Mariner questions....

We have only cruised DCL previously and have decided to try the Marnier since my DD-almost 13- is getting older. One of the things I have always enjoyed is High Tea- does Mariner offer this afternoon treat? Is the putt-putt golf course and rock climbing wall open all the time? We have an aft JS on deck 7- I have not read good reviews of this floor- am I going to be disappointed since we are paying more for this cruise than we have ever paid on DCL? I really am exicted to try RCCL but have these nagging fears of trying something new...

Was on MOS last week. No high tea mentioned in any of the daily compasses. I think this is a "Mary Poppins" hold over for Disney. As for the mini golf - it is par 4 and 5 not like putt-putt at par 2.. the equipment is out to be used all the time. Rock climbing is only open at certain times. A waiver must be signed for all minors. Shorts, shirt and socks are required. They have shoes for you to use.

As for the 7th floor - I can't tell you a thing. We were on the 8th deck and loved our location. We had friends who had an aft balcony on deck 8 and loved it as well. Feel free to e-mail me if you have other questions.

Cruise addict in the making -scratch that... Officially a Cruise Addict

MOS June 6, 2004

Mariner is a beautiful ship and you will love her! There are differences from DCL of course, but variety is the spice of life!

There are times when the rock wall is not open -the daily Cruise Compass lists times available. Mini-golf is more of a challenge than anything else...since it is 'exposed' more, you'll definitely feel the gusts of wind as you attempt to play!

There's plenty of other activities as well. There's the in-line skating track, the ice skating rink, and basketball court to name a few things! Then there are programs especially tailored for younger ones, teens, etc. The teens even have their own dance floor!

I took my 13-yr old daughter on Voyager(Mariner's sister ship) last year and she loved it. Since she's very shy she didn't take advantage of the programs the ship offers, but she still had a great time.

You'll enjoy yourself immensely! We just came back from a 5/30 cruise on Mariner, and are making next year's cruise plans now!

Cindy

Sovereign of the Seas-June 2002

Voyager of the Seas-April 2003-Read My Review Here http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=6323075917

Mariner of the Seas-May 30, 2004!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;05;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Til we cruise on Mariner--woo hoo!

Oh, I was on Deck 7, although it was a Promenade room amidship. Great view of the parade, but a devil of a walk to the elevator each time!

Cindy

Voyager of the Seas-April 2003

Mariner of the Seas-May 2004

Radiance Class ship - summer 2005?

Ultra-Voyager Class ship - summer 2006?

M&M1 - We were also on MOS 6/6. Which aft room did your friends have? We booked #8690 for next year, but thinking of switching to #8692 for the double slider since #8690 only had a single door with small window. I've read so much about aft rooms on this board that I wanted to try one.

I was on the Mariner with Cindy and I was on Deck 7 also. We had a balcony cabin on the "hump" port-side, right next to the elevators. we loved our cabin and the location. It was centrally located to everything. We just took the stairs and it was easy. You'll love the Mariner. We are planning on sailing her again next summer.

icon_smile.gifShelia icon_smile.gif

Mariner of the Seas-May, 2004

Carnival Destiny-June, 2002

Thanks M&M! I wish I were back on the ship now! This was the first vacation in a long time that I wasn't at all ready to come home! Ususally I'm ready to sleep in my own bed and get back to normalcy but I would have gladly turned around and walked back on the ship as we were leaving! I'm sooooooo addicted!!!!!

khank - I was the same way and usually I too am the one who is ready to get home - love travelling but ready to come back to my own bed. Not this time! I was ready to stay longer and can be ready to go back in an hour if I can get the dogs looked after that quickly. My whole family would have loved to have stayed longer. It's funny though - two of the four families we were with were ready to get back. Everyone has a different experience and expectations. I thought it was divine!

Cruise addict in the making -scratch that... Officially a Cruise Addict

MOS June 6, 2004

CRUZ-AHOLIC - How's the review coming along? I'm anticipating your reveiw almost as much as the cruise itself icon_smile.gif . Please pepper it with comparisions to our Voyager cruise.

Sea Ya when I Sea Ya!!!

"We can change the world in our minds, but only our actions will make the difference!"

"Best friends are like broken elevators...They'll never let you down!"

Mariner 0f the Seas Again 4/05

Mariner of the Seas 7/04

Enchantment of the Seas 09/03

Voyager of the Seas 04/03

Carnival Fantasy 09/01

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=07>

<param name="day" value=18>

<param name="hour" value=17>

<param name="minute" value=00>

</applet>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;7;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Honeymooning on the Mariner!

