Coupon Redemption Question??

dmk

I had a $150.00 Savings Coupon credited to my upcoming cruise. It was a Coupon in the last Captain's Club Magazine. One that gives you a discount off your cruise not an Onboard Credit. Eventhough I had booked this particular cruises a few months before the Coupon date, I sent it in anyway to see if they would apply it.

I received an email today to say that it has been applied. Very lucky for me! It shows it is worth just trying it.

I sent this Coupon directly to Celebrity and not through my TA. My question is who will receive the cabin credit, my TA or me? and how? Oh yes, and the final payment has been paid last December.

Generally, coupons are applied to your final payment and your final payment ends up being reduced by the amount of the coupon less T/A commissions. T/A's don't want the coupon to affect their commissions so the value of the coupon as applied to final payment is sometimes reduced by your T/A. In your case you seem to indicate that you have already made final payment so it could be up to your T/A how much you are credited for the coupon.

My TA has always made sure that I was given full value for my coupon - so sometimes I saw 2 credits on my final bill - that add up to the final coupon. If my TA deducted her commission from the coupon, I would find a different TA. After all, she knew I was a Captain's club member and may have coupons that are applicable when I booked with her.

Generally, coupons are applied to your final payment and your final payment ends up being reduced by the amount of the coupon less T/A commissions. T/A's don't want the coupon to affect their commissions so the value of the coupon as applied to final payment is sometimes reduced by your T/A. In your case you seem to indicate that you have already made final payment so it could be up to your T/A how much you are credited for the coupon.

Do not let this happen. You are entitled to the full amount of the coupon, and, it is not 'up to the TA'. If they try to reduce the coupon amount to protect their commission, please tell them that next cruise, you will be working with a different TA.

I feel we have a great TA, who has never 'made an issue' of a coupon, in fact, she has lobbied hard if there ever was even a hint of question regarding the validity of the coupon. And our TA has never ever tried to reduce the value of the coupon at all.

hajekfam and tbelian,

I agree wholeheartedly with you both. The coupons should be worth their face value by both the cruise line and the Travel Agent. I was merely pointing out that some of the larger internet cruise booking companies want to reduce the value of the coupons.

I was merely pointing out that some of the larger internet cruise booking companies want to reduce the value of the coupons.

I was taking issue with the practice, hopefully you didnt interpret it as taking issue with you.

The practice is unscrupulous, and this is yet another reason why I would not work with these agencies when it comes to booking a cruise.

For those in the know, perhaps you can help me understand this latest update. A bit more background first. I booked this cruise when TA's were allowed to give you super discounts. And that's what I got, a fabulous price. I also emailed this coupon directly to Celebrity, bypassing my TA.

I emailed my TA to ask and told him about this coupon.I asked if Iwould be receiving a credit for this $125.00 coupon. He got back to me and said

1. He spoke to Celebrity and they have applied the credit to my final payment.

2. However, Celebrity has applied a new price to my cruise because it is outside the TA"s inventory price.?

3. This cruise is now more expensive and with the coupon discount I now owe $126.00.

Finally, after loosing my cool, my TA said he was able to get Celebrity to drop this new charge and the coupon will now not be valid.

Has anyone heard of such a situation? Should i be looking for a new TA or ....???

Yes, you should be looking for a new TA. Give this on the 'Trumpster' , and say "Your FIRED!".

You say you paid the final payment in December? Does this mean your cruise is in the very near future (FEB/MARCH)? If you are still techinically outside the penalty period (60 days), you can still cancel and rebook, even IF final payment has been made (provided of course you are steamed enough to do this)...

And 'Celebrlity' is rasising the price now? Your TA is handing you a line of BS.

IMO.

Archived