Binoculars

Daveanna

I have a 10 x 50 bushnell powerview and a 7 x 50 outdoor UV sharper image. Do you think either of these would suffice? Thanks for your advice,

There are better binos to be had than these since these are very inexpensive (less than $51 for the Bushnells and only $17 for the Sharper Image! :eek:).

Of the two, the Bushnell is a better but might be a little too strong (at 10X--they can get shaky--hard to keep the image stable--if you don't know how to handle higher power binos) than you probably can manage, especially the 50mm objectives.

If you are on a budget and can afford these Atlas Radian 8x42s I would highly recommend them. They are a lot of binocular for the money and have bright optics, are compact and, lightweight, really close focus (6.5 ft), a fairly wide field of view, Water and fog-proof, and a lifetime warranty.

Their advantage also when traveling: they are so small for full-sized optics!

The reason I know this is because I own a pair and I'm super-impressed at what you can get for so little.

If you are OK with the Bushnells for now, then by all means enjoy but the difference between them and the ones I'm suggesting are like taking the protective film off a piece of glass and really being able to see the true colors. I would not rely on the Sharper Image binos (how ironically named). ;)

• 7 months later...

You basically get what you pay for in binoculars . When I use to do a lot of big game hunting and would look through binoculars 2-3 hours a day that is where the upper end glass was worth the money. IMHO Leica , Zeiss and Swarovski in that order are the best binoculars you can buy . They hold their resale value very well also . You can find a pair on ebay(make sure they are genuine not fakes) and resale them after the cruise .

I have a pair of Leica Ultravid and they are incredible , I also have a pair of Zeiss compacts that are very nice just the field of view is less than a full size bino. Leupold makes a great binocular in the mid price range .