Slowly but surely formulating in my mind brianandtanya! I'm going to make every effort to post it this weekend AND post my pics as well! I will use Voyager as my comparison guide...the 2 are so similar. You'll walk on the ship feeling "right at home". And I got to talk to the Cruise Director several times, and she is best friends with Richard Spacey, Voyager's CD! Both of these people are energetic and fun!

CRUZ-AHOLIC - If my memory serves me correct; Becky was Richard's ACD on our cruise, right?

Sea Ya when I Sea Ya!!!

"We can change the world in our minds, but only our actions will make the difference!"

"Best friends are like broken elevators...They'll never let you down!"

Mariner 0f the Seas Again 4/05

Mariner of the Seas 7/04

Enchantment of the Seas 09/03

Voyager of the Seas 04/03

Carnival Fantasy 09/01

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=07>

<param name="day" value=18>

<param name="hour" value=17>

<param name="minute" value=00>

</applet>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;7;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Honeymooning on the Mariner!

Callahanjulie10...

For future reference, if you are looking for a cruise with a high tea, you could try Princess. When we were on the Golden Princes over New Year's, they had tea every afternoon.

Enjoy whichever ship/cruise you decide on.

Janet

Monarch 11/01

Rhapsody 8/03

Golden Princess 12/03

plamtree.gifYacht.gif

Mariner August 15th Roll Call-Click Here

Our "Win-A-Cruise Bingo" Cruise on the Mariner 8/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;8;15;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

You are right the corner aft only has the window and a door, however the balcony has a great view of not only the back of the ship, b ut the side of it as well. We had the Steward bring us out to lounge chairs, in addition to the two chairs and table.

norm

Jezzdog-Did it bother you having only the small window instead of the double slider? I love the corner balcony view, but hubby wasn't too crazy about the limited view from inside the cabin after having the double slider in our side balcony room.

Have to admit that bothered me a little, but the view outside made up for it. Best of both worlds if they had put a slider there, do not know why they could not of. Just rememeber it is a long walk to the steps and elevator. Have a great time. Be sure to do to Rockin thru the decades, ice skating show, and the parades. Also one night go to Chops, it is designed and served on the order of Morton's of Chicago(the restaurant manager confirmed this to me when asked, because the atomsphere style etc was so similiar) The food is well worth the extra cost-now if they could only get the dinning room food nearly as good. We had booked on her again for Feb 05, but friends we are traveling with have to leave from either Ft Lauderdale or Miami, so this year we will be on the Naviagator Enjoy

norm

callahanjulie10,

When are you going on your cruise? We are booked for 8/29 and I am hoping my daughter will find more friends her age. She will be 14 the day we sail!

Dolores

www.my.tupperware.com/rdolores

helps pay for....

Mariner of the Seas on 8/29/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;8;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

When we first started RCCL , they did have an "afternoon tea" b/t 3-4pm. The next cruise it was "Ice cream hour & Tea" 3-4pm. Last cruise I noticed no tea, but then I cruised Disney and don't recall tea times, either. I think it's just RCCL is moving in a more casual/family/adventure type of cruise. Tea is served 24-7 at cafe Promanade- but that would be missing the "point" of high tea. Princess/Celebrity/Holland have high teas I believe.

Song of America 1991

Majesty of the Sea 1993

Monarch of the Sea 1996

Sov.of the Sea 1999

Disney Wonder 2001

Explorer 12/13/03

Mariner of the Seas 6/19/05

We cruise on October 31- which is just a couple of days after my daughter's birthday too! We have always been able to meet families in advance (using disboards.com) and the girls have been able to IM or email each other so that they were familiar with each other precruise. Our ship is sold out but we haven't been able to find anyone else who has a 13 year old girl! I wish we were going on your cruise so at least it would put my mind at ease!

callahanjulie10,

We have a Mariner of the Seas personal planning page, which has many links to Mariner of the Seas photo albums (1000's of cruise ship pictures), Menus, Compass, a 360 virtual tour, the CDC Sanitation Inspection Scores, gobs of review posts, and lots more. We continue to update the page (we've just added several more photo albums links):

http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/marineroftheseas.htm

icon_smile.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

Happy Cruising, Buil, http://cruiseclues.com

Sitmar, RCCL, Costa, HAL, Princess, Royal Cruise Line, Celebrity, Renaissance, Disney, MSC Lirica

"We cannot change the direction of the wind... but we can adjust our sails"

Eric, Voyager was AWESOME! I'd live in the broom closet for a week just to sail on her!

I'm hopefully going to post my Mariner review starting tomorrow. It's a 'labor of love' so I want to do it right! My Voyager review took several hours and 7 different posts...as I covered one day per post. You'll have a great time on Voyager!

brianandtanya, not sure, I'll have to check my Cruise Compasses to see...I still have them of course!!!

Cindy

Archived