Any advice for 1st cruise with a 15 month old?

BethV114

Hi everyone. DH and I have been on several cruises just the two of us and also with some family members. However, this will be the first time sailing with a little person, our dd who will be 15 months old. We'll be sailing on the Allure's inaugural next month and are wondering if any of you veteran family cruisers have any advice/tips/ideas/suggestions/etc. to offer on what to do, pack, etc. We know to cross pack in case of lost luggage, pack outfits in ziplocs, bring a few favorite toys and bring any medicinal items we might need. We've also decided that instead of packing all of dd's diapers, etc., we'll be placing an order for supplies through diapers.com and having them shipped to our hotel. Then we can simply put a luggage tag on the box and have it loaded onto the ship for us and will only need to actually fly with enough supplies for 2 days or so. But any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like you've got it covered pretty well! You'll have a great time, I'm sure! Don't forget a stroller....lots and lots of walking and you know how toddlers are...they want to, until they get tired and then they're miserable and you will be, too! A stroller will be a godsend!

Sounds like you've got it covered pretty well! You'll have a great time, I'm sure! Don't forget a stroller....lots and lots of walking and you know how toddlers are...they want to, until they get tired and then they're miserable and you will be, too! A stroller will be a godsend!

Don't worry! DD just started walking this month, so we definitely plan on bringing a stroller. We're actually going to add a cheap umbrella stroller to our diapers.com order and get those that set-up that attaches to the carseat for wheeling DD the short bit through the airport.

We cruised on the Celebrity Century with our then 14 month old. The best thing we brought with us was one of those blow up tub by Safety 1st. Not only were we able to put it in the shower to bathe him, we could use it on the pool deck so he could get wet because he was not allowed in the pool!!

Jamie

• 1 month later...

Beth, please let us know how it works. We are seasoned cruisers but cruising for the first time with our 15 month old in mid-January. I was thinking if we could ship a cheapo car seat to the hotel. Didn't think about diapers - was planning to hit Kmart once we get to FLL -- that is brilliant...:p

We just came back from cruising with our 19 month old. We had an umbrella stroller with us, but hardly ever used it. Our lifesaver was the Ergo. We could get meals from the windjammer without having to push the stroller around, and the ergo was always reliable at ports when we didn't know what the road conditions/sidewalks would be like. We pretty much brought our 26 lb son in the ergo (back carry) everywhere with us, even on the tender boat and open-air taxis. A couple times he was so tired he fell asleep in it while we walked.

Also, highly recommend a portable DVD player for those long dinner meals if you plan on doing that. We chose my time dining and usually ate at 6pm, and by the middle of the meal, our son was D-O-N-E and had to be distracted with various toys and the DVD player to last the rest of the meal.

Don't forget to bring your own sippy cups, small packaged snacks and snack containers (they never gave us trouble with baby snacks in getting off or on the ship), dish detergent and a sponge to wash cups and containers, bibs, baby medicines, a blow-up tub, and more diapers and wipes than you think you'll need ;-)

We just came back from cruising with our 19 month old. We had an umbrella stroller with us, but hardly ever used it. Our lifesaver was the Ergo.

I swear by my Ergo so I'm glad to hear that you used it during your cruise. We are cruising with our 8 month old son in 18 days. We have a chicco full sized stroller but I'm considering buying an umbrella stroller. Maybe now I should just bring my chicco and Ergo. What did you use on beach days? What about in the dining room?

I swear by my Ergo so I'm glad to hear that you used it during your cruise. We are cruising with our 8 month old son in 18 days. We have a chicco full sized stroller but I'm considering buying an umbrella stroller. Maybe now I should just bring my chicco and Ergo. What did you use on beach days? What about in the dining room?

We just cruised with our 12 month old son. We used a Britax Blink stroller. We bought it for the cruise because it had the features we were looking for at a good price point. It had the underneath storage net, it reclines to near flat, had a good canopy and folded up compact. We added a universal cupholder to the handles and were all set. We didn't use it at the beach at all. It was fine for going through the streets in town and all over the ship. In the dinng rooms we had them just place it along the wall out of the way while we ate.

We only used our umbrella stroller at Labadee...there were lots of well-paved walkways and when we walked onto the beach, I folded it up and carried it on my shoulder. Depending on your ports, I'm not sure you'll need to buy another stroller just for the cruise, but of course, regular umrella strollers aren't expensive. Ours is a chicco and I think it was $50, but that's the only stroller we have.

It would've been a major pain trying to navigate the cobblestone streets of some ports with the stroller, as well as the crowded shopping areas. In the dining room, we brought him in the ergo or the maya ring sling (hip carry), and then right into the high chair.

Thanks for the feedback. Our ports are CocoCay (all beach- Ergo), Key West (walking and Conch Tram- stoller and Ergo?), and Nassau (beach day- Ergo). I have to learn how to carry him on the hip in the Ergo. I think he will enjoy the view that way. Although carrying him on my back is so much easier!!! Key West is the only day that I'll have him by myself while my s/o and her sister go jet skiing.

