Alcohol & Cigs

funNsun4me

We are doing a 12 night Southern Caribbean out of NJ, no flying involved. Wondering on limited of alcohol & cigs that we can bring back without having to worry about customs. FYI, St. Thomas is on the itinerary. Also, if over the limited does anyone know what the custom fees are?:rolleyes:

When we went on our last cruise we flew and our DS and DDIL drove down and they brought our alcohol home for us. So I knew that I wanted to make the most of it. I asked in the General store on the FOS about how much per bottle if you go over your limit and was informed by the person working there, "Don't worry about it. Pack it in your suitcase and they will never check" Others in the store said the same thing. Carry your allowance off and put the rest in your suitcase. But I was too afraid of customs and claimed all 14 bottles we bought. As we went through customs we handed them our form that we had filled out and he didn't even look at it just waved us through and said "Have a nice day". So I really don't know how much they charge (one customer in the store said it was like $1.50 per bottle) As far as the cigarettes you may want to open them up when you buy them, there was a lady returning one of those BIG boxes and saying they were stale. They did give her the money back. Happy Cruising.

THe legal amount is 1 carton of cigarettes per person and I think 1-2 40 oz. bottles of liquor.

I *think* if you hit a US territory they will allow an increase in that limit but I'm not 100% sure on that.

The best source of information would be directly from the US customs website. I'm sure you can Google it.

We cruised Mexican Riviera on Mariner.

I am not sure if they told us at the ship store it was 2 cartons of cigarettes per person or we assumed it because of the 2 for $x.xx price, but DW bought 4 cartons (since there was two of us).

Going through customs we found out it is only one carton per person. It was a $20 fee for the extra two cartons, which may STILL be better than Indianapolis prices (I don't buy them here, only DW smokes)

If you stop at a US territory, that may get raised to more cartons

It's been my experience that you can do 5 cartons per person, if you call at St.Thomas, without paying duty.

And, just as an aside, you can actually purchase as many cartons as you wish as long as you're prepared to declare the purchase & then pay the duty. Never, never fail to declare it...because then you risk confiscation. I do this twice a year.

The rule for cigarettes brought back into the U.S. is one carton per person. If you visit St. Thomas you can bring back 5 cartons per person over the age of 18 as long as at least 4 cartons were purchased in St. Thomas.

To avoid any problems with customs just purchase all in St. Thomas.....the price is cheaper by a dollar or two. Check out the specials at Dynasty, it's right at Havensight Pier.

Archived