Questions about kids and Princess cruise

Summertime

My girls and I are going on our first cruise at the end of March 2005 on the Princess Diamond. My travel agent told me after I booked that there will be over 800 children on the cruise! Yikes! Has anyone travelled on a ship with that many kids and did it work out okay? I'm fine with lots of kids around the ship but am worried that the kids activity area will be over-flowing and possibly under-staffed. My girls are 6 and 8. I'm also wondering if I should try at all to do any formal dining with my girls? They get so fidgety and I'm worried they would annoy or distract other passengers. This is the first vacation I have taken since my husband died of cancer last year and I'm worried about handling them all on my own. I figured we would eat alot at the buffet or in our suite but it would be a shame if I never ate at any of the other dining rooms. Can you ask to be seating with other families who have young children?

Many thanks for your help,

Summer

If you have personal choice dining you can request a table with just you and your girls if you want.

The kids program is very well run. Your girls will be in different rooms because the age limit is 3-7 and 8-12. Some kids never go to the program so the chance that all 800 will be there at once is slim. Also, how many of those are teenagers?

Formal nights are fun but if you don't want to dress up and go maybe make a date with the girls to go swimming and get a hamburger, hot dog or pizza right there by the pools. The kids program always has a kids meal in the buffet on formal nights where they take the kids that are in there at that time.

Sorry to hear about your husband. I can understand that thinking about dealing with the kids alone might have you a bit up tight.

Share your concerns with them and let them help you decide if they want to try the "adventures" of eating in the dining room. Work out options with them for dealing with any "boring time". I think that they will rise to the occassion if you let them know that you value their input.

With 800 kids on board, there are likely to be quite a few of them in the DR with you at any one time, so I think many folks will be very patient and understanding with yours. Take time after dining to praise them for the things they did right and for being patient. Also discuss things that you or they may have observed others doing that was not very polite or how someone reacted when something went wrong - discuss what they would have done had it happened to them. For example: "that little boy picked up his meat and was eating it with his hands. I can understand that he was frustrated but if I were him, I'd have asked mom or the waiter to help me cut it."

Good luck, and have a lot of fun!

Thank you Onessa for your kind and insightful ideas about talking positively to my girls. I will have to remember to praise them when they are doing well when we dine together - I'm still hoping that I can gather the courage to eat with them once in awhile in the dining rooms. I'm thinking we might do a few fun practise sessions at the dinner table at home before we go.

Summer

Sorry to hear about your husband. We had over 1000 on the Mariner of the Seas last April without any problems..but...it all depends on the captain and the crew setting guidelines. I hear the kids programs are wonderful on the grand class of Princess. I peeked in on the room for the under 12 group on the Golden Princess (sister ship to the Diamond) and it seemed really nice.

Last week on our cruise I met two little girls-- one was 6 and the other was 8. I was so impressed with them in the dining room. Although you say your daughters are figitity they will probably do ok there. So muchis going on around them. Go the first formal night and see how they do. Dont forget to get an awesome family portrait done

Hi!

Please accept my condolences on your loss. I understand you are anxious about your first vacation without your husband.

With that many families aboard, I bet you'll be seated with another family or two, possibly with children of the same age. I think that would be wonderful for both you and your girls.

I agree with the other poster who reminded us to take the time to catch our kids doing well and remember to offer praise.

We are taking my 11 year old son and 8 year old daughter on their first cruise in March and both are very excited! I explained about dinner being a bit longer than they're used to and that we will dress up for some meals. Wasn't I the proudest Mom when my son decided he wanted to wear a suit. Honest, I didn't pressure him! As a matter of fact, in the days since we've brought it home, he's tried it on more than once to show people! And of course, the swirly dresses for my daughter are a big hit!

I hope this is a wonderful trip for you and your family. Enjoy!

Karen

We took our first cruise last December with our daughters (ages 5 & 6). We ate in the dining room every night but one. There is so much going on and so many other kids in the dining room that it won't be a problem. Our kids are pretty well behaved but they still get fidgety but so did the hundred's of other kids I saw. And we really enjoyed the experience with the kids, eating different meals each night and letting them pick what they wanted. Also, the servers are good with kids and the kids really enjoyed the interaction with them. I would not worry about what everyone else is thinking and enjoy your time with your kids, they grow up so fast.

Archived