new to diving

we are going to Roatan and Costa Maya and wondering which place is better to scuba dive we may do both. but if they are close to the same we may pick just one. if anyone has dive both places I would like hear if you think we should do both or if you thought one was better than other. we are new to diving so any info you can give would be great thanks in advance:)

I have been to both ports but have only done diving on Costa Maya. My diving was done before the hurricane hit. So not sure what it's like now but I've heard it's good. I did my diving with Blue Ocean Safari. Really like them.

I snorkeled in Roatan. I've heard it has mediocre diving but I can't verify this myself.

We dove in Roatan last May and loved it. :) We went through the Cruise ship for our excursion with Anthony's Key Resort. We had a 2 tank dive and enjoyed every minute of it. They video taped our dive and we could buy a copy at the end of the excursion. I would totally recommend diving in Roatan.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say Roatan is better, it is a world class dive area. A lot depends on where you go and a lot of factors effect the visibility. If you can I would dive both!

Costa Maya tends to be shallower dive sites along the reef, I haven't been there since the hurricane. But no matter what condition the reef is in, it is probably still better than the quarry at home!

we are going to Roatan and Costa Maya and wondering which place is better to scuba dive we may do both. but if they are close to the same we may pick just one. if anyone has dive both places I would like hear if you think we should do both or if you thought one was better than other. we are new to diving so any info you can give would be great thanks in advance:)

We have not been diving in Costa Maya but have dove twice in Roatan. We loved diving there. Saw several Moray Eels, lobster and plenty of fish. The dive operator we used was Anthony's Key Resort. I highly recommend them.

• 3 weeks later...

Our family of four dives together and for us Costa Maya wins hands down.

The dive sites in Costa Maya seemed more pristine. The visibility was absolutely incredible and there were tons of critters!

Both would be great but if I could only do one, I'd pick CM every time.

Have fun!

We dove with Anthonys Key Resort in February. They did a great job and I would recommend them. The water was a little rough while we were there, but the diving overall was great. This was our first ocean dives and we were fairly new to diving ourselves when we took the trip.

Archived