What is there to do in belize

mcnealz

Dw and i are going to belize on a 7-day cruise.. We were wondering what is there to do in belize?? Are the excursions fairly cheap through and not through carnival?? Or should we stay at the beaches or hang out??

We are also cruising to Belize this month and we have done a bunch of research into what to do. We have been to Belize once before for a vacation and have already done a few tours.

basically, the big ones to do in Belize are mayan ruins or cave tubing. There are 3 different mayan ruins tours i have found, and i've been reading that Lamani is the most impressive so we have booked our excursion for lamanai. We went to another ruin last year, Altun Ha. It was fantasic so this time we want to see a different one.

For cave tubing, you can also do zip line on the same property. We did the cave tubing last year and it was awesome, loved every minute of it. We didn't do the zip line, im scared of heights.

Have a great cruise Mcnealz!

If you're interested in cave tubing, check out cave-tubing.com. My husband, son and I just did this WEDNESDAY and we loved it--it was our favorite excursion. They have an ATV and cave-tubing combo tour--ATV'ing in the dense 'rain forest' is definitely for adventurous types, it was a little out of my league!

Msg. me at kfinkel1@progressive.com if you want more info.

You can do beaches at any port, but cave tubing is probably a once in a lifetime trip. The cost is up there, but booking with a private company will save you $$. I also like the company that was listed in the post above.

The cave tubing trip will take your entire port time which is ok since there is not much to do where the tenders drop you off, and you don't want to walk past the security fence at this port.

and you don't want to walk past the security fence at this port.

I know I will need to research this some more.....but for some reason this sounds ominous. I'm trying to convince my DW to do a cruise other than the southern caribbean next year and Belize is on one of the itineraries I'm considering. What do I need to know? And once I know, how much do I tell her? :)

We went with cavetubing dot bz on our Oct.17th cruise & absolutely loved it. They really knew alot about the Mayan history but what really impressed me was their knowledge of the local flora, they were routinely pointing out trees & plants & telling us what they could be used for. Also, the walk was a little longer with them, maybe 45 min, but that meant we got to go through an extra cave that nobody else seemed to be in. For $45/person including lunch after it was a great deal. They kept the group small, too. There was about 12 of us in the mini-bus but they split us up into 3 groups with our own guides. It was a great day.

Also, the comments about going outside the fence, it was fine the day we were there but I think it's because we met our guides at Terminal 1 but the tenders were docking at Terminal 2. I've heard that there can be crowds of people trying to get you to book with them & some people find that pretty intimidating. Over at Terminal 1 it was fine, I think there might've been a bit of a crowd at 2 though. The port area isn't as developed as in other places, Belize is not a rich country, but it's beautiful. Make sure you book something, it would be a shame to stay on the ship & miss out on a fun adventure!

I know I will need to research this some more.....but for some reason this sounds ominous. I'm trying to convince my DW to do a cruise other than the southern caribbean next year and Belize is on one of the itineraries I'm considering. What do I need to know? And once I know, how much do I tell her? :)

You will hear many people say many things, good and bad, usually most people only post the bad. I think I saw somewhere were there was a walking tour, so it can't be all that bad.

All the ships (there were 5) tender to Tourism Village (a bunch of shops and restraunts), you can only get to tourism village if you are a cruise ship passenger or an approved vendor. As a passenger you can come and go as you like through the security gate.

My experience was I had just returned from a great excursion so I decided to see what was outside of the gate, I was immediatly approached by someone trying to sell me some necklaces, I brushed him off and continued. There were street vendors and I attempted to look at their stuff and they were agressive (surrounding me) so I quickly moved on, all the street vendors started calling to me and waving me over, which I really did not appreciate all the attention. Finally some smelly guy came up to me and started singing to me pointing to a sign that said i owe him 1$ for his song. I had enough so I went back. Now it was late in the day and I was the only one venturing out so maybe I got extra attention.... can't be sure. I suggest you start a new thread and post your question to see what others say.

If you're interested in cave tubing, check out cave-tubing.com. My husband, son and I just did this WEDNESDAY and we loved it--it was our favorite excursion. They have an ATV and cave-tubing combo tour--ATV'ing in the dense 'rain forest' is definitely for adventurous types, it was a little out of my league!

Msg. me at kfinkel1@progressive.com if you want more info.

not really adventuorous types at all . we did this in june and the guide went slow because i didnot want to go very fast. they will pretty much cater it to you. the other group we were with went very fast and was covered head to toe in mud. but I agree it was one of the best excursuions out there and very reasonable 75$ for atv and cave tubing with hot lunch or 50$ just cave tubing

We just got back from Belize about 3 weeks ago. it was our 3rd trip to belize. if you have never seen the ruins ,i would do lamanai. the river ride to get there is great. if you can get a small group i would highly recommend it. this trip we booked a private snorkel with a gentleman on caye caulker, which is about a 45 minwater taxi ride from belize city.what a beautiful place and we had some awesome snorkeling.

Archived