Passenger drop off in Galveston

Hi! My husband and I are leaving on our first cruise on June 12 (Rhapsody). We live in Houston and so does my family.

For those who are familiar with Galveston, is it easy to be dropped off? My parents were going to drop my husband and I off and then pick us up so we do not have to worry about leaving a car. Will this be a problem???

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Being dropped off won't be a problem at all - in fact you are very lucky! You won't have to deal with parking and you'll save money to boot. The only bad thing is trying to determine what time your parents should pick you up after the cruise. Maybe they could have breakfast on the strand and you could call them with your cell phone when your color has been called. I don't think they would be able to park in the pick-up/drop-off area to wait for you.

Thank you so much! We do feel very lucky...plus we will get to be with our daughter as long as possible (she will be 13 months the day we leave). And...thanks for the suggestion of the breakfast on the strand. I think I'll pass that along. The only thing I have to figure out now is where the port is. I've tried logging onto sites for Galveston, but can't figure it out.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That was what I have been looking for.

Also, I noticed on your countdowns on the bottom that you have sailed on the Rhapsody. What did you think? We are stopping at Cozumel, Georgetown, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay, Jamaica.

The Rhapsody was our first cruise and it was a last-minute decision. Friends found a great deal and it was our anniversary (we had no plans) so decided to grab the deal. We have a timeshare that we use or trade every year and some of our vacations our center around our son's activities, so we had never even considered cruising. Now we are hooked. I learned too that we can deposit our timeshare week towards a cruise. Hmmm.

About the Rhapsody, we loved it. We were in an outside cabin on deck 4, about 1/4 of the way from the bow. We heard the anchor when it was dropped (only once - Belize, because we couldn't dock there, had to tender) but other than that our cabin was very comfortable for two people. Our cabin steward, head water, assistant waiter, well just everyone really, were so friendly and fun.

You will read complaints from lots of people on these boards about the food. We felt like the food was very good, especially in the dining room, but we aren't picky and felt like we got a great bang for our buck.

Ports - we LOVED Key West (hated to get back on the ship at 10:00), but Cozumel was disappointing because we picked the wrong shore excursion. It was a catamaran sail/snorkel/beach party. The catamaran just drifted about 500 yards from the ship and we snorkeled but there weren't any fish. We motored to a private beach and had about 45 minutes to sun, play volleyball, etc. It was hardly worth the money we paid. When we stop in Cozumel this year on the Grand, we are going to go to Paradise Beach on our own. There really is no danger in missing the ship because taxis are so plentiful -- as long as you make sure you are on ship's time and not local time (don't ask any locals what time it is, bring your own watch and ask for ship's time before you get off the ship).

When we were on Rhapsody in April 2003 the other port was Belize. I'm so glad RCL has dropped Belize, and offers Key West/Cozumel/Grand Cayman and Cozumel/Cayman/Montego Bay instead. I have never been to Jamaica or Cayman (our first time will be in December) so can't help you there, but if you check the boards under Ports of Call, you will find some very good information. I have learned so much about ports from those boards for our June cruise to the Southern Caribbean - never been to any of the ports on that itinerary!

Hope this helps.

Thanks again. We are so excited about this cruise. We booked this right after our daughter was born, so we have been planning it for almost a year. The benefit to that was that we are able to have the trip paid off a little at a time. We've also already booked our shore excursions through RC. In Cozumel, we are doing the Dolphin Experience; in Grand Cayman, we are do the Stingray City/Snorkeling/Lunch combo; and, in Jamaica, we are touring the Appelton Rum Plantation.

Our room is a balcony on deck 7.

We can't wait.

We got lucky and booked a corner aft cabin on the Adventure and have 2 balcony cabins on the Grand Princess. They say that you can never settle for an inside or outside cabin after being in a balcony, so you are starting out at the top! When you get back, post your comments on the Grand Cayman stingray snorkel. We are doing that in December.

Happy Sailing

Note that when going to the port, there is only one entrance which is down on the East end aroung 23rd street. The Rhapsody will be at the Western most terminal. Everyone for both ships go in the same entrance, but stay to the far left and you will go down to the Rhapsody on a lowere road as the right side goes up to the Carnival ship :)

You picked the a great ship for your first cruise. As you can tell we love to sail on the Rhapsody. The ports are great and the crew is very friendly. Since most of the passengers are from Texas they are friendly too.

You will have no problem with the drop off. Be sure to have you luggage tags attached. We usually try to get there about 11:00 so we can have lunch in the Windjammer. When you get back, having your parents plan breakfast in Galveston is a good idea. There is also an IHOP along the beach. You can call them when they call your color and they can pick you up outside.

I am sure you will have a great time and become addicted to cruising. Remember that in Jamica the saying is "No problem mon".

Journey202,

I just did your parents' job for my cousins last week. They went on the Feb 13th sailing on the Rhapsody. Dropping them off was no problem except I had horrible weather to drive in! Coming into Galveston on I-45, the exit for the pier is the very first exit after the big bridge. I think the exit number may be 1C. Then take a left under the freeway and go down a bit. It's exciting when you see the first sight of the ships. Then just as SpringTXBill said. After you enter the terminal follow the signs for Rhapsody, taking the left lower road.