Another question that I have swirling around in my head is about food. How likely do you think they will be to puree some veggies and fruit for me in the dining room? I feel like I can find stuff for him in the windjammer for breakfast and maybe lunch but I'm not sure about dinner in the dining room. I make my son's food at home but I wonder if I'm going to have to buy some jarred food to bring along just in case.

At 13 months my girls were able to eat off the menu in the dining room (we ate every meal there). There were always a few soup choices (I would pull the meat and veggies out of the broth), and other soft foods - mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, pastas, salmon. One of my girls would practically dive out of her high chair for the bread sticks. The cruiseline (Princess) had provided jar food for us, but we didn't end up needing any at all.

Best,

Mia

Another question that I have swirling around in my head is about food. How likely do you think they will be to puree some veggies and fruit for me in the dining room? I feel like I can find stuff for him in the windjammer for breakfast and maybe lunch but I'm not sure about dinner in the dining room. I make my son's food at home but I wonder if I'm going to have to buy some jarred food to bring along just in case.

I don't know how old your child is, but if you need to feed him purees, I would bring your own. It's just easier that way...no waiting and no guessing what's in something. Plus the waitstaff are busy enough. The best things you'll find at dinner as far as 'pureed' food goes are the chilled fruit soups. My son (19 months, eats everything we do) drank those soups with a straw he loved them so much. Sometimes we'd just bring his sippy cup and pour the bowl of soup into it. lol.

A few thoughts from someone who's travelled/cruised with babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and all of the above at the same time.

-keep packing to a minimum. Worst case get a load of laundry done if you run out or have more messes than expected

-bringing your own diapers isn't so bad, because as they are used up it allows for more room to pack all those souvenirs!

-on RC you can order baby packages/diapers/food ahead of time. It might be a bit pricey, but convenient. Check out 'Deals and Gifts' on RC website, then find 'babies to go' for diapers, wipes, baby food. This would prevent the delivery to your hotel that you still have to pack to get onboard

-my first RC cruise with little ones was a bit disheartening in the dining room. Getting pureed food was quite a task and nuisance to the staff. I think it really just depends on your waiter. The buffet is definitely more child friendly.

-our first cruise we brought a DVD player for long dinners, now we're down to ipods. Other than that the kids all carry their own little suitcases (think Dora or Diego) and I suspect my 2 year old will fill hers with blankie before anything else.

-consider a few 'swimmers' for beach days

-a stroller that is small, folds, and reclines is best. The tenders are tight, the rooms are cozy, and ultimately if your little one can fall asleep in it then you can probably enjoy more events as a couple, evening in the evening

-Overall I find the staff on cruises LOVE little ones. Many have left their kids behind for many months, and I find my babies are quite popular and people will help you out in any way they can

Thanks for the feedback. I bought an umbrella stroller from craiglist over the weekend, jars of baby food, diapers and one of those inflatable tubs. I think I'm set. My son will turn 9 months while we're on the cruise. He eats a lot of purees although we are trying to increase finger foods. My plan is to go to the dining room when we get on board and ask for a pureed fruit and veggie as a heads up. I may be alone in this thought but bc I paid full price for my son and will be paying gratuity, I really hope that they can accomodate this small request.

7 more days. Yay! Thanks everyone for your help

This is a very useful thread! We're headed on RCI in March with a 12 month old.

Any advice about excursions? Panama is one of our ports, and we really want to see the canal/locks...with our little guy in tow (either in an Ergo or umbrella stroller).

It looks like on RCI's website that they don't charge for infants for excursions...or at least it says "$0.00." for infants.

Any thoughts or advice?

Beth, please let us know how it works. We are seasoned cruisers but cruising for the first time with our 15 month old in mid-January. I was thinking if we could ship a cheapo car seat to the hotel. Didn't think about diapers - was planning to hit Kmart once we get to FLL -- that is brilliant...:p

We bought a cheap umbrella stroller ($20) at KMart. We had a box of diapers, wipes, some sippy cups, etc. shipped to the hotel through diapers.com and that worked out well. We did travel with DD's car seat (which we managed to fit in the closet) and loved the GoGoBabyz wheels that we got for it. As far as storing the stroller, we simply wheeled it into the shower at the end of the day. I have to admit that it was a tight squeeze in the standard balcony cabin we had with 2 adults and a todller in a pack n play, but it was an adventure and we made it work!

Many excursions do not allow children. You will have to check on a case-by-case basis. If they do allow children and don't charge for them, good! My in-laws took my toddler son on a beach excursion that didn't charge for him and it was fine.

We cruised on the Celebrity Century with our then 14 month old. The best thing we brought with us was one of those blow up tub by Safety 1st. Not only were we able to put it in the shower to bathe him, we could use it on the pool deck so he could get wet because he was not allowed in the pool!!

Jamie

Hi there, I'm just curious how you used this on deck? Where do you fill the tub up when you're on deck so that the baby can sit in it and keep cool?

Archived