor) on the island and went on 2 whale watching trips 2 days in a row..the 1st trip we were blessed with lots of orca sightings. They even swam under the boat! However, the next day they had moved off and we didn't see any orcas. You never know with whale watching what you are going to see but both were great experiences.

If you're willing to rent a car, I highly recommend orca viewing in Anacortes (about 1 hr north of Seattle). I normally go to Vancouver Island for orca viewing but this yr I went with Island Adventures. There's another vendor in Anacortes; can't think of their name but I'm sure they're just as good. It was a great trip! We saw a minke whale and about a dozen orcas, plus sea lions, seals, etc. Plus the scenery was spectacular; passing islands, lighthouses, lots of sailboats and lovely homes. It was a full day; 11am to 5pm for $90. But like I said you would need a car.

I would suggest renting a car and seeing the Seattle sights during the day then spending one or two nights north of Everett where you can see Mt Baker (just as good as Mt Rainier and easier to get to), visit the Ice Caves near Arlington/Granite Falls (a glacier that you can walk to) or take a ferry to San Juan Island for whale watching. If you stay in Arlington or Granite Falls (centrally located) you are one hour or less away from Seattle and all these attractions. It is a beautiful area and your eight year old will love it! Enjoy!

Your daughter will love the outside restaurant at Ivar's on the waterfront. The seagulls are everywhere. You throw french fries to them and they go wild. Very fun. This is one of our daughter's favorite places (she just turned 9). Across the street is a trolley car. You can take that from one end of the piers (where a park is; as well as our favorite, The Spaghetti House) through the Pioneer District. Also, the downtown core of Seattle offers free bus service. Bring good walking shoes. :) Have fun!

Your daughter will love the outside restaurant at Ivar's on the waterfront. The seagulls are everywhere. You throw french fries to them and they go wild. Very fun. This is one of our daughter's favorite places (she just turned 9). Across the street is a trolley car. You can take that from one end of the piers (where a park is; as well as our favorite, The Spaghetti House) through the Pioneer District. Also, the downtown core of Seattle offers free bus service. Bring good walking shoes. :) Have fun!

Clarification. The Waterfront Street Car is no more. It has been replaced by bus service. And we also rather discourage feeding the sea gulls...they are as bad, or worse, than pigeons around here.

• 2 months later...
If you're willing to rent a car, I highly recommend orca viewing in Anacortes (about 1 hr north of Seattle). I normally go to Vancouver Island for orca viewing but this yr I went with Island Adventures. There's another vendor in Anacortes; can't think of their name but I'm sure they're just as good. It was a great trip! We saw a minke whale and about a dozen orcas, plus sea lions, seals, etc. Plus the scenery was spectacular; passing islands, lighthouses, lots of sailboats and lovely homes. It was a full day; 11am to 5pm for $90. But like I said you would need a car.

We will be renting a car- so wouldn't be a problem. I will check into Island Adventures!! Thanks!

Archived