Red Sea in January

Thinking now about doing a cruise and stay on the Red Sea in January 2012. Can anyone who's been at this time of the year, let me know what the weather is like? It doesn't look too promising on the weather websites. I've been to Egypt in Aug when it was scorching, I know it won't be anything like that but I'm hoping it will still be warm enough to sunbathe when we're back at the hotel.

Thanks, Rosie.

Went at the beginning of February. It was very hot in Luxor, comfortable in Cairo and Petra. We did a cruise and stay and came back nicely toasted. When we weren't on excursions, we sunbathed on deck. You may need a light jacket if you go to Petra as it can be chilly in the mountains. The week before we went, the Petra trip was cancelled because of snow. We went in shorts and teeshirts and didn't need a jacket. The week after us was again cancelled due to fog. Egypt is a lovely wintersun destination. Go and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the red sea cruise this year (31st Dec - 7th Jan) and had lovely weather all week with temperatures reaching up to 30 degrees during the day. The days at sea were also very warm and sunny. We all come back with a lovely tan. Evenings were cooler with jumper or jacket needed

On a previous trip to sharm in Jan 2008 the weather was much cooler (around 20 degrees) and with a constant breeze most of the day at times it actually felt quiet cold. On this trip it was too cold to sunbath for very long (most days probally no more than 2 hours).

Archived