Zipline tours in Jamaica - I'm so confused??? Need help.

saintbernardlover

Sail date is Jan 30th 2011 on Voyager OTS. It's supposed to go to Falmouth, Jamaica but not sure if port will be ready. So I assume it will either port at Ocho Rios or Montego Bay. My husband wants to zipline but my research has me totally confused since there appears to be a few to choose from. This is what I "think" I know but not sure. Am hoping to find someone that really knows and can clarify the differences.

1. Chukka Zipline Canopy Tour in Montego Bay/Negril - description says it soars over the Great River

2. Chukka Zipline Canopy Tour in Ocho Rios - description: A series of traverses ranging from 105 feet to 660 feet in length has you swinging through the Laughlands River gorge, a giant valley carved from the surrounding mountain by ancient waters (a sparkling river still flows through it).

3. Mystic Mountain in Ocho Rios - has zipline, bobsled, water slide, restaurant, swimming pool, chairlift. Not sure about the zipline features

4. Jamaica Zipline Adventure Tours in Montego Bay - description:

Enjoy the views of rural Jamaica on the longest zipline in the Caribbean, one of 5 ziplines, varying in length from 250' to the amazing 1,600' Big Timba. We welcome you to Lethe Estates, a private, gated farming community situated along the Great River.

Are there any others? If you book through the cruise, how do you know which zipline you are going to???

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Sail date is Jan 30th 2011 on Voyager OTS. It's supposed to go to Falmouth, Jamaica but not sure if port will be ready. So I assume it will either port at Ocho Rios or Montego Bay. My husband wants to zipline but my research has me totally confused since there appears to be a few to choose from. This is what I "think" I know but not sure. Am hoping to find someone that really knows and can clarify the differences.

1. Chukka Zipline Canopy Tour in Montego Bay/Negril - description says it soars over the Great River

2. Chukka Zipline Canopy Tour in Ocho Rios - description: A series of traverses ranging from 105 feet to 660 feet in length has you swinging through the Laughlands River gorge, a giant valley carved from the surrounding mountain by ancient waters (a sparkling river still flows through it).

3. Mystic Mountain in Ocho Rios - has zipline, bobsled, water slide, restaurant, swimming pool, chairlift. Not sure about the zipline features

4. Jamaica Zipline Adventure Tours in Montego Bay - description:

Enjoy the views of rural Jamaica on the longest zipline in the Caribbean, one of 5 ziplines, varying in length from 250' to the amazing 1,600' Big Timba. We welcome you to Lethe Estates, a private, gated farming community situated along the Great River.

Are there any others? If you book through the cruise, how do you know which zipline you are going to???

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

We did the Chukka Zipline Canopy Tour in Montego Bay and had a blast! You can see pic's of in my link below for Liberty of the Seas pics.

They actually have excursions listed for Falmouth now. We sail out on January 10th and I just checked this morning.

They have one listed as Chukka Zipline Canapy at Rosehall FY12. 3 hours long. Don't know if I'll book just yet.....haven't actually seen/read anything about the port being OPEN - other than the excursions being listed now.

I'm confused like you - figuring we'd most likely be diverted to Ocho Rios - which I was slightly hoping to see Margarittaville :p

• 3 weeks later...

The port in Falmouth is not yet ready and cruises are being rerouted to either Ochi or Mobay.. in any case Chukka run tours in all locations, so theres nothing to be worried about on that front... and from what I can tell RCI are using this company for their ship excursions!!

Have fun!!:D

They actually have excursions listed for Falmouth now. We sail out on January 10th and I just checked this morning.

They have one listed as Chukka Zipline Canapy at Rosehall FY12. 3 hours long. Don't know if I'll book just yet.....haven't actually seen/read anything about the port being OPEN - other than the excursions being listed now.

I'm confused like you - figuring we'd most likely be diverted to Ocho Rios - which I was slightly hoping to see Margarittaville :p

My husband does not want to do the zipline canopy at Rosehall. He wants to do the other one in MoBay that cruizeaddict mentioned in his post. If you view the pics of his zipline, there is one line called Limestone Cliff. This is different that the Rosehall or the YS Falls zipline that are also in MoBay. Also, FYI there is Margarittaville in MoBay and also in Cozumel.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Chukka is great. Lots of great lines. I docked at Mo Bay and they took picked us up in a nice van. The ride was appx 45 min, but the I saw lots of Jamaica and it is really pretty. You have to book them thru the ship. It was my first zipline, but still one of the best. Have fun!

I didn't know they offered a zip near Rose Hall. Rose Hall itself is not that spectacular, but the view from Rose Hall down to the ocean is specular. It is truly breathtaking. The grounds are nice too.

Has anyone done Dunn River Falls and ziplining all in one day?

We did the Zipline Adventure Tours Zipline when we docked in Mo-Bay this past Feb. We had a blast! We had done a zipline in Roatan prior and this zipline was much more scenic. The last zip was the best as it was super long and you got to take in the scenery as you glided along.

They are very focused on safety and their equipment is much more sturdy than the one we went on in Roatan.

Not sure how far it will be from Falmouth, but it was about a 20 minute drive from Mo-Bay.

As far as breaking, we didn't have a problem. The zip lines all came to a gradual stop. In fact some of our lighter girls didn't make it all the way and the tour guides had to reel them in. Im 5'11" 200 lbs, so I didn't have much problem making it all the way to the other end.

Jamaica is great for ziplining! You will have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

We are headed to Jamica late March 2011. RCL is offering a 7 hr excursion the includes both Zipline and Dunns River. Have any of you done this??? Also, this will be our first zipline experience. Wondering about arthritic fingers and a not so strong grip???

