Discover Scuba for a fraidy-cat

momK

My dh is an avid diver, and my 15yo is also a certified diver. We're going to the western carib. in December, and they want me to try a discover scuba class, which they will take with me. We'll hit Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Cozumel. Which would be better: a ship class (Crown Princess), or a privately arranged class? I usually drive myself to try new and adventurous things, but this still scares me. I have a history of panic attacks, and am being successfully treated for high BP. Any suggestions?

My dh is an avid diver, and my 15yo is also a certified diver. We're going to the western carib. in December, and they want me to try a discover scuba class, which they will take with me. We'll hit Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Cozumel. Which would be better: a ship class (Crown Princess), or a privately arranged class? I usually drive myself to try new and adventurous things, but this still scares me. I have a history of panic attacks, and am being successfully treated for high BP. Any suggestions?

Contact Sunset House on Grand Cayman by e-mail.

I've been diving for 35 years, and my dd (18) wanted to do a discovery dive this past May. Actually she wanted certification but I insisted on a discovery first. I've dove with SSH for over 20 years.

I was in the pool every minute with her for her Discovery (with another 18 yoa female friend) and then accompanied them on their first open water dive via Sunset's 'ocean pool'. They had a great time

Your two certified divers could easily 'burn another tank' on Sunset's reef . . . I've got probably 40 hours of bottom time there. I like it fine.

Grand Cayman is the first stop and a wonderful place to learn about diving. I once stayed at the House and have done shore dives there on other visits. We are going there next week on a cruise--looking forward to it!!

Sunset House has a pool and a very nice dive right out front--go for it! It is about a half mile to the right coming off the tender pier. An easy walk for most.

If you do it on the first stop, then you could repeat on some other stops--a BIG plus to moi.

My advice is to only try scuba if it is something YOU want to do.There are some inherent risk in this sport and I feel it is a sport you must want to learn.I have let my wife try diving in a pool---she did not like it so while I would love to have a dive buddy there is no way I am going to force this on her---seen too many probelms with this.

You will need to have your Doctor's approval to dive with high blood pressure and history of panic attacks.Check these off on a resort's questionaire without a Doctor's note and you will not be diving(may not be diving with it). I too am treated by medication for hypertension and type 2 diabetes---my Doctor is a diver and sees no reason that I can't participate in a sport I love.

I would think Sunset House at Cayman would be an excellent shore dive for Discover Scuba.Clear water, shallow depths, close to shore.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and have a great time whatever you decide to do.

You could try snuba instead (it is a cross between snorkeling and scuba diving). You breathe through a regulator, but the tank floats above you on a raft, so you don't have the bulky equipment to worry about. You can go down about 20 ft. but if you end up feeling panicky, you could always stay at the surface and just treat it as a snorkeling experience.

Sunset House does have an excellent staff and reputation. On your High Blood Pressure. The shop will not take you diving unless you complete a short medical history. If you are being treated for high blood pressure, then you will have to answer yes to that question and they wont be allowed to take you diving without a Dr's approval. This form can be obtained by the dive shop you select. Pretty much any shop can fax or email you a copy of this form so you can have ity in hand when you get there.

Check with your Dr about the BP, mine says if the drugs have managed it, answer no to the pb question. .... if they (DR) say it is OK to dive then dive.

Panic attack is a different issue and I'd say maybe you should just bow out on this one . . . are you VERY comfortable snorkeling? If so I'd expect you'll find SCUBA to be a relief. But if you find every drip of water in the mask, or in the snorkel a crisis, you are NOT a great candidate for a SCUBA discovery no matter how good the provider

Check with your Dr about the BP, mine says if the drugs have managed it, answer no to the pb question. .... if they (DR) say it is OK to dive then dive.

Panic attack is a different issue and I'd say maybe you should just bow out on this one . . . are you VERY comfortable snorkeling? If so I'd expect you'll find SCUBA to be a relief. But if you find every drip of water in the mask, or in the snorkel a crisis, you are NOT a great candidate for a SCUBA discovery no matter how good the provider

I agree with you, Capt. BJ ----but be forewarned---when I gave the same advice about checking "NO" to high blood pressure (per my Doctor's instructions---he is also a diver) a few months ago on this forum, I was really "blasted" by the so called experts on this board.They told me that I was a menace to the sport and a danger to my assigned buddy.Of course my buddy is most always "me" and he is perfectly fine divng with this menace---I trust him more than anyone !

