Dining Question

PurpleLaurie55

As our first NCL cruise is approaching (yay!), I have a question about dining. Will our key card be scanned when we go to the MDR or other dining locations? Or will we have to give our cabin number when we enter the MDR? Can a room eat more than once in a meal period?

Sorry for the questions... just curious how it works :) We are traveling with a little one and wondering if it will be a problem for one of us to eat in the MDR at, say, 9am and then the other one of us to go at 9:45am.

Thanks for any help!

The only time they will take down your room info is if you order an alcoholic beverage, soda, juice, espresso, etc. So there is nothing stopping you from having dinner in one MDR then hopping right over to the other one or going to a pay-extra, or any other dining on board. The only limitation is what your stomach can handle.

The only downside in your particular situation is that unless there you find a group or someone willing to dine with you or your partner, the meal may be a bite lonely (a lot more tables for 2 and 4 on NCL compared to the other lines, since most families dine alone)

I think I should clarify one thing though based on your specific situation. The way freestyle dining is set it, the big tables with multiple families are not the norm at all (very few large tables in the dining rooms). Therefore only a single person showing up would be the equivalent of showing up to a land restaurant alone. Unless you find someone to dine with, heading to the MDR alone would most likely result in being seated at a table for two. That is unless I am unaware of a large table for single diners (which would make sense to have) but even that would be conditional on other single diners still being around at 9pm or 9:45pm.

Not only could you go to multiple restaurants if you wished, you can also order more than one of anything on the menu! One night, on our recent Sun Cruise, we did two appetizers in one dining room, and two desserts in another. We did tell them as we were being seated what we planned on doing, just to maybe help with them not being confused. We also ordered two entrees one night, I think.

The last time we were on the Gem, they did scan one of our cards when we entered the MDR.. not sure why. I don't think that would create a problem if you wanted to go at separate times.

Could they be scanning the cards so they know where you are dinning and how much food you consumed?....lol Unless could it be so they know how to distribute the daily service charge to the right waiter/waitress?

They do either scan your card or ask for your cabin number...but it isn't to limit the amount of food you eat or numbers of times you enter the dining room as much as it is simply an inventory control. Individuals in a cabin can go to different dining rooms, or the same dining room at different times, or go to dinner and come back later for dessert, or go to breakfast and come back later for coffee, or go to one dining room for dinner and the other for dessert, or go to the dining room for dinner and then to the buffet or some other dining venue, or.... whatever combination works for you, whenever.

As our first NCL cruise is approaching (yay!), I have a question about dining. Will our key card be scanned when we go to the MDR or other dining locations? Or will we have to give our cabin number when we enter the MDR? Can a room eat more than once in a meal period?

Sorry for the questions... just curious how it works :) We are traveling with a little one and wondering if it will be a problem for one of us to eat in the MDR at, say, 9am and then the other one of us to go at 9:45am.

Thanks for any help!

They allow babies in all the restaurants, I believe.

They do either scan your card or ask for your cabin number...but it isn't to limit the amount of food you eat or numbers of times you enter the dining room as much as it is simply an inventory control.... .

We were on the Sun for 33 days recently and we were never asked for our cabin number, nor was our key card ever scanned in the MDR unless we ordered wine or a drink. It was scanned in specialy restaurants simply to charge the dinner to our cabin.

If they want inventory control by the number of diners, all they need is a counter device.

Mary Kay in NM

This is one of the aspects of Freestyle dining that I love. I have often had a meal in the MDR and haven't had room for dessert. So, I just go back a couple hours later and have it then with a nice leisurely cup of coffee. Or, I've had a nice meal in a specialty restaurant but something in particular on the MDR menu attracts my attention, so I go there a few hours later and have that item.

I have often had my key card scanned by the hostess after entering the MDR. I don't know for sure what it's for, but I just figured that they use it to track the assigned seating. Plus, it might give them head counts for displaying the capacities on the dining room monitors.

Thanks for any help!

How little is your 'little one'? Are you aware that NCL's Kid's Crew program starts at 2 years old? :)

Archived