Ordering Filipino and Indonesian food...

pgphoto

I've read some posts about being able to request Filipino and Indonesian food. Would like to hear any experiences with this, and also what dishes you would recommended or not recommend, and why. Also, if there is any other international food we can request, other than what you can get at the Tamarind. Thanks!

On the Amsterdam in May I struck up a conversation with the Concierge in the Neptume Lounge. She asked me about my travels and I mentioned that I had been stationed at Clark AFB. From there the discussion turned to food and she asked what my favorite Filipino dish was to which I responded, lumpia. Next thing I know she's calling the chef and ordeering some for me. Yes, you can request Filipino food and I would imagine Indonesion as well.

On the Amsterdam in May I struck up a conversation with the Concierge in the Neptume Lounge. She asked me about my travels and I mentioned that I had been stationed at Clark AFB. From there the discussion turned to food and she asked what my favorite Filipino dish was to which I responded, lumpia. Next thing I know she's calling the chef and ordeering some for me. Yes, you can request Filipino food and I would imagine Indonesion as well.

What is lumpia?

basically, it is a fried egg roll.

There is fresh lumpia as well, more like a Vietnamese spring roll, with a piquant dipping sauce. Wonderful. Looking forward to exploring this option on the Statendam in a few weeks. Sounds like a great way to bring some welcome dining variety on the longer cruises.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpia

Actually, it's more like a spring roll than an egg roll. There is a difference.

Great link. Once in a South East Asian cooking class we made thin batter crepes for the lumpia, and then we also see rice paper wrappers used as well. Do you know which one is more traditional?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpia

Actually, it's more like a spring roll than an egg roll. There is a difference.

The fried and fresh varieties are very different. It is not just the filling that is different, a different wrapper is used for each. If you simply order "lumpia", you will get the fried variety. You would need to specify "fresh lumpia" if you want the spring roll type.

Archived