Star question/return to airport

kim826

I am trying to book my own airfare. My travel agent is telling me that I need to book for a flight leaving after 1:30 p.m. if I want to take purchase the NCL transfer. There is a flight at noon that works out better for us as we arrive back home at a much more decent hour. This is the Mexican Riveria cruise and the ship docks at Los Angeles at 7 a.m. Do you think I will be safe booking a noon flight? Are there other options for getting back to the airport other than going through NCL? What are the costs? Thanks for any help you can give!

NCL allows passengers who are willing to carry their own luggage off the ship to disembark early....they also give passengers with early flights consideration when issuing color tags to dismebark. Just to be safe though, I think I would want to book a flight out later because anything can happen. They might have an immigration check of all crew members (something they do without previous notice) which delays people from getting off the ship.

Can you check other arilines that would have a schedule that leaves a bit later, but is a non-stop flight?

I'll be on the NCL STAR to Mexico on 3/29. When is your trip?

we just did the early debarkation from the STAR - no problems; docked by 7A, off by 7:30A dragging our bags. picked up blue shuttle back to LAX - arrived by 8:20A. paid $25pp to fly standby on earlier US Air flight - cleared the list / arrived home 5 hours earlier than orginally planned. you must sign up early in the week to get on the "early debarkation" list as only 300 are permitted to do this.

We were on the Star last month and had a 12:15 flight out of LAX to JFK. We were at the airport by about 9:30.

But as EmJake's Bubbie said above, make sure you get to the front desk early in the cruise and get on the list.

Thanks everyone for your info. I keep trying to post, but the website times out. I'll try again :) Anyway, I have to stick with leaving around noon as we still have a 7 hour drive (we save $300 per person by flying out of Chicago vs. our home airport in Upper Michigan).

What is the blue shuttle available? Do you need to reserve ahead of time or just grab it at the pier?

We aren't going until October 8th, but I am a planner! Your information on this board has helped so much. I have been able to find pricing much lower than my travel agent quoted. Thank you guys!

One more question. We are flying in the day before. Does anyone have any suggestions for hotels to stay at that offer a shuttle to the pier? Ideally we'd like to grab a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then hotel-sponsored shuttle to the pier. Can you just grab shuttles at the airport as well (LAX) or do you need to reserve ahead of time for that as well?

This is my second mexican R crusie, loved it last yr. Highly urge u to consider spending the night on the QMI at Long Beach, words can describe, next day get super Suttle at Long Beach, 20 Minutes to pier at san Pedro, cost is about $15PP.

Recommend to stay overnt at the airport for the 1 nt prior to sailing - most hotel shuttles will provide complimentary transport back 'n forth to airport - call hotel direct to save - many choices from which to select. Ask for applicable discounts! From LAX (on day of sailing) no problem to pick up the airport curbside "blue shuttle" - reservations not required which will afford you better flexibility. It's about a 40 minute ride to ship, so allow plenty of time as you'll want to be at the ship nlt noon'ish - Latitudes lines for check in can get long with so many "repeat cruisers" - "suites" can be a faster (but not necessarily guaranteed) line. We shared the blue shuttle with other cruisers - worked out to about $15pp one way - transfers from NCL available for around $20pp one way and available even if you are doing your own air. To transport yourselves in the most timely, efficient, and economical manner, I recommend Blue Shuttle. Blue Shuttle will move you quickly from the ship on day of debarkation IF you plan ahead and get the early pass to get off carrying your own bags (check early on board for this priviledge) - the NCL transfer bus may not get you back to the airport as quickly as the shuttle/early debarkation.

Archived