• 3 weeks later...
We are headed to Jamica late March 2011. RCL is offering a 7 hr excursion the includes both Zipline and Dunns River. Have any of you done this??? Also, this will be our first zipline experience. Wondering about arthritic fingers and a not so strong grip???

I'm considering this one as it seems to combine 2 of the things we've heard the most about in Jamaica. The direct link to Chukka site is here: www chukkacaribbean com/ Trelawny/ ziplinelunch.php Probably a lot of driving but at least we get to see some of the country!

What I don't know is how many traverses there are. 2? 3? 7? It only mentions the 105 ft to 660 ft length.

We leave on VOS on 2/13 and are "scheduled" for Falmouth. I'll book through RCCL and hopefully that way get onto another zipline tour if they cancel and we end up in MoBay.

rns

I'm considering this one as it seems to combine 2 of the things we've heard the most about in Jamaica. The direct link to Chukka site is here: www chukkacaribbean com/ Trelawny/ ziplinelunch.php Probably a lot of driving but at least we get to see some of the country!

What I don't know is how many traverses there are. 2? 3? 7? It only mentions the 105 ft to 660 ft length.

We leave on VOS on 2/13 and are "scheduled" for Falmouth. I'll book through RCCL and hopefully that way get onto another zipline tour if they cancel and we end up in MoBay.

rns

FWIW, an email from Chukka says the above tour includes 7 zipline traverses. Went ahead and booked. Seems like a good deal for what you get (zip line, DRF, and lunch).

rns

• 1 month later...

ikirumata,

I just read your post about Jamaica Zipline Adventure in Montego Bay. I know you said it was about a 20-min. drive from Montego Bay. Our ship wil be docking in Falmouth, which is quite a distance away, and I contacted the zipline company and they said it's about an hour and 15 mins. each way. I'm concerned about making it back to the ship on time. What were the roads and traffic conditions when you drove there? I'm worried about something unforeseen happening, such as a flat tire, accident, traffic tie-up, etc. I would prefer to book through this company rather than Chukka because they're based out of the US and from what I've read, it seems like the safest one and also the longest. I'd appreciate any input you could give me. Thanks.

• 7 months later...
FWIW, an email from Chukka says the above tour includes 7 zipline traverses. Went ahead and booked. Seems like a good deal for what you get (zip line, DRF, and lunch).

rns

We'll be there in December. Can you recommend which zipline to go with? We'll be on RCI Voyager of the Seas. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
We did the Chukka Zipline at Rosehall off of the Freedom of the Seas in December. It was a lot of fun. They are very safety oriented.

Would love to hear some more about your experiences at Rose Hall - how many ziplines are there and how would you rate their level of intensity? We are going with a mixed group of children and adults and want to make sure it would be appropriate for everyone. Also, I have read some reports of it being a little bit disorganized getting there and that there is not any places for a snack or drink - can you comment on that? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
I'm cruising on VOS 02/25/12. Want to zipline.

Not sure about DRF, or tubing. Zipline for sure though.

RCCL offers Chukka zipline for $99. Zipline adventures wants, per email, $89 + $21 transport. http://www.zipline-tours.com/

Apparently transport from Falmouth is extra.

Hoping to do this zip line on 3/18 Mariner sailing. How many lines are there and how far from the port?

Hoping to do this zip line on 3/18 Mariner sailing. How many lines are there and how far from the port?

we did this tour out of mo-bay last year, it was great (feb 2011). I contacted them through their online line contact form. I was called back in @ 10 minutes and verbally booked the tour for my family of 6. he gave me a better price than advertised online. They did not require upfront $ or credit card, so I liked that. It's a series of 5 zip lines and we had our 6 year old who was under the weight requirement for some other ziplines. but he could go on this one because he could be harnessed with me (or my husband, or other kids). The guides are great, the ride up to the lines in their vehicle was fun for the kids- very bumpy!!

Not sure if they changed how they do things, they had a driver meet us right outside of the terminal (or whatever it is called) and drive us to the location. All included in the price. Since longer drive from falmouth, I bet they would charge extra for that.

I would skip the tubing unless you know the river has plenty of water in it.

we did it with Zipline Adventures http://www.zipline-tours.com/

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd put in my $.02 worth.

I have done the Original Canopy Tour (chukka park Montego Bay) and I have done the tour with the bobsled at Mystic Mountain.

DH & I have done many ziplines other than Jamaica, and I will say that The Original Canopy tour operated at Chukka Park in MOBAY has been the best. They had the best staff, the best views, best equipment, facilities etc. (okay exception on the facilities as the zip line in the cloud forest in Costa Rica was better)

we loved our drive (an adventure in itself) to the park, the scenery is beautiful. We plan on returning on our next cruise to MOBay and will be doing the same zip line again.

My least favorite out of all the zip lines we have done-the zip line at Mystic Mountain. it was okay, especially if you have nothing else to compare it to.

This of course is my opinion, take it for what it's worth (about 2 cents lol)

I liked Chukka Zip line. There were about 10 lines. 2 vertical ones too.

My DW, who was a little skeptical about the whole thing, had a great time.

The total tour was about 3-4 hours. The drive was at least a half hour.

Passed some great scenery both ways.

• 1 month later...

Carnival is advertising a "Canopy Tour Adventure" with one of the lines described as : "Zip across the 1,100 ft. Inter-Parish Express at approximate 250 feet high and approximately 35 miles per hour." Has anyone done this one?

Thanks in advance!

Archived