Found the superstition coin on the Destiny

MSRussell

I went as high as I could go on the ship, and the box is welded behind a piped off area in back of the basketball court.

The players were kind enough to pause their game for a moment while I walked to the back of the court to take a couple pictures.

The box holds a two dollar bill, one coin, and the inscription Destiny, and the date.

Pretty neat.

Melanie

For those of you who do not know, everyship built has a coin minted with the ship name and this coin is placed ON the ship, but never in the same place. It is a tradition that goes back a long time and it is for good luck. ALL Carnival ships have one, but where, they do not tell you or point it out, only those who check out all the nooks and crannies find it. It is usually covered with a clear box over it.

Actually the coin doesn't have to have the ship's name on it, nor is the coin minted for that ship. It can be an ordinary coin, but the coin is supposed to be integrated into the ship's structure. That is the key point of it. So a coin just hidden behind a vase somewhere on the ship wouldn't work. But if it is secured into a welded box, then it is integrated into the ship's structure. Older ships had them sometimes wedged between floorboards, etc.

Hmmm, I wonder if they forgot to put a coin on the Splendor??

EDIT: Thanks so much for the photo of it. I didn't mean to be hinting at anything other than I sure wanted to see what Destiny's coin looked like, lol.

Edited by Unknotted

Thanks, Melanie! (BTW, my dad was born in Elkhart:))

And thanks to the others that included the info on the background of this interesting custom. I had no idea.:)

I, too, will be looking for it on the Pride in January and would appreciate any more clues anyone might have for finding it. Sounds like fun.:)

Actually the coin doesn't have to have the ship's name on it, nor is the coin minted for that ship. It can be an ordinary coin, but the coin is supposed to be integrated into the ship's structure. That is the key point of it. So a coin just hidden behind a vase somewhere on the ship wouldn't work. But if it is secured into a welded box, then it is integrated into the ship's structure. Older ships had them sometimes wedged between floorboards, etc.

I seem to recall reading that the sailing ships of old used to have a coin placed under the main mast where it sits on the keel.

Does anyone know where the Dream's is??

I asked the CD on the Dream last week and he sent his Asst. to find out for me as neither knew what I was talking about at first this was at the past cruisers party and the Captain was also there don't know if he asked the Captain or who but he found us later and told us that it was under the water line welded to the keel.

I'm going on the Dream in March, and am going on the coin hunt also,. I wish I had known about it last April when I was on the Sensation.

I just climb as high as I can go, then snoop around. It's usually by the basketball court.

I think there are public coins, and the ones they actually weld in the ship.

Melanie