Cash Account - getting refund of cash not spent

WPcruiser33

Hi All,

Quick question - we are setting up our funsaver for an upcoming cruise and are thinking about just setting up a cash account instead of giving them a credit card.

They recommend a $200 deposit per passenger for a 7 day cruise. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if you don't use the $200pp how do they refund the money at the end? Do they give you the cash back on the last day when you settle your account, or do they send you a check later?

Thanks!

Hi All,

Quick question - we are setting up our funsaver for an upcoming cruise and are thinking about just setting up a cash account instead of giving them a credit card.

They recommend a $200 deposit per passenger for a 7 day cruise. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if you don't use the $200pp how do they refund the money at the end? Do they give you the cash back on the last day when you settle your account, or do they send you a check later?

Thanks!

We used cash for our S&S account & the amount we didn't spend was refunded to us in check form before the last morning.

OR... you can go down the night before and close out your account and get cash. DH and I did that on our last cruise (before dinner so there was no line).

DH & I talked about doing that, but forgot to stop by there after dinner. LOL!

Hi All,

Thanks!

If you have a balance at the end of the cruise, they last night when they bring your bill, you will also receive a check for the balance left. This also applies if you receive on board credit with some cruise lines. Back in '04 we were on the RCCL Mariner, when Hurrican Jeanne cut our cruise short only 5 days. RC gave all who sailed a $500.00 on board credit, and since we never have a large sail and sign bill we knew this would be more than enough. Any way on the last night, when I went to door to get bill there was a check attached for $260.00, that was a pleasant surprise.

Tim

I had wondered this as well, glad you asked it!

I was also wondering if you can put some of your S&S on cash, and some on credit. We will be traveling with 3 of our children and would rather they have a short leash so to speak.

Use your credit card, but pay what you want in cash before the end of the cruise. That way your bill won't be so high!! :D

I'm not worried about having a bill, I don't want the kids to have unlimited amounts on their S&S.

If you want your kids to have charging priviledges but not an unlimited amount you can set theirs up as cash only and put whatever amt you want on their s & s cards...once they spend all their cash their card won't work unless more money is put on it.....

• 2 weeks later...
If you want your kids to have charging priviledges but not an unlimited amount you can set theirs up as cash only and put whatever amt you want on their s & s cards...once they spend all their cash their card won't work unless more money is put on it.....

Thanks, that is exactly the information I was looking for.

That is not entirely accurate. Unless things have changed since our March '10 Freedom cruise, once that S&S is in your hands you can make purchases, I think it will only allow you to make but maybe $50.00 before they will notify you to see guest services, but I would assume if you put say $100.00 for kids, they can probably charge up to $150.00 before it would be cut off.

We found this out when after boarding my DW, went and made some purchases in one of the shops, and I had not deposited on cent to the account yet, and when I asked the pursurs desk about it, they said they would allow a few minimum purchases because at the beginning of the cruise things are so hectic sometimes it takes until the second day for some to make the cash deposits for their S&S.

Happy Sailing,

Tim

Doesn't have to be cash only. I've done all S&S cards on one credit card, but put a limit on the teenager's card. $50 (plus prepaid tips and soda card). Once limit is reached, I would have to authorize increasing it. Or even better, teenager goes down and puts some cash on it himself. But it still all ended up as one charge on one credit card except the cash the teenager put on it himself.

Archived