Clear Lake, Kemah

melmar02

We're staying in Clear Lake on New year's eve and day... anything not to miss in that area or Kemah?

You will have a car? Sounds like it...definately go to Kemah. It's a lot of fun. Hopefully the weather will be beautiful during your time here.

Go to Johnson Space Center...go to Galveson and drive down the seawall. Park the car and walk up and down the Strand.

It's funny, Houston is my home but I can't say I'd be thrilled to come here as a visitor. To me there just isnt that much sightseeing to do. But there are a few hidden gems...check out galveston.com; check out the tree carvings. I still haven't gone down to Galveston to see these. Shame on ME!

You will have a car? Sounds like it...definately go to Kemah. It's a lot of fun. Hopefully the weather will be beautiful during your time here.

Go to Johnson Space Center...go to Galveson and drive down the seawall. Park the car and walk up and down the Strand.

It's funny, Houston is my home but I can't say I'd be thrilled to come here as a visitor. To me there just isnt that much sightseeing to do. But there are a few hidden gems...check out galveston.com; check out the tree carvings. I still haven't gone down to Galveston to see these. Shame on ME!

You can also make a trip to Hermann Park and see the Houston Zoo(they have done so much work on the Zoo and it's really nice) and take a train ride through the park, see the Museum of Fine Arts (a beautiful museum), the Museum of Natural History, and the Holocaust Museum. In the Natural History Museum they have the Cockrell Butterfly Center and yes, the butterflies land on you if you wear brightly colored clothes, an IMAX theater, and a planetarium. Lots of good restaurants all over town and some of my favorites are down in Rice Village close to Rice University and the Medical Center which is also close to Hermann Park.

We're staying in Clear Lake on New year's eve and day... anything not to miss in that area or Kemah?

Kemah is a snooze-fest. The "boardwalk" consists of several restaurants owned by the Landry's chain and a handful of expensive carnival rides and stores that will remind you of an airport gift shop. Landry's restaurants are expensive and mediocre. After about an hour you will have seen all there is to see. It may not be open on the holiday - when I first moved here I tried taking my folks out there on Christmas and was turned away. New Year's may be different.

You'll be close to the Johnson Space Center, but prepare to be underwhelmed there, too.

I second the recommendation to go into Houston and explore the museum district & Hermann Park. I take all of my out of town guests to the butterfly center at the science museum - even thought they've tried to tart it up with "gross bug" exhibits for the kids, once you get into the terrarium it's peaceful.

Heading the other way on I-45 is Galveston. The Fertitta family (Landry's) has a strong presence on the island, but they haven't bought up the entire town like in Kemah. The Strand is a nice place to walk around, and most of the stores down there are mom & pop shops who will appreciate the business.

Otherwise, Clear Lake is a good place to charter a boat. Several yacht companies sail out of there, and there's at least one New Year's party/cruise on Clear Lake every year. I think it's called Fantasea Yachts.

Archived