Newly certified divers - where to dive?

WET193

We are going on a western Caribbean with stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth, Jamaica. I have been told that we want to dive in Cozumel with Cayman as a second choice. But, there are other things we would like to do in both Cozumel and Cayman. Would Jamaica be that bad for some new divers? We have only been in a pool and a quarry in Texas, so I'm thinking anything would be better than that. Would Jamaica be okay, or should we really try for Cozumel or Cayman?

Cozumel & Cayman are two of the premier dive locations in the Caribbean....Jamaica, not so much. So, you really need to decide if you want to dive, or you want to do other things. If dive, you really need to do at least one of the two. Of the two, I prefer Cozumel. Cozumel was also my first ocean dive.

Mike

I've been diving the islands since the late 70's

Jamacia - for the places the cruise ships go, NO, forget about it

Cozumel - yes IF you are comfortable with drift diving. Coz' has currents . . . you really need a boat dive.

Cayman - my choice. You can shore dive very easily or take a boat out to the wall.

As a nwly certified diver I would recommend looking into a shore dive at EDEN Rock or Sunset House on Grand Cayman .... these sites are easy shore entry and the navigation is a no brainer .... head east and you run back into the dive shop.

Per'snly I go to Sunset but just because I've been diving their site for over 20 years . . .

{pssss . . . you may see something different today then you did last nite . . .}

Agree with all. Eden rock is good for new divers. Won't see as much, but it's so convenient. Eden Rock Dive center is full service, and can have instructor and dive masters who can do a shore guide with you. There is also ABanks which is a shed/stand renting out gears, at a restaurant just before Eden Rock Dive Center. They sometimes also have DMs that can guide you (cheaper than Eden Rock). Google and then call to make appointments before going.

Another thing to consider is where you will embark. In Miami/FLL or Tampa, there are also diving nearby. Key Largo is great and one hr from Miami. Tampa/Clearwater doesn't have clear water, but a bit north there are springs you can dive in. Rainbow River is a very easy drift shallow dive, in very clear spring water.

We went to Grand Cayman and Cozumel last week on a 5 day NCL Dawn cruise out of Miami and dove at our old standbys of Sunset House on Grand Cayman and Scuba Club Cozumel. Both are good dives with Coz being world class cheap at $6.50 for a tank and weights. $15. for tank and weights at Sunset House. Both are shore dives...........

I suggest you do Sunset House with a Divemaster arranged through Sunset--go out to the Mermaid statue and the wreck with a max depth of 65 ft and great Visibility--about 70-80 a few days ago................82 degrees in the water--enjoy!!!

I have to agree with the group here, where the ship goes in Jamaica don't bother diving. The last time I was there the dive site was so messy I spent the entire diving picking up cans on the bottom, including a 1 gallon can of yellow paint that was still half full.

Cozumel is amazing, there is a current, but drift diving is easy, just follow the divemaster and listen to the briefing. The visibility is usually between fantastic and amazing.

If you are only going to do one I would probably suggest Grand Cayman, but having been to Cozumel about 6 times now, I would be disappointed if I didn't dive or at least snorkel while we are there.

Archived