How long will it take to fix Splendor?

Johnsmomma

This thread is so that others can speculate on how long they think it will take to fix the splendor and why. I have heard various predictions but they have been mixed in with other comments on the splendor so let's devote this thread to just how long it will take to fix the ship (and why).

Here is the information we have:

• Fire in the engine room for at least 3 hours
  • Gerry Cahill, chief executive of Carnival Cruise lines, said a crankcase in a generator room split, causing the blaze

Ok- I have read the thousands of posts in the stickies and this has been brought up I just figured since it was a specific question and there are a lot on here with engineering experience they may be more likely to respond to this thread instead of going though the stickies.

So far I have heard anything from 2 weeks to 4months in the stickies.

2 Engines + Generators

Switchboards

Electrical wires

we are looking at 2 months job at least....... (if equipment is in stock)

Most of this equipment has to be shipped from Italy, and thats if they use the original equipment, if they use our U.S. product that we have here on hand, then I am guessing 30 days max.

Fred

It took less then 2 months to repair the Crown Princess. I think the Splendor repairs will be measured in days, maybe weeks.

The Crown Princess was totally torched on the one side, they had to build and replace tons of cabins. I am guessing thats why it took longer.

The Splendors damages are limited to one or two engine spaces. Chances are they had a Halon Fire System to isolated the fire and extinguished it immediately.

Fred

I suppose no one can no for sure- I'm scheduled to go on 11/21- I wish they would give us a "guestimate". Someone said on another thread you can't pick these engine parts up at an auto parts store. I assume the health inspections and coast guard inspections will cause a hold up as well.

It took less then 2 months to repair the Crown Princess. I think the Splendor repairs will be measured in days, maybe weeks.

Crown Princess was an'easy job compared to this, here they have to cut the hull to replace the engines.

Let's not be too hasty and get ahead of the repair crews...they are working now to restore main power from the FORWARD engine room which contains three of the six main WARTSILA diesel generator sets (made in Finland and installed in ITALY after the hull was laid)...it was the AFT engine room with the other three identical generator sets that had the fire which they say started at set #5 which had an internal defect that caused the crankshaft to fail and crack the crankcase (very similar to an automobile with a cracked engine block from internal failure) and spread fire into the electrical wiring all the way into the main switchboard. Now these WARTSILA diesels (most popular large marine diesels at sea) can be rebuilt or replaced in the engine room...that's why engine rooms have large overhead crains to move these things around and parts are available from the manufacturer can be flown into San Diego from FINLAND...same with whatever switchboard parts may need to be replaced...depending on how severe the damage is, my opinion as a retired professional engineer is that the repairs could easily take anywhere from just the week that Carnival has designated so far to perhaps two weeks if damage is more severe...(I'm sure they are working around the clock) they do not need to finish the engine rebuild to sail safely as the ship should be able to easily maintain it's schedule on four of the six sets leaving one spare while one is rebuilt which is very common with ships at sea. The reason that the smoke is no longer coming from the south side of the stack (think whale tail) is that the ship is now plugged into shore power at the pier, and we saw more lights turned on last night aboard the ship which indicates to me that they a making progress in getting power restored. I would be remiss if I did not add my kudos to the US Coast Guard & US Navy for their assistance in getting the Splendor back to San Diego safely, GOD BLESS THEM!!!

HAL San Diego

The Crown Princess was totally torched on the one side, they had to build and replace tons of cabins. I am guessing thats why it took longer.

The Splendors damages are limited to one or two engine spaces. Chances are they had a Halon Fire System to isolated the fire and extinguished it immediately.

Fred

Crown Princess was an'easy job compared to this, here they have to cut the hull to replace the engines.

You guys all mean the STAR PRINCESS fire, right? The one back in 2006?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Princess

Yeah, it took about 7 weeks to repair the Star Princess. That was a much more extensive fire that filled many port cabins and public areas with smoke. (Fire damage, heat damage, smoke damage, smoke smells).

The Splendor fire was contained to the engine, which I would imagine would be an easier swap out once they get the pieces in order for replacement.

I would guess the Splendor will be back up and running for its first cruise in December.

