Too Windy for Sting Ray City?

sargenet

We are supposed to be in Grand Cayman next Tuesday. I had read on our roll call that some bad weather was heading into the western carribean. I know our cruise is a few days out but weather.com is showing that day to be VERY windy!

Right now we are booked with Moby Dick Tours to go to see the sting rays and snorkel. But if we get there and it is too windy it might not be an option. Has this happened to anyone?

My second option is Turtle Farm (we have a 7 year old). Since it would be a last minute change of plans does anyone know if you can take a taxi from the pier there and back without a problem?

I can usually go with the flow but my son is so excited about stingrays and the snorkeling. We have been studying sting rays and he has been practicing snorkeling. But it the waves are high it might not be an option for him! Need a good back up plan for a windy day with a 7 year old!

I was there last week and it was pretty windy - we were not expecting the water on the Stingray sandbar to be so choppy. It was quite hilarious as everyone was screaming trying to stay afloat while simultaneously running away from the stingrays lol! If your son is a good swimmer, think he should be okay, and he can probably wear a life vest....I'm 5'2" and the waves were constantly going over my head, definitely not like the pictures I saw from previous posters of smooth water.

The turtle farm is about 15-20 mins away from the dock...you should have no problem finding a taxi to take you there. I'm sure there will be plenty of tours/shuttle buses waiting outside the gates to take you there as well. I loved the turtle farm!

Thank you for that info. Today I looked at the weather and they have been experiencing 22mph winds... seems to be the norm the last few days. There is no way I can take my son out there if the water is like that! Why? I can't swim. I have been there before and I can guarantee my son will be freaking at first clinging to me for dear life!!! And he just learned to swim. He has snorkeled once before in Hawaii but it was a calm lagoon! Might not be a good match for us....

Guess I will wait and see what the tenders look like in the water. I have a reservation on hold but have not prepaid. I was going to switch to another company, Captain Marvin's, but they said they will go out even in light rain. I don't want to get "stuck" going and being miserable or lose my money. I am sticking with Moby Dick Tours... we have a reservation, but you pay at the port.

Oh yeah.. I get seasick REAL easy too!

Thank you for that info. Today I looked at the weather and they have been experiencing 22mph winds... seems to be the norm the last few days. There is no way I can take my son out there if the water is like that! Why? I can't swim. I have been there before and I can guarantee my son will be freaking at first clinging to me for dear life!!! And he just learned to swim. He has snorkeled once before in Hawaii but it was a calm lagoon! Might not be a good match for us....

Guess I will wait and see what the tenders look like in the water. I have a reservation on hold but have not prepaid. I was going to switch to another company, Captain Marvin's, but they said they will go out even in light rain. I don't want to get "stuck" going and being miserable or lose my money. I am sticking with Moby Dick Tours... we have a reservation, but you pay at the port.

Oh yeah.. I get seasick REAL easy too!

Hm yeah, I think the winds are a product of whatever weather system has been passing through the past week - I don't think it's normal, otherwise I wouldn't have been in for such a surprise lol! I am not a good swimmer either, so I was holding onto my bf for dear life the ENTIRE time. I think your current wait and see plan is good - without knowing you guys, I do think it might be a bit freaky for you both out there if the winds continue to pick up.

The winds lately are not out of the ordinary.

The wave heights are dependent not only on the strength of the wind but also the direction. Some wind directions are more sheltering than others.

Thanks... I am a little concerned because I emailed Moby Dick Tours and specifically asked them if they had life vests because we had a small child.... he replied that they had snorkel vests.... hmmmm shouldn't a boat with that many people carry life vests???????

Thanks... I am a little concerned because I emailed Moby Dick Tours and specifically asked them if they had life vests because we had a small child.... he replied that they had snorkel vests.... hmmmm shouldn't a boat with that many people carry life vests???????

We were there last Friday and snorkelled first using snorkel vests. The wind was very high and the waves were crazy. Snorkelling was really hard and the vest worked just fine for me. The stingray part was also very wavy and knocked me over a few times. It was an amazing experience for sure and your son would probably be fine with the snorkel vest. He could also use the mask and just float around with the stingrays. It's truly an amazing thing to see. They are so tame and just want to be stroked. Definitely the best excursion I've ever been on!!

Archived