As far as picking up, we weren't quite sure what to do. I live in West Houston, so we decided I would just leave the house at 8:00AM. My cousin called me on her cell phone from the ship around 7:15AM to let me know that they would be going through immigration around 9:15AM. So I didn't leave the house until 8:30AM. I brought along a puzzle book in case I had to wait for them but I didn't. She called me as they were getting their luggage and it was just as I was going over the big bridge. It was perfect timing. When I got to the ship, they were waiting outside. There was a bit of traffic but not more than picking someone up at the airport.

Have a wonderful time. They did!

We just did the Rhapsody in Jan got in a day early, call enterprise (cant do this online) and ask about the car rental we paid $25 to the port and $60 back. Somthing about the cruise getting a cut but the car was right at the port. We did this as an extra trip so we wanted cheap! We went the days inn not very good but was $4o, what more do we want. The staff was really nice. Oh it was very easy to get the car and very easy to get to galveston and get around and we had an SUV both ways! Any questions let me know. We had a great vacation.

Note that when going to the port, there is only one entrance which is down on the East end aroung 23rd street. The Rhapsody will be at the Western most terminal. Everyone for both ships go in the same entrance, but stay to the far left and you will go down to the Rhapsody on a lowere road as the right side goes up to the Carnival ship :)

Thanks for the tip!

You picked the a great ship for your first cruise. As you can tell we love to sail on the Rhapsody. The ports are great and the crew is very friendly. Since most of the passengers are from Texas they are friendly too.

You will have no problem with the drop off. Be sure to have you luggage tags attached. We usually try to get there about 11:00 so we can have lunch in the Windjammer. When you get back, having your parents plan breakfast in Galveston is a good idea. There is also an IHOP along the beach. You can call them when they call your color and they can pick you up outside.

I am sure you will have a great time and become addicted to cruising. Remember that in Jamica the saying is "No problem mon".

We are just so excited!!!! It's still three months away and we can't wait.

Journey202,

I just did your parents' job for my cousins last week. They went on the Feb 13th sailing on the Rhapsody. Dropping them off was no problem except I had horrible weather to drive in! Coming into Galveston on I-45, the exit for the pier is the very first exit after the big bridge. I think the exit number may be 1C. Then take a left under the freeway and go down a bit. It's exciting when you see the first sight of the ships. Then just as SpringTXBill said. After you enter the terminal follow the signs for Rhapsody, taking the left lower road.

As far as picking up, we weren't quite sure what to do. I live in West Houston, so we decided I would just leave the house at 8:00AM. My cousin called me on her cell phone from the ship around 7:15AM to let me know that they would be going through immigration around 9:15AM. So I didn't leave the house until 8:30AM. I brought along a puzzle book in case I had to wait for them but I didn't. She called me as they were getting their luggage and it was just as I was going over the big bridge. It was perfect timing. When I got to the ship, they were waiting outside. There was a bit of traffic but not more than picking someone up at the airport.

Have a wonderful time. They did!

We live in West Houston too (Katy) so we were trying to figure out when to tell them to leave. I might do the same thing and give a call from our cell phone, but I think I may still suggest that they eat in Galveston. The only tough thing is that they will have our 13 month old daughter with them too!

We live in West Houston too (Katy) so we were trying to figure out when to tell them to leave. I might do the same thing and give a call from our cell phone, but I think I may still suggest that they eat in Galveston. The only tough thing is that they will have our 13 month old daughter with them too!

I'm in Bear Creek-we are practically neighbors!

Just play it by ear and it will work out. But have your cell phone handy and make sure they have your number. BTW-I took the toll road all the way round to I-45 South and it was so easy(except for the horrible rain).

Have a wonderful cruise!

Cell phones are almost a must. If you get there a little ahead, it is best to just hang out a couple of blocks away toward the East end of Harborside and when they are coming out of Customs they can call you. I say the East side because most all of the traffic comes from the west side and can be very backed up and there is hardly any on the other side.smile.gif

How about that. I'm off FM 1960 and Champions Forest. (For you Houstonians). I am actually thinking of booking a hotel in Galveston a night before and leaving the car at the hotel and grabbing a hotel shuttle. Anyone done this before? I understand most NICE hotels will not charge you parking.

Alphawave,

Book at the Tremont if they will let you reserve only one night, it's a lovely hotel and there are good restaurants close by. Try Luigi's! Then sleep late, have room service breakfast, "mosey' on over to the terminal. I would do that in a heartbeat.

P.S. - we are in Walden on Lake Houston, Atascocita area. Funny how a large number of Rhapsody cruisers are from Texas or California.

I'm in Bear Creek-we are practically neighbors!

Just play it by ear and it will work out. But have your cell phone handy and make sure they have your number. BTW-I took the toll road all the way round to I-45 South and it was so easy(except for the horrible rain).

Have a wonderful cruise!

We *are* neighbors! I worked in Bear Creek last year before I moved back into Katy (I work for KISD). I think the tool way would probably be the best bet for us. Hopefully, on a Sunday morning, traffic will not be too bad.

Is it June yet?

Does anyone know of a transport service from the airport in Houston to Galveston.

Flying in a day early.

Any hotel recommends near port that offer to the ship shuttles?

Thanks......

Go to http://www.galvestonlimousine. They offer shuttles from the airport to Galveston. We are staying at Hotel Galvez but they don't offer a shuttle because of the distance. It is about and hour.

Good luck finding a hotel.

Norma

Archived