This thread is so that others can speculate on how long they think it will take to fix the splendor and why. I have heard various predictions but they have been mixed in with other comments on the splendor so let's devote this thread to just how long it will take to fix the ship (and why).

Here is the information we have:

• Fire in the engine room for at least 3 hours
  • Gerry Cahill, chief executive of Carnival Cruise lines, said a crankcase in a generator room split, causing the blaze

That's not quite correct. Gerry Cahill DID say that a crankcase has a crack but he did NOT point to it as the cause of the fire.

Here's a link to the press conference should you like to check it...

A precise cause has yet to be announced.

:)

Fred

It was a CO2 system, Fred... the effect is the same...

Hal, thanks so very much for your intelligent and informative feedback. May I ask how you came by this info?

Let's not be too hasty and get ahead of the repair crews...they are working now to restore main power from the FORWARD engine room which contains three of the six main WARTSILA diesel generator sets (made in Finland and installed in ITALY after the hull was laid)...it was the AFT engine room with the other three identical generator sets that had the fire which they say started at set #5 which had an internal defect that caused the crankshaft to fail and crack the crankcase (very similar to an automobile with a cracked engine block from internal failure) and spread fire into the electrical wiring all the way into the main switchboard. Now these WARTSILA diesels (most popular large marine diesels at sea) can be rebuilt or replaced in the engine room...that's why engine rooms have large overhead crains to move these things around and parts are available from the manufacturer can be flown into San Diego from FINLAND...same with whatever switchboard parts may need to be replaced...depending on how severe the damage is, my opinion as a retired professional engineer is that the repairs could easily take anywhere from just the week that Carnival has designated so far to perhaps two weeks if damage is more severe...(I'm sure they are working around the clock) they do not need to finish the engine rebuild to sail safely as the ship should be able to easily maintain it's schedule on four of the six sets leaving one spare while one is rebuilt which is very common with ships at sea. The reason that the smoke is no longer coming from the south side of the stack (think whale tail) is that the ship is now plugged into shore power at the pier, and we saw more lights turned on last night aboard the ship which indicates to me that they a making progress in getting power restored. I would be remiss if I did not add my kudos to the US Coast Guard & US Navy for their assistance in getting the Splendor back to San Diego safely, GOD BLESS THEM!!!

HAL San Diego

My thought was If the burnt wires,panels,switch gear, are replaced why can't the Splendor sail with five engine/gen. sets. Also people on RCI boards were saying the Splendor did not have Apazoids [sp] but prop shafts? is that true ?

My thought was If the burnt wires are replaced why can't the Splendor sail with five engine/gen. sets. Also people on RCI boards were saying the Splendor did not have Apazoids [sp] but prop shafts? is that true ?

Yep... that's the case... prop shafts and propellers, no pods.

Although Carnival has several ships with pod drives the went away from them fairly quickly. Several lines have had significant issues with the pods.

Regarding sailing with reduced capacity, yeah, they could do that but I'm sure the experience with the Destiny left a bit of a sour taste in their collective mouths.

crankcase expolsion in # 5 Dg wich will have totalted the entablature. this part wll not be available in the US and will need to be shipped across from the one of wartsila factories either in trieste or Turku. in any case this will be a dry dock job as the new engine will need to be skidded in through a hole in the side of the machinery space. and then be rebuilt in situ. As you can imagine this won't be a 5 minute job as all the commissioning and testing of the plant will need to be done to the flag state and classification societies inspectors' satisfaction. Dawn pribcess had a similar situation in I think 2006 she was out of service for a least a month and a 1/2.

My thought was If the burnt wires,panels,switch gear, are replaced why can't the Splendor sail with five engine/gen. sets. Also people on RCI boards were saying the Splendor did not have Apazoids [sp] but prop shafts? is that true ?

No azipods.. Those are a scandahovien invention and unlikely you'll see them on ships not built in Finland or other scandahovien type country.

as someone who did/does alot of electrical work.

The wiring harness is not like a car, not sure of the gauge of the wire but most of it could be bought at Home Depot/Lowes.

Thats the good news, the bad news.

With a electrical fire all wiring will needed to be tested heat plays nasty tricks on wiring , the electrical "gremlins" will be a issue (hopefully small) for the next few cruises

Archived