Customs from US into Brisbine then onto Cairns

pj4jj

We are flying Qantas from LAX to Cairns with a stop in Brisbine...do we go through customs there or when we get to Cairns? How long do you think customs will take on a Sat am flight?

Thanks

We are flying Qantas from LAX to Cairns with a stop in Brisbine...do we go through customs there or when we get to Cairns? How long do you think customs will take on a Sat am flight?

Thanks

You'll clear customs and immigration in Brisbane. I'd expect that it will take less than 45 minutes to clear both in normal circumstances. As well, there will be a change of flight and terminal in Brisbane. The flight to Cairns will be from the domestic terminal. Arrangements and time for transfer will vary according to who your domestic flight is with and whether it is on the same ticket.

Thanks for the great info, it's just what I was looking for.

Both flights in and out of Brisbane are on Qantas. We arriave at 7:45am and depart for Cairns 9:55am. Is the walk long to our departing area? WE do have large bags. Do you think we are good on time to get where we need to be.

Thanks again.

Provided your flight into Brisbane isn't delayed you should make your connection in time. Qantas are a little more "flexible" on checkin deadlines than the domestic budget airlines. Immigration and Customs shouldn't take too long as there aren't that many international arrivals compared to, say, Sydney or Melbourne.

Thanks for the great info, it's just what I was looking for.

Both flights in and out of Brisbane are on Qantas. We arriave at 7:45am and depart for Cairns 9:55am. Is the walk long to our departing area? WE do have large bags. Do you think we are good on time to get where we need to be.

Thanks again.

You do not need to carry your bags. These are rechecked after you get them back from customs.Re-checking for domestric flights is in the International arrivals hall. You then make your way to the Domestic terminal. 130 minutes between flights is adequate planning and, in any case, if your flights are on the same booking Qantas would protect you on to a later flight, not that there are many, should you be delayed.

Note that the transfer is no longer by Airtrain. This ceased to be the Qantas method of transfer 12 months ago. It is now by bus. Following is the quote from the Qantas website.

Brisbane Domestic and International Terminals are located 2km apart with easy access between the two by either TBus or Taxi.

TBus services operate between the terminals every 20 minutes, or every 10 minutes during peak times during the day, and are complimentary for passengers holding a Qantas Boarding Pass or itinerary receipt for their connecting flight. Signs are located throughout the terminal to guide you to the TBus service, located outside the terminal building. A taxi between terminals will cost approximately A$9 one way.

It is a less than convenient arrangement and, indeed Airtrain isn't that great either because of the infrequent timetable. I often just suck it up and take a taxi to avoid the hastle, particularly if I am worried about time.

Note that the transfer is no longer by Airtrain. This ceased to be the Qantas method of transfer 12 months ago. It is now by bus. Following is the quote from the Qantas website.

thanks for that, time flies when you're having fun and things happen too! To be honest I would normally stop for the day in Bribane coming in country, so the train is my natural way to get out of the airport.

Hi there OP, we are based in brissy and just flew in yesterday (from NZ) on jetstar (the el cheapo owned subsidiary of Qantas) Traffic was a nightmare as they resealing and completing roadworks.

They talked about the air train being recommended by them (jetstar) but they will announce all of that as you are landing in Brisvegas. (they did on our flight but we didn't listen as we were coming home and not flying onwards :o!!!!) I do remember them saying that those who were flying out international their bags would be transferred for them, but domestic (what you guys are doing) needed to be collected, through customs etc and then onto the domestic airport with your luggage then checked back in again at domestic. Having said that, our flight was code shared with Qantas and someone else, so domestically you may find yourself on jetstar in lieu of Qantas.

Hubs walked back to domstic area to collect our car, and it was a 20 minute round trip, he was hot as hades in the middle of the day, and that was with the luggage! Don't be walking with suitcases! :)

Archived