Kava Bars (Did a search, not much info)

Kcarp

There is a litle kava bar type set-up at the Pahoa Sunday Farmers market behind Luquin's Mexican Restaurant. It is only on Sunday.

There also used to be a kava bar in Kalapana at the end of Hwy. 137 right next to the Kalapana Village Cafe. This is where many tours stop to let folks walk out to the new black sand beach in Kalapana. I am not sure if the kava bar is still there..I will have have to look next time I am down there.

• 1 month later...

Hi-- just got back from a Thanksgiving cruise and went to the Bayfront (Bay Front?) Kava Bar in downtown Hilo (they're listed on yelp). Had a pleasant few hours; David who served us did a brief ceremony as we were first-time kava drinkers, made us delicious wraps for lunch and hung out with us at the counter. Very low-key place: people and dogs wandered in and out and the vibe was very mellow. Dave plays the didgeridoo, BTW. Anyhow, I'm sold! brought back some powder (which actually somebody later warned me against, so I have to research it more) and hope to have some more kava evenings with firends.

Kristen

• 2 weeks later...

There are many Kava growers and sellers on the Big Island. They sell it in powder form and you mix it yourself. It will still taste awful not matter what you mix it with. But if you drink enough, you will not notice after a while.

2323936980039985236EbojNX_th.jpg

Hi-- just got back from a Thanksgiving cruise and went to the Bayfront (Bay Front?) Kava Bar in downtown Hilo (they're listed on yelp). Had a pleasant few hours; David who served us did a brief ceremony as we were first-time kava drinkers, made us delicious wraps for lunch and hung out with us at the counter. Very low-key place: people and dogs wandered in and out and the vibe was very mellow. Dave plays the didgeridoo, BTW. Anyhow, I'm sold! brought back some powder (which actually somebody later warned me against, so I have to research it more) and hope to have some more kava evenings with firends.

Kristen

Is this place walking distance from the cruise ship?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived