Why aren't there more 2-tops?

PS90

Two tops cost the cruise lines money for the reasons stated by many posters, so in the MDR they are kept at a minimum. If you want a table for two you can have one in most specialty resturants on board every night by reservation. It will cost you the price of two meals($30 to $60 for two) plus tip. As the demand for anything grows, cruise lines will find a way to charge for it. There in the money making business. Bill

Since cruise lines have started having anytime dining (and it's equivalent) available we've always chosen it, and have never had more than a 10 minute wait for a table for two. We actually waited longer one night when we decided we'd "share", waiting to find another couple willing to share!

When we go out to a restaurant at home we're not required to sit with strangers and make polite conversation. Why should we be required to do it on vacation?

Obviously people have different opinions about eating "alone" vs. eating at a large table. Personally, that's one of the benefits of My Time Dining -- you aren't tied into doing the same thing every night. I like eating with a group SOMETIMES, but I don't always feel like doing it.

Some excellent points have been made, but I have one more addition:

I suspect people spend more on wine and mixed drinks when they're in a group. Think about it. If you're waivering between ordering a drink or just sticking with water, and the person next to you orders a drink, you're probably going to say, "Oh, I'll get one too". And if you're ordering a bottle of wine, you're more likely to share it with the table (whereas a two-person table might drink only half the bottle and finish it off the next night). Finally, you might linger longer over coffee or after-dinner drinks with a big group.

Since cruise lines have started having anytime dining (and it's equivalent) available we've always chosen it, and have never had more than a 10 minute wait for a table for two. We actually waited longer one night when we decided we'd "share", waiting to find another couple willing to share!

When we go out to a restaurant at home we're not required to sit with strangers and make polite conversation. Why should we be required to do it on vacation?

Thanks, uppitycats!

Thanks for the experience on Select dining. I may be opting to go that route, too.

And the last part is exactly how I feel, as well!

Hey Cruizin,

Do you think it's generally easier to get a 2-top using Specialty Dining (I mean, without a REALLY long wait), than it is to get assigned one using Traditional Dining?

Thanks for the help. ;)

If you are in a suite on Celebrity you get your choice of table configuration without any hassle at all. If you aren't lots of people have had luck getting 2 tops with little to no wait on Celebrity "anytime" dining (or whatever its called!)

DH and I always book a suite - largely for the 2 top dining, I really don't want to eat with other people, I want to enjoy MY vacation!

I felt really bad for a group of 8 that was sitting behind us on last years cruise - there was one guy who was "that" guy. He wanted to shout about his wine package, and about how this sucks and that sucks, and his investment portfolio, and blah blah blah.... His 6 tablemates looked SOOOO happy when he didn't show up to the MDR one night!

In my limited experience (five cruises on NCL) the MDR hostesses and maitre'ds are most adept at matching couples who want or are willing to share. Most times when there is a bit of a line, we say we'll share. We've never had a horrible experience, and we've had some wonderful times.

If you are in a suite on Celebrity you get your choice of table configuration without any hassle at all. If you aren't lots of people have had luck getting 2 tops with little to no wait on Celebrity "anytime" dining (or whatever its called!)

DH and I always book a suite - largely for the 2 top dining, I really don't want to eat with other people, I want to enjoy MY vacation!

I felt really bad for a group of 8 that was sitting behind us on last years cruise - there was one guy who was "that" guy. He wanted to shout about his wine package, and about how this sucks and that sucks, and his investment portfolio, and blah blah blah.... His 6 tablemates looked SOOOO happy when he didn't show up to the MDR one night!

Thanks, yay. I feel exactly the same, although I am WAY too poor to land a suite.

You shouild always be very careful what you wish for on a cruise.

A table for 2 takes nearly as much space as a table for 4.

More tables for 2 would require reducing the capacity of the dining room.

That results in longer waits and longer lines to go to dinner.

Are you willing to wait in line an additional 30 to 60 minutes in order to get a table for 2??

Or, a dreaded THIRD SEATING!

Archived