Train v car v motorhome for interior

Libbywithnall

We've got 10 nights prior to a RCCL cruise leaving from Seward. As yet we haven't booked our flights into Alaska so can start from anywhere. We were orginially thinking of flying into Fairbanks and then making our way South to Seward via the trains. But the train trips seem to take a LOT of time (esp between Denali & Anchorage). So then we considered hiring a car in Anchorage -drivng a round trip to Fairbanks and back and getting the train to Seward.

Looking for any advice for travelling via v car or even motorhome (we did a motorhome trip of the UK and loved it). It is just myself and DH travelling (to celebrate our 40th birthdays).

Libby

I would not recommend the train because of time in transit, as you mentioned. But also because taking the train becomes about just riding a train and then exploring your destination. The entire trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks can be a destination, however, if you have a car (and even more so if you have a motorhome, as you aren't tied to a schedule so much). I do agree with your thoughts of taking the train to Seward as the cost of a rental drop-off is so expensive, and a portion of the train trip there does not follow the road.

I haven't looked into car rentals, but perhaps you can find one that will let you drop-off in Anchorage for not much more than roundtrip Anchorage. The flip side, though, is that it is usually quite a bit more to fly to Fairbanks than to Anchorage, so if you look at increased airfare for 2 + a higher rental charge, if you have the time you're better off RT Anchorage.

Since you have 10 days, you don't even have to backtrack...Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, Glennallen (and even down to Valdez if you're interested) Palmer, Anchorage. Whether to do the loop or straight up and back will depend upon your interests and how much time you need in each area to achieve your goals.

I recommendTrip Advisor for assistance with a land trip. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html

For 2 people and only 10 days it would probably be cheaper to rent a car than an RV. You could do a scenic loop of Anchorage-Denali-Fairbanks then drive down the Richardson Hwy to Glenallen and cut across to Anchorage on the Glen Hwy if you want to see mountain scenery.

Price it out by visiting Great Alaskan Holidays and ABC Motorhome. Then price out a rental car and figure $175 a day for lodging/

Archived