As per panic attacks, I too feel this could lead to some very serious probelms and should be thourougly discussed with one's doctor.AGE's are a very serious issue if you panic and rush to the surface.

I remember the thread and discussed it with my Dr

is his "note to the teacher" more meaningful???? No I don't think so.

If I haven't been to a Dr in 20 years and have undiagnosed issues is the dive any different?

The 'releases' you are asked/required to sign are generally un-enforcable anyway but simply serve as a first line deterent to potential lawsuits for any potentially hazardous situation.

I've ignored slams b4 .... standing by

Have your dh and son check with their local dive shop. Mine offers free "try scuba" sessions in the local school pool once a month. This will allow you to try the gear in friendly local surrounds instead of the pressure of "succeeding" while on an island for only one day. Even if the shop doesn't offer a free tryout, it would probably be worth paying for a 1/2 hour session with a certified dive instructor sometime when they're doing a confined class. Know before you go. If you do well in the local pool, you should do fine while on vacation. BTW, never be afraid to say, that's it, I'm uncomfortable. There's no shame in stopping something you feel uncomfortable with. Good luck and hopefully I'll see you some day on a great scuba excursion.

Randall

You could try snuba instead (it is a cross between snorkeling and scuba diving). You breathe through a regulator, but the tank floats above you on a raft, so you don't have the bulky equipment to worry about. You can go down about 20 ft. but if you end up feeling panicky, you could always stay at the surface and just treat it as a snorkeling experience.

This was what my DH and I did...we loved it and it actually made us want to become certified divers. I would REALLY recommend this to get you used to the panicky feeling you will have as a first timer. I don't have panic attacks, but before every dive I get a little nervous (which I understand is normal...if you have no fear at all you may become complacent and not pay as much attention). I have always been a strong swimmer and love the water but had a really hard time going under for the first time...just too weird to think I could breath under water. It took me a few minutes to get used to the regulator. The SNUBA instructor, Brooke, was awesome and calmed me right down. She told me to take a slow, deep breath in for 6 seconds and exhale slowly for 6 seconds. That did the trick and then I was good to go. I always think of that before I drop down. Oh, and using that technique seems to save me a lot of air...I usually have a lot more air left than my counterparts.

Thanks to all of you. I couldn't find any snuba tours on our cruise route, so I've decided to just have a blast snorkeling and let the boys have fun diving; at least will be able to combine so that we'll be on the same boat. Maybe scuba is in my future, but for now, I want a relaxing vacation, not a stress-inducing one. :)

• 1 month later...
Thanks to all of you. I couldn't find any snuba tours on our cruise route, so I've decided to just have a blast snorkeling and let the boys have fun diving; at least will be able to combine so that we'll be on the same boat. Maybe scuba is in my future, but for now, I want a relaxing vacation, not a stress-inducing one. :)

If you are still considering Scuba and are nervous...you can check out this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1031164&highlight=wannabe+scuba+divers it has a wealth of really useful information in it. My wife struggled with panic attacks as well and with some extra work overcame it and now she loves being under the water exploring as much as I do if not more :D. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone on this for the recommendation. I'm glad I came across it before our cruise. I booked the discover scuba through Sunset House for our excursion while on the Crown Princess and we had an awesome time. Roger was our instructor and I highly recommend him. There was me, my DW and a couple staying at the house. The other lady was having a difficult time and he spent as much time with her as she needed while letting us explore the area, while never letting us out of his sight. He only let us go around after he was sure we were comfortable with being underwater in the pool. I highly recommend this place. If you do it and like it, take your paperwork with you to Roatan if you are cruising there and go to Atlantic Sea Divers and they will take you out on a dive for $50. They took us snorkeling and were great to deal with. They prefer to only deal with small groups so that makes it even better.

Archived