Strollers - Take It Or Leave It?

roe2ship

I am considering dragging my stroller on my next cruise but not sure if it is really worth the hassle. I know it depends on each individual child but I am wondering if anyone out there wished they had or had not brought their stroller with them. My son just turned three (Xmas day):) and our cruise is May 21st. He tends to whine after walking for a longer period of time and then wants to be picked up. However, he rarely sits in the stroller for more than 45 minutes at a time. He does take a long nap in the afternoon at home but I doubt he would in the stroller unless you are on the move with it. The stroller I have is a lightweight (about 15lbs) that I purchased at OneStepAhead and really is convenient. What should I do? TIA

If you think you will get good use out of it on shore excursions bring it. I think they are too much of a hassle to use on ship unless your child will nap in it by the pool or else where. I found once mine were three they spent all their time wanting to get out and the stroller became more of a rolling shopping cart for my purse and packages.

I'm not sure what cruise line you are traveling, but we had our 2 year old daughter in the stroller as we were embarking on the Carnival Glory in January. Imagine our surprise as we were wisked to the front of the line to get into the terminal (apparently those in wheelchairs and those with children in strollers receive special treatment!) We got to use the elevators, while everyone else was snaking through barriers to get to the escalators. It was our first cruise, so I'm not sure how much time we saved, but it had to be substantial.

Also, I'm not sure where you're cruising, but at some ports, there was a very long walk through a gauntlet of stores to get "out". The stroller was invaluable in keeping everyone together and moving.

We kept ours collapsed and under the bed when not in use (it fit, even though we had a fair number of suitcases under there also.)

Tried the nap walk with her, and was unsuccessful the first few days, so I just gave up. But there is definitely some merit to that idea also, I think.

I also like the stroller for the airport: even if she's fussing, she's safe during that period of time when I am distracted checking in, checking the luggage, etc. I can't be running after her then, and this way she has to stay put, even if she's complaining about it. Also, if time is tight I can put her in it, throw my son's backpack over the handles, and make a mad dash for the gate. A lot harder to do carrying her and all of the stuff.

My reasoning in deciding to bring it was: I'd rather have it and not use it than leave it at home and wish I'd brought it.

We're cruising again in May when she'll be 2 & 1/2 and we will definitely bring it.

Hope this helps....Happy sailing!!

We took our daughter on a cruise once when she was 14 mos. and then again at 16 mos. We brought the stroller for the first, and used it for about 1 hr. We didn't bring it the second time.

Here were our shore excursions between the two cruises:

Costa Maya--used framed backpack carrier and used golf cart to get around.

Cozumel--twice-taxi to Paradise Beach. Strollers and sand don't mix. :)

Progresso--Maya Ruins--used framed backpack carrier.

Belize--tender port--Shark/Sting Ray tour (by boat/snorkeling).

None of these would have been easy to deal with a stroller.

While on the ship, we made her walk. She was a lot more receptive to sitting down when needed. Plus, it was a great way to wear her out for naps or bedtime.

For our cruise in Nov., we won't bring the carrier or the stroller. We plan on doing:

Jamaica--one of the falls (bus ride from dock).

Grand Cayman--tender port--Stingray Sandbar (by boat/snorkeling).

Cozumel--one of the beaches by taxi

Again, a stroller wouldn't be too helpful.

We did use this attachment to our carry-on for embarkation/debarkation. It was super easy getting in and out of small places with hordes of people.

www.rideoncarryon.com

we're taking our 18 month old to Alaska on the Vision in July. And I must say that I have the same debate in my head.

I'm planning on bringing the framed backpack carrier, which serves as a great diaper bag, as well as good on walking trips and hiking. I think that a stroller would be cumbersome...

Crispybear

Initially, I didn't want to take it, but my wife was right again.:)

LOL, my husband too thinks that it will be a waste, looks like the wives are always right.:D

Crispybear - I would definitely take it for a child that age and considering you are going to Alaska I would imagine it makes a huge difference than the Caribbean destination.

My reason for not being certain is because my child will be over 3 and just seems to be too big for a stroller, additionally once he is out of the stroller, he wants to push it and in turn in becomes annoying as now the stroller must be folded and carried by one of us.:rolleyes:

Archived