Personal Flotation Device recomendations

Runitsajellyfish

:confused: I need some advice from some experienced snorkelers or instructors. I am a "non-swimmer", but as long as I have on a Personal Flotation Device, I'm like a fish (maybe a puffer fish) in the water. Last year we went on 3 different snorkeling excursions and we took our own gear, minus PFD's. Some of the excursion companies PFD's didn't give me enough flotation (I have concrete in my blood), and others "leaked" out the air-valve during my entire swim, making me VERY nervous. I don't want to lug around a foam PFD, so what recomendations does everyone have for a top quality inflatable that will make this next adventure a better one?

Thanks for the input guys. I've been to several online dive shops, and there is a lot of different brands/designs of inflatable PFD's, as well as range of cost. Does anyone have a particular brand/design preference that would best suit my application (i.e., concrete in blood, nicknamed "sinker", etc.)?

I looked at the vest my wife uses, but there's no indication of who manufactured it; no model number, no style name at all. I'm sure a good dive shop near you can help you out though... And for what it's worth, here's another observation: my wife's enjoyment of snorkeling was greatly advanced when we bought her a good mask. A quality mask that doesn't leak eliminates the time wasted on the clearing of water from inside the mask and helps you see more of the amazing marine life. Look for a mask with a "purge valve" and with a silicon skirt.

Before our last trip, we bought (2) $100 retail snorkel set off of eBay for $40-50 each. They are made by U.S. Divers, and come with high visibilty masks, split fins, totally dry snokel, and a nice shoulder carry case.. My mask leaked a little on just one of our excursions, but I've had a lot of people recommend Vaseline for that, as well as baby shampoo as a defogger. Our masks don't have purge valves, but overall worked well. My wife loved the entire set, especially the split fins, she said they worked great for her. I feel like I wore my legs out trying (exactly what these fins are supposed to prevent) to go from the catamaran to the shore (100'). When we were in Jamaica several years ago, I used some el-cheapo full-foot fins on a dolphin excursion, and I could really zip through the water with those. I've heard awesome reviews about the Apollo Bio Split fins, but they are VERY pricey.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree 100% wih my soon-to-be-shipmate gonedownlately.

When we first met, my wife was not a swimmer at all. Even a thin exposure suit adds a bunch of boyancy. And a new mask of her own, that actually fit her face, made all the difference in the world. IMHO, everybody should have their own mask and snorkel, if nothing else.

Now she's a great swimmer and fearless in the water (at the surface).

I have to agree with the snorkel vest for you. Even though you sink, they should have enough flotation in the chest area to keep you comfy. Most dive shops/sport shops carry them. Dacor is a good brand - but I can't tell you what the cost might be.

To ease the effort on your knees and calves, go for a full-foot fin that is relatively short and very soft. It can be quite difficult to maintain a comfortable foot and ankle position while using fins on the surface. Shorter and softer fins are more forgiving.

To the poster that suggested vaseline on the mask skirt - the vaseline will degrade the silicone skirt over time, and make a disgusting mess besides. If you absolutely must use a sealant, use a small dab of silicone grease. It will make a mess as well, but won't degrade the mask.

Have a great time!

Wendy

next up

Splendour of the Seas 4/23/05

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. After reading comments here and on other threads, I just ordered a pair of Apollo Full-Foot UNI Split Fins. They have some awesome ratings. I also bought a good quality generic snorkel vest from Leisurepro.com The vest and fins came to $117.25 shipped. Considering the prices I've seen elsewhere for the same gear...that was cheap. Thanks again for all the advice.:)

Gonedownlately,

Make sure you're on deck when we pull out. Even if you need a disco-nap to make it to midnight (travel day and all). Have a nice drink in hand. THAT'S what gets MY bloody flowing. Great departing music on Windstar!

I also like spending time in the wheelhouse with the pilot. But then again, I'm a technogeek and the wheelhouse is a techno-rich environment.

Archived