Miami before we leave

RedSox

Hey! I am going to be leaving out of Miami and so we're flying down a few days earlier...I am going to be staying at the Sheraton-Biscayne Bay. Anyone ever stayed there? Are there any must-see/ must-do's while I am around that area? I will be there for 4 days before we leave. Any good beaches, bars, etc? You know the routine!

I had a TON of help planning my first cruise from this site and since you're all so well versed in destinations, I figured that this would be the place to ask! Thanks!

-RedSox

Other than South Beach, the only other thing I'm looking at visiting while I'm at the Sheraton Biscayne Bay before I cruise is Bayside Marketplace. Its a great outdoor mall w/ vendors, restaurants, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co *& Hard Rock Cafe. Quite the eclectic collection! Takes me hours to go through there!

Sorry I can't help you out more that that -- its been quite a while since I've been to Miami .

Though you might also want to check out Coconut Grove

Hi Redsoxfan,

I stayed there last month while on business. I wanted to scope it out since that's where our group of eight is staying pre-cruise in April. Here's a link to a mini-review I did http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=125923.

One thing I didn't mention in my review is that there is an excellent Brazillian Steakhouse a few buildings away from the hotel. I was introduced to it a few years back when meeting with clients that had come in from Sao Paolo. The name of it is Porcao, and here's a link to their website http://www.rodizioplace.com. This is a great adult restaurant (I don't think my kids, which range from 3 to 12 would appreciate it as much), the type of which you don't see very often.

Hope this helps! I'm not much for the South Beach scene, so maybe others can offer advise for that neck of the woods for you. Too old and fat for that:eek:! I wouldn't want to scare anyone!

Have fun!

There's a lot to do depending on what you're into. I would go to South Beach and stroll Ocean Dr. There are a lot of restored Art Deco hotels that you really should peek inside. There's also plenty of bars to wet your whistle along the way (try the Clevelander on Ocean Dr). While on Miami Beach go to Lincoln Road. This is a pedestrian mall lined with shops and cafes, especially hopping at night. Be prepared as South Beach has a very diverse cultural scene.

If you like the beach there is always South Beach. Be acreful where you park as many streets are resident parking only. I'll warn you too that there are distinct areas that are topless, Gay or family oriented. No one bothers anyone, and it's all cool. You can also try Crandon Park on Key Biscayne. Crandon Park is not as wide open as South Beach, a little bit more intimate. You'll have to pay a toll to cross the bridge to get there, but you'll get a great view of Miami's colorful condos.

These are just a few suggestions. You can go to www.miamibeach411.com for more info.

If you like Cuban food, or if you're interested in trying it, take a drive over to Calle Ocho (W. Eighth St. or US 41). It's Little Havana. There's a restaurant there called Versailles that is out of this world and very inexpensive.

Versailles is a Miami icon. If you truly want to experience Miami's Cuban culture come here for a meal. This place is fashioned after the Palace of Versailles, but it is by no means formal. This place is loud, bright, noisy and over-the-top kitsch (I mean that lovingly). The food is great and portions are huge. If Versailles is packed try La Caretta, another local institution, just across the street.

Archived