Scooter in Cabin is it a lift?

gofeo

In april I am taking my father in law on the SKY . They only have 4 handicap cabins on the ship. We are taking a regular inside cabin on deck eight. They told me you have to step up into the cabin and I would probably have to lift his scootor up. Does anyone know how high the step is? They said the handicap cabins are even with the hall.

In april I am taking my father in law on the SKY . They only have 4 handicap cabins on the ship. We are taking a regular inside cabin on deck eight. They told me you have to step up into the cabin and I would probably have to lift his scootor up. Does anyone know how high the step is? They said the handicap cabins are even with the hall.

Though I haven't been on the Sky all other cruise ships I have been on there is not a step to get into the cabin but there is a riser to get into the bathroom. Where are you going to put the scooter? The insides are very small.

No. This is incorrect. There is a step (about 3-4") into the bathroom. There is no step up into the cabin. They usually require that the scooters be able to fit in the cabin. You should call the special needs department at NCL (866-584-9756) to be sure......they have restrictions on the types of scooters you can bring on-board too.

Unless you have one of the smaller travel scooters, you will not be able to get it through the door of a non HC cabin, the doors are too narrow. And you are not allowed to leave them in the hall or anywhere but in the cabin. And even the smaller scooters would take up most, if not all, of your walkway inside the cabin.

Thanks for all the good answers. I did call the NCL number and they gave me the number to a company called care vacations. 1 877-478-7827. They are allowed on most cruise ships and rent scootors and wheel chairs, oxygen, ect. They have three size scootors. They said the small and medium chairs fit thru regular doors. The small one is 185.00 for up to 7 days. A wheel chair rents for 75.00. That is quite a bit on top of the single supliment for the cruise. If anyone can find me the width of the regular cabin door, I would really appreciate it and could measure his and see if his scootor will fit. Thanks Gary

Hi

Just wanted to say be careful with the insides on the sky. We were in one when she was the pride of aloha and the room was very small. If I remember correctly there was really nothing but a short hallway to get past the washroom, and then the bed. There was a very small vanity but no coffee table or chair or couch. There would not be enough room to park the scooter in the hallway and manouver around it. Maybe if the beds were separated, there would be room in between but just barely. Seriously small room. We opened the door and laughed. Worked out fine for us, but might be tricky for someone with mobility issues. It was on deck 8 or 9. Loved the ship and the cruise, just wanted to warn you.

Cheers

Thanks for all the good answers. I did call the NCL number and they gave me the number to a company called care vacations. 1 877-478-7827. They are allowed on most cruise ships and rent scootors and wheel chairs, oxygen, ect. They have three size scootors. They said the small and medium chairs fit thru regular doors. The small one is 185.00 for up to 7 days. A wheel chair rents for 75.00. That is quite a bit on top of the single supliment for the cruise. If anyone can find me the width of the regular cabin door, I would really appreciate it and could measure his and see if his scootor will fit. Thanks Gary

The usable space for a door on a non-accessible cabin is about 21". In an accessible cabin it is 32". (My power chair, which is not as wide as a scooter, would not fit through a standard door).

Archived