My detailed Alaska trip report

CruisingGoddess

Hi Rebecca,

After cruising on the Island Princess, what's your input for the best deck and which side of the ship is best for seeing the most in ports and at sea?

Thanks for your response!

Now we are having spring in February. Sure feels goods!

Patti

Hi, Patti!!

I wrote about this in my review, including covered vs. uncovered balconies, which side of the ship, and that sort of thing:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/414/

Read the "Decisions" and "Room" sections. Hump balconies are preferred because the balcony is bigger but are usually more expensive and the corner hump balconies are not protected from windy rain. The only thing I would add is something to consider on all cruises:

- Don't be directly under/above a lounge or club that may have dancing or loud music.

- Don't be directly under the pool because of early morning deck cleaning and the infamous "elephants stampeding" sound that the pool furniture makes when they move it around.

It usually safest to be on a deck with only rooms above and below your deck but I booked a guarantee and was put under the pool deck. However, I moved my room to underneath the spa/salon and it was fine.

How were you able to move a guarantee cabin? What was involved?

Once I was assigned a cabin, I looked up the category which in this case was BB. You can only change to a cabin in the EXACT category you are assigned so I went on Princess' web site and looked up open BB cabins and sent my TA a list of 5 cabin numbers that I would rather have. They called Princess to change it and I got my first pick. Of course, there is no guarantee that you can change cabins since you booked a guarantee but I've been able to on every guarantee that I've booked (which is this one and one on Royal Caribbean). Also, if you are assigned your room very close to your cruise, you probably won't have many options to move to. It's always a gamble but it's worked out for me so far.

Hi Rebecca,

Went back and read your ship review again and compared your pictures with Tom O's.

It looks like in port that it could be either side of the ship facing land depending on the circumstances.

We are actually working all week. No ice problems to hinder us. Looking forward to a nice, warm weekend!

Patti

Hi Rebecca,

Went back and read your ship review again and compared your pictures with Tom O's.

It looks like in port that it could be either side of the ship facing land depending on the circumstances.

We are actually working all week. No ice problems to hinder us. Looking forward to a nice, warm weekend!

Patti

I think it's more important to be on the port side for Glacier Bay, then which side faces port when docked since you won't be in the room much when the ship is docked anyway.

The weather is so lovely this week!! Too bad it's not always like this. Pretty soon, it'll be summer and hotter than heck!! LOL!

Hi Rebecca,

From my Western Caribbean cruises, I remember how nice it was coming into Roatan and that the other ports weren't that pretty. Thus my question about the ship in port.

I had thought about a NB cruise so I wonder if the port side in Glacier Bay would still be true.

Thanks for your input. Still contemplating it all but enjoying this nice weekend in Dallas!

Patti

I vaguely recall people saying that it is the same for Glacier Bay regardless of NB or SB because once you enter Glacier Bay, they take the same route but you might want to search the Alaska boards to be sure.

We faced the port in Juneau and Ketchikan for sure. In Skagway, I think we faced the water but I don't remember for sure. I didn't take any photos from the balcony, except of us sailing into port, so I'm assuming there was nothing to take a photo of!

It's coming along. Thanks for asking! I booked all of our private tours & excursions but there are 3 ports that we are going to DIY so I'm working on the details and logistics for those 3 days.

However, I'm spent this whole long weekend doing taxes though. I just finished! *whew* Now, back to planning Asia!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have read your review before but seeing as it is getting closer I am reading it again and printing out section for hubby to read.

It certainly is an excellent read, thank you so much.

Hello Cruisinggoddess,

Thanks for your excellent blog, it's very helpful. My daughter and I will be on Coral in July and doing Denali on our own for a couple of nights. We're also planning to take the park bus to Eilson visitor center. We'll be staying at the Mc Kinley Chalet Resort (I believe it's near the Denali Prncess). Regarding choices for buying lunch, do you remember if there were other choices in addition to Subway? Do you know/ remember if the McKinley Chalet is walking distance to Denali Princess Lodge?

Thanks for any addtl info.

Hi Rebecca, I have a few questions for you. Since you arrange the Meet & Greet, did you invite any ship staff to your M&G? I'm working on our May 30th cruise out of San Francisco"s M&G. Did you do a second/follow up M&G?

Finally, I'm very interested in seeing your T-shirt design and how did the other cruisers get your design. What a great idea! Thanks, Gimer

Yesterday, I tried twice to respond but the page wouldn't load. Glad most of the CC issues have cleared up today!!

Hello Cruisinggoddess,

Thanks for your excellent blog, it's very helpful. My daughter and I will be on Coral in July and doing Denali on our own for a couple of nights. We're also planning to take the park bus to Eilson visitor center. We'll be staying at the Mc Kinley Chalet Resort (I believe it's near the Denali Prncess). Regarding choices for buying lunch, do you remember if there were other choices in addition to Subway? Do you know/ remember if the McKinley Chalet is walking distance to Denali Princess Lodge?

Thanks for any addtl info.

There are several places to eat along Glitter Gulch (the area across both Denali Princess and McKinley Chalet) but I don't think many are opened very early. Salmon Bake makes boxed lunches but when we asked about them, they said they will only do a minimum of 6, which didn't work for us since we are only 2 people, and they cost $12.95 each, which is more expensive than just getting Subway, chips, and drink. There is also a small grocery store at the far right end (when facing the shops) that sold pre-packed sandwiches and fruit but I don't know how early they open.

McKinley Chalet is walking distance from Denali Princess Lodge but it's not really close. They are directly across from Glitter Gulch on opposite ends of Glitter Gulch. We did the walk from the other side of the street but were shopping along the way so it seemed shorter. I'd allow 15 minutes to walk there, just in case.

Hi Rebecca, I have a few questions for you. Since you arrange the Meet & Greet, did you invite any ship staff to your M&G? I'm working on our May 30th cruise out of San Francisco"s M&G. Did you do a second/follow up M&G?

Finally, I'm very interested in seeing your T-shirt design and how did the other cruisers get your design. What a great idea! Thanks, Gimer

I did not invite any ship staff nor notify them of our M&G because I couldn't get anyone in our Roll Call to commit to attending and didn't want to organize a big shindig for just me & DH! I even told everyone that if no one showed up within 15 minutes, I would bail too. LOL! We winded up having 10 people attending, which was great!! We did not have a second or follow up M&G. If you do want to invite the ship's staff, there is usually an e-mail address you can contact depending on the ship. Go the forum for your cruise line and do a search or post a question there. Someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

I made a "store" on CafePress.com and put the t-shirt design there. CafePress handles all the printing, ordering, and shipping and they are great! They offer lots of styles and sizes too. I don't have the store for the Alaska cruise anymore but here's an example of the one I did for our Asia cruise:

http://www.cafepress.com/osaka2shanghai

Hope that helps!!

Thanks for your heads up. Just today, I received names of the ship staff to be invited. Like you, I do not know how many are coming:rolleyes:. I will also check out Cafepress. Gimer

Hi Rebeccca, loved reading your blog about your trip and seeing the pictures. I do have a question about the White Pass Train excursion in Skagway. My husband and I want to do this but can't decide between the 7.5 hour trip or the 9 hour trip. When you were at Lake Bennett, were you able to walk around the town a little? And since it is a long day, after lunch on the bus, are there restroom stops on the way back to Skagway :o

Archived